Evening Stroll In Rural Thailand

Having been recently seriously advised not to take walks after dark around my hosts' seemingly peacable and prosperous Nakorn Sri Thammarat village, I am left wondering whether this is now true in most of the Thai countryside. The claim was that the new prosperity has bred armies of highway men, and the ubiquitous motorcycles have encouraged village dogs to savage pedestrians. This was not true in Isan in the old days, maybe times have changed for the worse?

It's like anywhere else. If you make yourself a target someone may decide that rolling you is worth the risk. A gold chain around your neck, a Rolex and a fat bulge in your back pocket will put you at risk. I feel safe walking at anytime of the day or night in my uniform of the day. Shorts, T shirt and sandals. As far as dogs, they are educated. A decent sturdy stick will keep them away from you. A rock in hand doesn't hurt either or even acting like you have something to throw at them will normally discourage them.

Every time I try and walk around after dark in my wife's village, they come after me. Mainly due to the dogs. They are everywhere and are quite aggressive. Many of the local folks get bitten. You just don't see a lot of people walking around late at night...too bad...

Tahiland is lke anywhere in the world. Don't put temptation in the way of unscrupulous people. try walking the back streets of Manchester late at night. Overall I think its as safe as anywhere, take care and don't invite trouble. Like a previous post said, dont flash expensive jewellery or open a bulging wallet in full view.

Thanks for these interesting posts. One perception is that mafia-like gangs (from the next ampur, of course, not this one) rule the dark, at least in Nakorn Sri, and that a wandering farang in a rural area could be the target of an organized robbery or kidnapping. Having lived in a small village in Isan many years ago, this seems absurd to me, but it raises the question of whether rural Thailand, especially Isan, now has a developing criminal structure. Or whether TV and motorcycle mobility has introduced criminal thrill-seeking among the fast and furious. I haven't seen this on a few excursions to small Isan moob bahns, but those who live there would know better.

Weigh the risks. You're more likely to get your house robbed while out with tilac, than you are to get mugged while out with tilac. They watch you leave..As for potential muggers, she'll fight em off, don't worry mate..she'll fight hard to protect her investment!!

Don't forget it also depends on how you stroll, body language says a lot.

Do you appear as a hapless back packer or like an Italian walking in Brooklyn,

A friend of mine frequently wears a tee that's says "Please F... With Me", and yes he's usually half serious,

... body language.

Dogs too can sense fear and furtiveness, if you can't stare them down then employ said stick. :o

Just curious ... to the OP ... have you heard of ANY kidnappings in NST of Farang?

Never heard of it, these are just what the NST locals prophesy (a week after a local rubber truck robbery/shootup).

On staring dogs down: I'm not sure that produces the intended result. My best success is picking up a rock in a casual way that suggests that this will be the tenth dog you've fatally stoned that evening.