New darkside French Bistro

prk888

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just got home from this place and am now tucking into the beef bourguignon (190 baht). And very nice it is, too, made with red wine. If the rest of his food is as good as this, then I will be a regular customer. Didn't catch the guy's name, but he's very friendly and chatty with a good attitude, so I wish him well in his new venture (opened just two days ago).

Other main courses are quiche lorraine, roast chicken in olive oil, farm fresh eggs bacon omelet, pork chop with mustard sauce, spaghetti bolognaise, bbq pork/chicken, ham and cheese pancakes, cheeseburger. So a relatively limited menu, but generous proportions. I hope he has more luck than the much missed Alexandros restaurant.

If you know Aroi restaurant, then Le Bistro 89 is just a few metres away. So, two very good restaurants now in soi 89.

Edit - forgot - there are a range of Thai dishes as well.

Edited by WitawatWatawit

the owner (from Normandy) is Alan and son is Nicholas and yes seemingly good guys creating a friendly ambience. Alan's wife is the chef! Other friends have also now tried and praised the beef bourgignon. House wine very acceptable and a largish carafe at B400 (glass at B70) goes down well Bistro 89 is on my doorstep too, as is Aroi.. lucky us

By my calculation it must be somewhere near here: http://goo.gl/maps/hjTJe

That Google maps photo is two years old so there are probably four high-rise condos and fifteen 7/11s there now.

Yes, that location you googled up is 300m up Sukhumvit 89 and is still a wilderness.

Bistro 89 is NOT up Sukhumvit 89. That's the next road south, just before the traffic lights.

Bistro 89 is up Toongklom-Talman 89. That's the one with the 7-eleven on the corner.

And it is on the RIGHT after you cross over the railway tracks headed east from Sukhumvit, before you get to Aroi (on the same side).

Bistro 89 is up Toongklom-Talman 89. That's the one with the 7-eleven on the corner.

I dont think I've ever driven up that soi. I certainly dont recognise it from street view. I shall have to go up there next time I go out.

By my calculation it must be somewhere near here: http://goo.gl/maps/hjTJe

That Google maps photo is two years old so there are probably four high-rise condos and fifteen 7/11s there now.

Yes, that location you googled up is 300m up Sukhumvit 89 and is still a wilderness.

Bistro 89 is NOT up Sukhumvit 89. That's the next road south, just before the traffic lights.

And it is on the RIGHT after you cross over the railway tracks headed east from Sukhumvit, before you get to Aroi (on the same side).

I stand corrected - TT 89. Got confused as I usually go there from the opposite direction. Hope I didn't spoil anyone's day.

I've just got home from this place and am now tucking into the beef bourguignon (190 baht). And very nice it is, too, made with red wine. If the rest of his food is as good as this, then I will be a regular customer. Didn't catch the guy's name, but he's very friendly and chatty with a good attitude, so I wish him well in his new venture (opened just two days ago).

Other main courses are quiche lorraine, roast chicken in olive oil, farm fresh eggs bacon omelet, pork chop with mustard sauce, spaghetti bolognaise, bbq pork/chicken, ham and cheese pancakes, cheeseburger. So a relatively limited menu, but generous proportions. I hope he has more luck than the much missed Alexandros restaurant.

If you know Aroi restaurant, then Le Bistro 89 is just a few metres away. So, two very good restaurants now in soi 89.

Can we try to forget the Thai food? One of my pet peeves is when I'm having a tasty western meal at a farang restaurant and somebody's Thai partner orders a somtam salad and stinks up the joint!

And I believe both Aroi and this Bistro88 are located on soi Nongkraborg. If going south on sukie, it's the soi right before the Ford dealership. For those on the Darkside, make your way to pattanakarn road and take it all the way south till the T-junction and turn right. At the road fork, keep on your left.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What time do they open?

Apart from lunch/dinner. is it a breakfast place (breakfast menu) or more of a brunch place?

I passed there at 10 this morning and it was open, but don't know how early they open.

i am belgium i will cheq it out on friday i know french cuisine and belgium i will tell you

i am belgium i will cheq it out on friday i know french cuisine and belgium i will tell you

Aroi is also Belgian owned I think. I tried the meatballs there, it was very aroi.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Was there yesterday for lunch with a friend. We both had the "Boeuf Bourguignon" and we both were dissappointed.

We got served a kind of beef stew but definately not the "Boeuf Bourguignon" as I know it.

Won't be returning.

Yermanee wai.gif

Has anyone eaten at the Aroi restaurant a few doors down? Going to try one of the two for lunch tomorrow with a couple of Aussie friends and wondering which would be the best bet.

Was there yesterday for lunch with a friend. We both had the "Boeuf Bourguignon" and we both were dissappointed.

We got served a kind of beef stew but definately not the "Boeuf Bourguignon" as I know it.

Won't be returning.

Yermanee wai.gif

So funny how people have such differing opinions and or standards on what goes down their hatch...one guy loves it and another can't stand the same dish from the same restaurant. That's one reason I cook 80% of my meals at home.

Won't be returning.

Yermanee wai.gif

So funny how people have such differing opinions and or standards on what goes down their hatch...one guy loves it and another can't stand the same dish from the same restaurant. That's one reason I cook 80% of my meals at home.

Well excuse me. I'm Belgian and a bit of a cook myself.

I do happen to know how Boeuf Bourguignon should be made and what we got at this french bistro was definetly not the real deal.

If it had been described as a beef stew chef's style I would NOT have ordered it.

Anyway individual tastes differ but that doesn't mean one can name a dish after something well known and then give something different altogether, as for example fried fish with french fries is not fish and chips.

Yermanee wai.gif

Has anyone eaten at the Aroi restaurant a few doors down? Going to try one of the two for lunch tomorrow with a couple of Aussie friends and wondering which would be the best bet.

Yep, been to Aroi a couple of times and was good. Had a nice beef skewer on one occasion and a giant Vol au Vent (very 1970's) on another. Can't recall prices but nothing untoward I don't think. And a nice place to be in as well.

Won't be returning.

Yermanee wai.gif

I do happen to know how Boeuf Bourguignon should be made and what we got at this french bistro was definetly not the real deal.

If it had been described as a beef stew chef's style I would NOT have ordered it.

Anyway individual tastes differ but that doesn't mean one can name a dish after something well known and then give something different altogether, as for example fried fish with french fries is not fish and chips.

Yermanee wai.gif

Boeuf Bourguignon is made with wine french belgium with beer but a tai making stoverij????

The place's owner is apparently from Normandy, which is a long way from bourgignon country. Even in France a beef bourgignon can vary quite a lot from one place to another.

Change countries and the variations can be extreme.

And we all know that any sort of filleted fish and sliced potatoes fried up is likely to be called "fish and chips" somewhere or another. If you want the real thing made with fresh cold-water fish and proper batter and the right sort of fresh potatoes fried in beef dripping then you should go to Britain for it. In Pattaya you will only get some sort of local imitation or some frozen import, though it may be perfectly acceptable as such. They will still call it "fish and chips" though.

The place's owner is apparently from Normandy, which is a long way from bourgignon country. Even in France a beef bourgignon can vary quite a lot from one place to another.

And we all know that any sort of filleted fish and sliced potatoes fried up is likely to be called "fish and chips" somewhere or another. If you want the real thing made with fresh cold-water fish and proper batter and the right sort of fresh potatoes fried in beef dripping then you should go to Britain for it. In Pattaya you will only get some sort of local imitation or some frozen import, though it may be perfectly acceptable as such. They will still call it "fish and chips" though.

I beg to differ. I've eaten boeuf bourguignon alover France and the basics are allways the same. Cooking style may differ from chef to chef but the result should be recognizeable as the dish it pertains to be.

I don't go to a restaurant to eat something vagely resembling the dish I fancy at that moment in time.

Anyway as I said I won't be returning but I wish them goodluck. They will need it.

Yermanee wai.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I beg to differ. I've eaten boeuf bourguignon alover France and the basics are allways the same. Cooking style may differ from chef to chef but the result should be recognizeable as the dish it pertains to be.

I don't go to a restaurant to eat something vagely resembling the dish I fancy at that moment in time.

Anyway as I said I won't be returning but I wish them goodluck. They will need it.

Yermanee wai.gif alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

Is it a Thai or Belgian chef?

Yermanee wai.gif alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

Is it a Thai or Belgian chef?

I have no idea, I saw only 2 Thai sisters. One doing the cooking and the other waiting tables.

Doesn't mean however that the dish wasn't cooked by the french owner and then reheated by the Thai (which I guess it was) This in it self is no problem with boeuf bourguignon.

Yermanee wai.gif

I've eaten boeuf bourguignon alover France and the basics are allways the same. Cooking style may differ from chef to chef but the result should be recognizeable as the dish it pertains to be.

What exactly was wrong with the bourgignon you had there? As mentioned, it is basically just a beef stew with wine. Did they forget to put the wine in perhaps?

I went to a place once for Sunday lunch and their new cook made the Yorkshire puddings with very little or no flour in, which as you may know means they came out as fluffy omelettes. But such an error didn't stop me going back again and it did improve quickly.

I'm with yermanee here. There are traditional dishes and they should be prepared according to the standards. Otherwise call it differently.

I had years ago on this forum a rant about instant coffee. Some member suggested to treat this as a completely different drink. Nothing to disagree here. But when I order a coffee and get served a completely different drink I have the right to send it back to the kitchen, right?

Yes, I have been called a food nazi before on this forum, but that's probably the plight people with functioning taste buds have to live with.

On a side note : since yermanee admitted to being Belgian, I think a name change is due :-P

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app