New darkside French Bistro

prk888

A friend and I just visited Bistro 89 for lunch today for the first time. I tried the "controversial" Boeuf Bourguignon. My friend had the Pork Chop w/mustard sauce. We shared a cucumber salad as an appetizer.

I'll get the bad news out of the way first. I do not like outdoor dining here in Thailand. Even with fans (which they have at Bistro 89) I find it too hot to be totally comfortable; and too exposed to the unwanted and unhealthy visits of dozens of flies. I'm hoping that the owner will make enough money to build a front wall, and install air con VERY SOON! I realize that I am more negative toward this than many here. I'm just stating my opinion and preference.

One more caveat to add. I and my friend are Americans. I can not claim to be experienced in the appreciation of "properly prepared" French or Belgian cuisine. I judge all food, regardless of its geographic or cultural origin, on my personal rating of its taste. My favorite expression regarding the rating of food is: "There is no such thing as right or wrong when evaluating food. It is entirely a matter of personal opinion." I am, therefore, a bit intolerant of people who criticize others for their tastes. It's like criticizing people because their nose is too big/small! I do, however, accept the opinion of people on the "authenticity" of foods prepared according to some ethnic or cultural method. I see a definite distinction between the contents and method of preparation, and the "taste" of the food. I hope all that is clear.

All that said, both my friend and I found the food to be well above average for falang food here in Thailand. While the Boeuf Bourguignon may not have been prepared as it is in France, I enjoyed the overall quality and flavor of the dish. The beef was tender and lean; and the broth was full flavored, and not over salted (which is often a problem with American Beef Stew). It passed my simple test for new dishes. I ask myself "Would you order that again?" In this case, the answer was a definite "Yes!"

My friend said that the Pork Chop rated a strong 'B'. He said the meat was nicely grilled, though perhaps a bit too long, as it was a little dry. But he praised the mustard sauce. "Not the best in town", he opined; but said he, too, would order it again. (Want the best Pork Chop dinner in Thailand? Try 'Richman Poorman Guesthouse', located on Soi 9, Jomtien Beach. Highest possible quality!)

We both enjoyed the Cucumber Salad appetizer. Light and tasty.

I'll add that the beer was served very cold. Of course, with no air con, it warmed very quickly. :-(

I will definitely return to Bistro 89 to try some of the other interesting breakfast and lunch dishes on the menu. ... But my visits will be limited by the environment. Especially with the comfortable air con of 'Aroi', and its excellent menu, ,just a few meters down the road. I strongly hope that Bistro 89 has enough success to afford to install air con very soon! :-)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We headed over to Bistro 89 today to have lunch with a couple of Aussie visitors but I wasn't prepared for it to be an open air restaurant, so we ended up at the Aroi instead. Food was passable at the Aroi but I don't know if I'd be rushing back anytime soon.

@patsfarang : as much as I agree with you that personal taste is as its name indicates a very personal thing, there are food items out there that need to be prepared according to a traditional fashion.

If - to stick with the example - enjoyed the boeuf bourgignon even though it was - according to yermanee - not prepared the way it should be, then it might be possible that you don't like boeuf bourgignon but whatever beef stew they mislabelled.

I also believe that people who imbibe instant "coffee" simply don't like coffee, otherwise they would drink it only at gun point.

Now this all very hypothetically since myself - the food nazi of the board - hasn't had his own go at the corpus delicti.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Btw, I just had the French breakfast at la boulange in Soi Khao Noi and was slightly underwhelmed.

It might be called L'Estragon .. or something else. I'm never quite sure as the advertising signs outside are confusing. They are so nondescript that It seems like the owner has no desire to promote his business. (The breakfast, BTW, consists of 2 dishes only - one of which is the ubiquitous and very dull American breakfast, and the other a chocolate croissant a la francais. No thank you monsieur.)

Also, he seems to be determined to keep this place a very French only establishment. I've been there many times to buy his prepared dishes, which for the most part are quite acceptable to this caveman's palate. But he is totally uncommunicative as an individual. Never met a restaurateur like this. He and his French friends huddle around the bar and seem quite off-put when I try to engage them in small talk in English. His wife (at least I think it's his wife) is on the other hand, very pleasant.

We headed over to Bistro 89 today to have lunch with a couple of Aussie visitors but I wasn't prepared for it to be an open air restaurant, so we ended up at the Aroi instead. Food was passable at the Aroi but I don't know if I'd be rushing back anytime soon.

You were expecting ...what? Michelin five-star cuisine based on a minimal review of a restaurant on the darkside, mentioned only once on TV and nowhere else? I think it's a case of "more fool you".

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You were expecting ...what? Michelin five-star cuisine based on a minimal review of a restaurant on the darkside, mentioned only once on TV and nowhere else? I think it's a case of "more fool you".

Yes, and no starched white tablecloths either. What a letdown.

I'm with yermanee here. There are traditional dishes and they should be prepared according to the standards. Otherwise call it differently.

I had years ago on this forum a rant about instant coffee. Some member suggested to treat this as a completely different drink. Nothing to disagree here. But when I order a coffee and get served a completely different drink I have the right to send it back to the kitchen, right?

Yes, I have been called a food nazi before on this forum, but that's probably the plight people with functioning taste buds have to live with.

On a side note : since yermanee admitted to being Belgian, I think a name change is due :-P

I thought jt was the resident TV Pattaya food nazi.

I'm with yermanee here. There are traditional dishes and they should be prepared according to the standards. Otherwise call it differently.

I had years ago on this forum a rant about instant coffee. Some member suggested to treat this as a completely different drink. Nothing to disagree here. But when I order a coffee and get served a completely different drink I have the right to send it back to the kitchen, right?

Yes, I have been called a food nazi before on this forum, but that's probably the plight people with functioning taste buds have to live with.

On a side note : since yermanee admitted to being Belgian, I think a name change is due :-P

I thought jt was the resident TV Pattaya food nazi.
he's my scholar.

I would volunteer to drive him over.

JT, if you see this, please send me a pm.

I am anyways somewhat inclined having an official boeuf bourgignon tasting with the participants of this thread any time soon. .

I would volunteer to drive him over.

JT, if you see this, please send me a pm.

I am anyways somewhat inclined having an official boeuf bourgignon tasting with the participants of this thread any time soon. .

Sorry won't be participating, as I said I won't return.

I'm like the donkey that never stumbles over the same rock twice (a saying in my home country). biggrin.png

Furthermore since the 2 thai girls seemed to know about ThaiVisa maybe the owner knows about the comments made and has adressed the issue.

And as Raro said, a traditional dish is named traditional for a reason and this particular item is not to hard to prepare, just takes a lot of time.

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee

Not really impressed with Aroi having gone there 3 times, or maybe 4. Kept thinking it might improve trying something else on the menu and it seems the owner takes a lot of interest in service, just not impressed. Also not impressed with allowing smokers to light up in an air conditioned restaurant. Thought that was a thing of the last millenium.

Reading this thread, not sure if I will bother stopping at Bistro 89 now either. Sounds like a place that will come and go from most of the thread.

Have to agree with Jmccarty on this, Aroi is nothing special food wise and mediocre service, just handy to visit if we cant be bothered going further afield.

Would try Bistro 89, but I sweat too much eating outside, needs to be aircon for me.

People with a "gourmet" attitude are going to approach a restaurant with different aspirations to those of us who just want consistent good quality. I think Aroi offers that, which is why I regard it as my favourite restaurant on the darkside - never any surprises (the same goes with service, Lemel - Aroi is not a high-end restaurant with liveried waiters). I hope, as time goes by, that Bistro 89 will continue to provide nice meals at a reasonable cost (don't sweat the aircon, folks).

(Sorry, but I'm a bog peasant at heart. I had to look up "gourmet" in the dictionary.)

• 1 month later...

5 of us ate there again last night. Pate, prawns, pasta and omelette all excellent. Salads fresh. Quiche a tad bland and informed chef. Very quaffable carafes of wine. I still say it's very good value with inexpensive tasty French-style food.

5 of us ate there again last night. Pate, prawns, pasta and omelette all excellent. Salads fresh. Quiche a tad bland and informed chef. Very quaffable carafes of wine. I still say it's very good value with inexpensive tasty French-style food.

You informed the chef that the Quiche was bland, ha ha, I bet he/she loved that.

Eaten there 3 times now, it's ok, but won't be bothering again. I think they are going to struggle now the initial 'euthoria' is wearing off.

Edited by Essex Exile

You informed the chef that the Quiche was bland, ha ha, I bet he/she loved that.

Eaten there 3 times now, it's ok, but won't be bothering again. I think they are going to struggle now the initial 'euthoria' is wearing off.

yes, have to agree.....

you're entitled to your views of course but personally I reckon they will have a long life serving good food at very reasonable prices

Am I missing something? Euthoria? An Essex word? Is that to do with teenagers and their fixations?

you're entitled to your views of course but personally I reckon they will have a long life serving good food at very reasonable prices

Am I missing something? Euthoria? An Essex word? Is that to do with teenagers and their fixations?

No, no... that's: euthanasia (youthinasia!). He means: euphoria.

Are you really sure Michaelaway? As it's food and nourishment related could he possibly mean eutheria? As an educated Essex boy known to make incisive comments and decisive decisions (refer above #79) he might well do. Let's wait and see. .................

Yea, I admit I had a 'mare there, although I did realise I'd spelt it wrong afterwards...

I will be interested to hear Mr Plumbs if you think it is good food at a fair price ...................... even with no air/con !

Maybe go with some friends and try various dishes.

I have no commercial interest in this Bistro but it is just a hop skip and a jump from my house so I have an interest in it being there for some time to come.

Thks

How clueless and detached from your environment do you have to be to complain about heat in your chosen tropical locale, and the presence of insects during an outdoor dining experience.

Apparently the owner of this shop house bistro needs to charter a jet to fly in the freshest ingredients daily from france to ensure the authenticity of his french quisine. Maybe should hire in some authentic french waiters and chefs as well, and should furnish his shophouse bistro with only the finest french tables, chairs, linens, and cutlery.

Maybe I have been eating 30 baht thai food from the local markets for too long and am going native.

When I do eat at western places I'm usually pleased to be eating something different.

• 3 weeks later...

for various reasons I now have to pass the Bistro twice each night between 7.00 and 10pm and regularly see between 6 and 12 diners each time. Must be doing something right in these hard times !