Australia world cup thread

Schillaci

Australia are the first team to arrive in Brazil (and probably the first to leave!) after arriving in their home base of Vitoria yesterday. It's going to be an uphill battle for the Socceroos in a tough group. Australia limped in to the world cup finals with a 1-0 win over Iraq last year. The qualification process was marred by poor performances and the then managers unwillingness to blood new players. The 'golden generation' have largely moved on. Gone are the days of most of the squad playing in the top European leagues. New Manager Ange Postecoglou was brought in to rebuild the squad. An unenviable task only months out from the Cup. The situation has been made worse with injuries to key players Curtis Good (Dundee United) and Robbie Kruse (Bayer Leverkusen) ruling them out of Brazil. The biggest worry is the inexperienced and under strength defense which looks shaky at best.
Now for some positives. Ange isn't a manger to park the bus. We're going to get smashed but at least it will be entertaining and in front of plenty of fans with Australia having the 2nd most traveling supporters after the USA with over 10,000 making the trek.
So lets go!
Friday 13th/14
Arena Pantanal
Cuiaba
Kick off 08:00 AEST 5:00 ICT
chi.png VS aus.png
Chile Australia
Wednesday 18th/19th
Estadio Beira-Rio
Porto Alegre
Kick off 02:00 AEST 23:00 ICT
aus.png VS ned.png
Australia Netherlands
Monday 23rd/24th
Arena da Baixada
Curitiba
Kick off 02:00 AEST 23:00 ICT
aus.png VS esp.png
Australia Spain
Edited by Schillaci
  • Like 2

We're going to get smashed but at least it will be entertaining and in front of plenty of fans with Australia having the 2nd most traveling supporters after the USA with over 10,000 making the trek.

Where do you get this from?

This tournament has come too early for this squad but Ange Postecoglou has been very positive in selecting players for the future. We will have the Asian Cup shortly and really have nothing to lose in this WC. It would have been pointless taking the likes of Lucas Neil, Harry Kewell, Mark Swartzer etc.

Jedinak is an excellent choice for captain and was outstanding for Crystal Palace this season.He sets a great example of high tempo football even his tackling style is a little over aggressive at times.

Australia has just experienced a huge increase in the quality of play and crowds in the A League this season and the number of young players coming through makes the future look very promising.

Just getting to the WC ,although some will say we had an easy ride,inspires a whole new generation, we do love our sport.

Australia are right getting out there this early. I can't believe countries, particularly European ones are leaving it so late to travel and acclimatize to the conditions in Brazil. The conditions out there will sap your energy and even two weeks isn't enough to thin your blood etc.

Australia are right getting out there this early. I can't believe countries, particularly European ones are leaving it so late to travel and acclimatize to the conditions in Brazil. The conditions out there will sap your energy and even two weeks isn't enough to thin your blood etc.

Haha the sh1thole isn't ready for world class superstars yet .Doubt if it will ever be but i'd rather keep my team away as long as possible .Other countries have better options to get acclimatised .

Aussies on a jaunt comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a big discussion yesterday on Offsiders as to what Big Ange is trying to achieve, and what can be expected.

The questions raised were: is he really trying to use the 2014 World Cup finals simply as part of his rebuilding program? Is that the right approach? Would Australia have a better chance getting out of this horrible group if he had kept the veteran players in the squad?

The final scenario was: given the strength of the opposition, it's not unreasonable to see Australia return with a record of Played 3, Lost 3, Goals For 0, Goals Against 10.

Would that result damage the standing of Australian soccer, whether among fans, management, media, sponsors, or even the players themselves?

All the best to Big Ange and the players.

There was a big discussion yesterday on Offsiders as to what Big Ange is trying to achieve, and what can be expected.

The questions raised were: is he really trying to use the 2014 World Cup finals simply as part of his rebuilding program? Is that the right approach? Would Australia have a better chance getting out of this horrible group if he had kept the veteran players in the squad?

The final scenario was: given the strength of the opposition, it's not unreasonable to see Australia return with a record of Played 3, Lost 3, Goals For 0, Goals Against 10.

Would that result damage the standing of Australian soccer, whether among fans, management, media, sponsors, or even the players themselves?

All the best to Big Ange and the players.

The way we limped into qualification for the world cup pretty much said it all, many of the former stalwarts had seen better days.

Sacking the old coach i think didnt make much sense though not blooding new players made even less sense.

Were here and weather we went with the veterans or an inexperienced side as we have, the very fact were up against 2 top euro nations and a leading Sth American nation our expectations should be low.

If we manage to draw even one game and not loose by more than 3 goals in any game then we can consider ourselves lucky.

We have in the past shown that we can beat a Sth American team so Chile is pretty much our only chance to even get a point, after that the Spanish and Dutch teams are just way to skillful and experienced to think anything like an upset is possible.

The A league at this stage is no were near the standard where you could expect to provide more than 1 or 2 good players to the national squad.

I'm guessing Ange didn't have much of an option with the clean out as a lot of the former team were already 35 plus and is looking at getting a result at the Asian Cup, we do need to take that off if we are ever going to move up the rankings.

I'm guessing Ange didn't have much of an option with the clean out as a lot of the former team were already 35 plus and is looking at getting a result at the Asian Cup, we do need to take that off if we are ever going to move up the rankings.

What do you mean "take it off"?

You chose to play in the AFC, so get on with it.

They're going to get their <deleted> kicked in all three games.

On this, sadly I have to agree.

I heard the Chilien Coach say to his players ...

"Tomorrow we will have a heavy training run"

an hour later he recanted ...

"Tomorrow we will have a light training run ... we have a pool match against the Austrians Australians"

An exercise in damage limitation may be the best tactic,otherwise some of theses players could end up with mental scar's it could be immpossible to erase.

No hype here in Australia.

... and I agree with the above comment.

If we can score a goal ... just one goal ... the Cup would be judged a s a success.

The focus for us is the next Asia Cup, develop the young players and attack the next world Cup in 4 years time (wherevere that maybe)

• Like 1

Hey David,

you were just really unlucky getting in this group, i think this is the "group of death' is it not.

Yes ... death is likely.

Soccer isn't the big game here, but we try hard.

For example, over the week-end our Ladies Hockey Team play Holland for the 'World Cup' ... the Final.

Here, Soccer is not a religion ... it's just a game.

But we pride ourselves on being a sporting Nation.

That said. I'll be up at 5.30 for the pre-game prologue and cheer the boys on tomorrow morning.

EDIt ... maybe, having just read the above ... I maybe up at 4.30.

Edited by David48

Good luck Aussie from an Englishman. thumbsup.gif

I wish you well for two reasons. My club's captain is in the Australia squad and you have the toughest task of any team in Brazil just to get out of your group.

So all the best, boys!

• Like 1

Good luck Aussie from an Englishman. thumbsup.gif

I wish you well for two reasons. My club's captain is in the Australia squad and you have the toughest task of any team in Brazil just to get out of your group.

So all the best, boys!

Crystal palace?, big bamboo,was really amazed how you turned it around last season,good luck,and one of the best names in English football,up there with Tottenham hotspur,Sheffeild wednesday,and Accrington Stanley.

• Like 1

We were more than respectable against chile, hats off to ange and the boys, just a little bit of luck and that draw was more than possible if not more, was a great game easily one of the best ive seen the socceroos play.

Bring on the Dutch.

They deserved a draw..line ball with Timmy Cahills' second goal and their third one was offside..cruel ending to a great all round showing.It was always going to be a learning curve with a new set of players but they did their best and just fell short!