Bad News: Double & Triple Entry Visas No More

For me it means marrying a lil bit earlier. I hope they are not going to restrict the marriage visa's . It is a bummer i wanted to see how things went a lil bit longer.

Be aware that there have been reports from Penang thet they are only providing SINGLE entry non-o visas for first timers :o Apparently the second time you go to Penang you can get a multi.

KL is a far better bet, and BTW, a far nicer place. The Embassy is nice and easy to find too :D

Thanks for the warning. The problem is that me and my gf (soon to be wife) love diving and we would do some diving then in penang. I will check it out.

Friend of mine was down lin Penang last week and only got single. Apparently the normal consul is on holiday and there is a temp in from Burma who may not be au fait with what is going on there. He/she is probably applying the rules as they see fit from Burma and normal service may be resumed in the near future. I will monitor and keep u posted

This message received from my little man in penang who sorts things out for me. Hope it helps- looks like some people's timing was just out. "Thanks for the mail . Yes its true . This happens only this months for about 16 days when the first officer went on holidays . His assistant who is quite new at it only gave out single entry visa . It back to normal now. Got triple now visa today . Well hope he is at his office when you come "

Went on my normal Penang run to get my usual triple entry tourist visa and was blind sided with the bad news; single entry visas only from now on.

Where did you get this news from, direct from the consul or from the agents there that sort the visa out for you?

Do you have a work permit, or are you in a retirement or some other criteria????

If he had a work permit - would he come back with a tourist visa?

Typical. While other countries are opening up to attract more people (tourists, investors etc), Thailand is becoming more difficult. First the company shareholder crackdown, now this. I mean, what does it matter whether someone lives here on a tourist visa and gets a new one every three or six months or so? He will still be spending money here. I really don't get the attitude of the immigration department. Maybe it's time to look for somewhere else before I get kicked out on a short notice...

Try to look at it from an Immigration point of view. Not all foreigners are westerners who just have money and are willing to spend it here. There are a lot of foreigners using the same procedure to get into Thailand, but then will not just lay in the sun waiting for evening to come. Means they work, without work permit which is illegal and taking the jobs Thais can do by themselves. It is natural that a country tries to stop this. All western countries do. Or can I just walk in and out of the USA, Australia etc. as if it was a hotel? What do you expect Thailand to do? Create a double class visa policy? First class for people who have money and just enjoy life, second class for all those poor guys who try to make a better living than in their home country? In front of the immigration law we westerners are not better than anybody else - we are just foreigners. That might not sound very friendly, but at least it is fair.

Typical. While other countries are opening up to attract more people (tourists, investors etc), Thailand is becoming more difficult. First the company shareholder crackdown, now this. I mean, what does it matter whether someone lives here on a tourist visa and gets a new one every three or six months or so? He will still be spending money here. I really don't get the attitude of the immigration department. Maybe it's time to look for somewhere else before I get kicked out on a short notice...

Try to look at it from an Immigration point of view. Not all foreigners are westerners who just have money and are willing to spend it here. There are a lot of foreigners using the same procedure to get into Thailand, but then will not just lay in the sun waiting for evening to come. Means they work, without work permit which is illegal and taking the jobs Thais can do by themselves. It is natural that a country tries to stop this. All western countries do. Or can I just walk in and out of the USA, Australia etc. as if it was a hotel? What do you expect Thailand to do? Create a double class visa policy? First class for people who have money and just enjoy life, second class for all those poor guys who try to make a better living than in their home country? In front of the immigration law we westerners are not better than anybody else - we are just foreigners. That might not sound very friendly, but at least it is fair.

I absolutely agree. Although it is the employer's duty to check the employees papers, and make sure he or she has the correct papers before employing that person in the first place. Look at the situation in many European countries, or in the USA: the immigrants go there with a vision of a better life. Sure, they're working illegally but it's the employers who use them as cheap labour and break the law. All foreigners are equal - saying otherwise would be discriminating.

Having said that, why not let someone with sufficient funds stay here, even if he or she is under 50? Let that person give proof of funds, have him or her checked for any criminal records etc. If criminals and other unwanted people manage to get into the country (as we all know they do) it's a failure of the immigration department - think of the prostitutes from Uzbekistan who entered Thailand recently and did some "business" here before being caught. They were blacklisted, they weren't supposed to be able to enter the country in the first place.

My friends…

Like it or not there are many reasons for Thai Immigration to tighten up entry rules.

The first being; if a visitor is living, de facto, in the Kingdom without a work permit, many ask, what is their reason for a long stay here? Every country in the world has a right to control its borders and visa rules.

Any legitimate foreigner can easily qualify for a long stay visa. No problem.

But if you come in on a tourist visa, please explain to us by what guide should a person be allowed sequential entries? Especially, since there are multiple avenues to secure long stay visas and residency permits.

Border runs are simply a dodge to avoid the real pain of going to the effort of showing the Thai government a valid reason to stay in the Kingdom.

I can’t count on all fingers and toes the Farangs I’ve come across in the Kingdom who have no visible means of support.

I might suggest you check US Immigration rules. Stringent? That’s an understatement.

Sawasdee,

TG

For me it's not an enormous deal. I'm here only for my gf. I suppose if things got really bad, I could move to another Asian country where she is welcome. It's not like I need to be in Thailand, in fact nothing could be farther from the truth.

NOTE: These people do not work for the consulate (embassy). They do not speak for the consuilate, and more than likely their problem has more to do with their usual "inside man" being on vacation or having been transfered than any new consulate policy. These "agents" have an associate who works at the consulate which they hand off the visa to. What they do is technically illegal.

The Embassy is in Kuala Lumpur. Penang is a Consulate. The service of a travel agent to obtain visas for there clients is not illegal. They turn the passports over to the same people you see; at the same desk. They may have other arrangements for fast service for overtime pay; but for normal processing there is nothing dark and sinister. That we do not have full details is obvious and I have seen times when the Consulate required all applications to be made in person (but only for brief periods). With the high interest rate shown so far I suspect we will know more soon.

It is illegal because they pay off government officials at the consulate.

A couple of years ago I was in Singapore getting a one year multiple entry B visa. They told me they don't issue them there, I laughed of course "yes you do you little <deleted>, now run back there and talk to someone more important than you, about getting me one"

Again with the "so sorry, all we can give you is single entry"

Well this is a laugh, I have a work permit, and all the usual documents.

Anyways, I called up my contact at the revenue department, and told them I could not pay my corporate income taxes until the very end of the deadline date this year, as there was a problem with my visa request and it was going to throw my life into disarray (bit of an exageration).

One hour later, calls had been placed, and word had made it all the way down to Singapore.

The little <deleted> comes back to announce the good news, he arranged for me to get a 1 year visa, like he was doing me a favor.

I told him I had gotten it, and he was just the usual annoyance in the Thai "red tape" machine, that I had to put up with on a daily basis.

How this relates is, if you are benefiting them, special exceptions can always be made, this is Thailand.

The Thai government could careless if every person that makes back to back tourist visa runs, leaves tomorrow.

You don't benefit them significately so why should they care.

Come or go makes no difference to them.

I am not saying it is right, its just the way things are.

I'm here only for my gf.
I believe the question was: how does a tourist living in Thailand for years on end on multiple back-to-back tourist visas or non-visa border runs support himself? How does he earn his living? How do you earn your living?

Isn’t this what Immigration is wondering? Isn’t this why consulates have been instructed to be more restrictive in issuing repetitive visas to the same applicant?

---------------

Maestro

My situation is that I have a pension which would qualify for a retirement visa but I'm still a few years shy of 50. I also meet the cash amount by a long shot for that visa
Well, Hans, on the one hand you are fortunate to be able to retire on a pension at this early age and on the other hand it is tough on you that, as you probably already know, your only option would be the investment visa, and 3 million Baht in a fixed deposit may be a little hefty.

---------------

Maestro

This was the right thing to do for those with out proper work docs/work visa should be made to do this.

It would make the situation much worst then. Ask any agency in Bangkok if they are short of teaching staff and they will say yes. Many schools cannot get any teachers as there is a drastic shortage. Look at Ajarn and see the amount of ads being placed over the last month. This in the middle of the school semester.

Odd. :o

Well, I live in Phuket and its amazing how much better English some Laos Ladies speak then the Thais... Do they have better teachers in Laos??

Leaving that aside, I have done about all of those options mentioned over the years, including telling a friend in Malaysia well, its difficult, how much do they want for the tripple....

I ended up paying 100 Ringit extra. Normally I always went for a few days even the trips requiring just the stamp. Getting older, less healthy (motorbike accidents) forced me onto the quick tours.

Ok,Option above mentioned will make it even easier to filter you out as working illigally here as if you werent you should be able to get a workpermit.

Personally I donot mind if most farangs and others would be kicked out if working without one as many donot pay tax, Social Security and donot end up with all the headache due to doing things legally. In my case eating up cash which they are not paying thus allowing them to work cheaper.

Thais already do that enough so I am not sorry about this at all.

Solution isnt ways to make silly visum regulations different but to fix those wanting you to work to make it legal.

Another case is those retiring early and for instance want to stay less then 1/2 year in the UK or wherever. Visiting parents when there and here with girlfriend making sure tax from UK is minimized. Getting tourist visums is a pain, not because he doesnt want to go out, he likes to travel here but when he wants, not due to some stamp deciding that traveling during a Christmas is a must...

Finally many of the retired guys here also work, have to as most havent got that 800000 in the bank....

I work with computers and with current Thai setup it should be very easy to make shortlists of people entering and leaving many times and who supposedly donot work. Or those using multiple passports etc. That they havent seen to be doing it doesnt mean that it isnt done..

People must remember that immigration rules are really nothing more than a line in the sand. Some people are on one side and qualify and others are on the other side and don't qualify. Thus with Retirement Visas, it has to with what they see as a "reasonable" age to retire.

Remember, this country still gets heat for all the false documents, money laundering and terrorists hiding out or transiting the country. This makes it tougher for all of us.

Somebody was asking about other countries that are cheap and have easier visa requirements.

Philippines: You can get a one year tourist visa for US$70 (can get it in Bangkok or other embassies around Asia and the rest of the world). Then when you are in the Philippines, every two months, you make a trip to your local immigration office and pay them an average of US$20 a month. No need to leave the country for one year. Labour is cheaper. Cars are about 30% cheaper.

Dominican Republic: You get a 60 day tourist visa which you can extend for another 30 days. You can get residency, citizenship and a passport if you are marries to a Dominican Republic national or if you can prove that you have enough money. At the moment that is US$15,000 (fifteen thousand US$). You can buy land and real-estate even if you are on a tourist visa. Not sure about the cost of living but real-estate is the same price as Thailand and salaries are similar. 90 minutes flight from Miami, 3.5 hours from NY. Many direct international flights to Europe.

Argentina: I have friends that moved there about 6 months ago and from what they say it is as cheap as Thailand now. Don’t know about visas.

Maybe someone can tell us about Vietnam and Burma if anyone think that it is livable there.

Went on my normal Penang run to get my usual triple entry tourist visa and was blind sided with the bad news; single entry visas only from now on. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. One good thing though, it opens up Laos and PP as nice options since Penang aint coming thru anymore

I just thought i'd post this to say that i have been reading the posts about the double and triple entry visas at Penang no longer being available.

I was planning to go there on the 15th of next month to get the tripple entry tourist visa but read all the bad reports and began to worry.

I contacted NJ BOOKCENTRE and they emailed me back today saying that they can arrange a triple entry for me with no problems.

I hope they are not telling porkies.....

I have been in Thailand for just over a year now and usually do the 30 Cambodia visa run but am running out of space in my passport now so tried to find other ways of getting a longer visa when i stumbled upon this site, and i'm glad i did.

It's not to easy for me to get a long visa even though i have a 49% share in a very small bar.

NJ BOOKCENTRE said that it would cost me rm 320, could you tell me how much that is in Thai baht please?

Thankyou.

It is around 3,200 THB.I would advise you to go personally to the consulate.I did it at Kuala Lumpur.There wasn't any problem in the beginning of this month

Did you get more than a single entry in KL?

This is an old story. Since Taksin, there has been a slow steady process to weed out the undesirables (backpackers). Raising the minimum $$$ in the bank for marriage and retirement visas. Showing 10K at the borders for day trips outside the country Etc. Etc. Mind you I do not judge people by what they wear and how long their hair is but the Thais do. This is only my humble opinion, but having lived in LOS for 7 years, appearance and how you act when you visit any Thai government office determines your fate. I did the 30 day tourist visa runs to Mai Sai for almost 4 years without ever having been questioned by Immigration or having to show the required 10k Baht. It was simple. I always dressed business casual, clean shaven, neatly trimmed short hair, and very important, shined shoes and be polite, no matter how many copies of your paperwork thay ask for, just smile like the Thais. Maybe this sounds foolish but each immigration office has wide latitude on the issuing of visas, and I have never had a problem. Never thought I would be happy to turn 50 years old but have been doing the yearly retirement visa run now for three years. I still lose the shorts and sandles and dress up for my yearly visit to immigration. Best of luck to all.

A couple of years ago I was in Singapore getting a one year multiple entry B visa. They told me they don't issue them there, I laughed of course "yes you do you little <deleted>, now run back there and talk to someone more important than you, about getting me one"

:o You have a work permit and are applying for a multiple "B"? :D

I'd have thought an extension based on that WP would be the obvious option ( cheaper too ) :D

Somebody was asking about other countries that are cheap and have easier visa requirements.

Maybe someone can tell us about Vietnam and Burma if anyone think that it is livable there.

Gary Glitter found a way to get an extended visa to stay in the country!

Gary Glitter found a way to get an extended visa to stay in the country!

Being in prison is hardly an ideal way to stay for an extended time in a country... :o

totster :D

I'd have thought an extension based on that WP would be the obvious option ( cheaper too ) :D

Correct under the current rules but note that 'cutter007' says "a couple of years ago.."

In the early '90s I also had to make visa runs on a Non-Imm-B with WP because the minimum income required by the labour department was much lower than Immigartion wanted to see in order to give a one year visa extension. My income was halfway between labour and immigration requirement.

opalhort

Went on my normal Penang run to get my usual triple entry tourist visa and was blind sided with the bad news; single entry visas only from now on. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. One good thing though, it opens up Laos and PP as nice options since Penang aint coming thru anymore

Do these new single entry visas policy apply only to tourist visas or even businessvisas and O-visas ? :o

Do these new single entry visas policy apply only to tourist visas or even business visas and O-visas ?

So far there are no indications they apply to B and O visas.

If you take the time to read the entire thread you should see that this was something temporary, and it looks as if it is now back to the way it was before.

Do these new single entry visas policy apply only to tourist visas or even business visas and O-visas ?

So far there are no indications they apply to B and O visas.

If you take the time to read the entire thread you should see that this was something temporary, and it looks as if it is now back to the way it was before.

It seems as we are just talking about some rumour. Do we have some facts ? Laws ? - Decrees ..

or is this just a single event ? I think you guys are faking out...........

When we have the facts we can start thinking and acting.