Irish teacher dies after motorbike crash in Phuket

Lite Beer

Irish teacher dies after motorbike crash in Phuket
Phuket Gazette -

1_2014531152140578_FnnSzdbfJqyMEigqwarZX

Denis Bates, 30, died from intracerebral hemorrhaging. Photo: Facebook

PHUKET: An Irish teacher at Baan Maireab School in Phuket died today from head injuries sustained in a motorbike accident last night.

Read More: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Irish-teacher-dies-motorbike-crash-Phuket/29635

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-31

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP. I hate this kind of news, especially after loosing one of my friends in similar circumstances. I also believe that he didn't wear a helmet judging from the article where it was stated that he succumbed from head injuries. It's not rocket science to assume that he didn't wear a helmet. RIP. And I implore the others not to ride under influence and without a helmet!

• Like 2

Call me cynical and callous, but I have little sympathy for idiots who SHOULD know better, who are dumb enough to get on a motorbike without a helmet.

Sorry where does it say he was not wearing a helmet ? Another publication that dare not be said has said he was wearing one. Get your facts right before you spout out such drivel.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Which publication?

R.I.P., condolences to family, friends, and students.

But "...no records were kept of the accident." <deleted>?!?! Why not?

Because the police weren't in attendance and the rescue workers job is only to get the injured to hospital, not to conduct an accident investigation?

RIP and People unless your Portugese wear a DAMN helmet

Show me the evidence that he was not wearing a helmet. No news report claims he was not wearing a helmet.

going from Old Croc's post he was wearing a " helmet " .

I know those " things" they sell at 150 Baht everywhere and which are used by 99% of bike riders foreign and Thai are called helmets, and are accepted by Thai law, and are as effective as a colander with a string.

Frankly speaking, it is very easy to suffer severe head injuries even with a helmet on. They only stated the most obvious injury and should wait until a thorough autopsy is done before guessing the cause of death. He could have had any of the multiple injuries that causes death. There are many factors to consider, speed, alcohol, type of helmet, what he hit, etc....No article stated any of those factors since there wasn't a proper investigation (surprise, surprise) done. I feel bad for his family and I feel bad he died in a shithole hospital by himself.

• Like 1

A sad story - only 30 years old.

I wonder if he would have got a baht bus or taxi home, should they ever exist on Phuket, thus still being alive today.

Of corse, the lack of these public transport options have nothing to do with the road deaths on this island, right?

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Another meaningless and tragic death, condolences and commiserations to his family and friends.

As previously stated by another poster please practice restraint with your opinions, if not probable it is possible that his family may well access TV for details, please spare a thought for their feelings.

R.I.P

Another reminder to wear a helmet when riding!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Where does it say he was not wearing a helmet? And if he was it would show posts such as your are based on no knowledge what so ever of how much a helmet really helps.

In July 204 I had a motorbike accident on Koh Samui. I was unconscious for 24 hours after the accident. A hole was drilled in my skull to relieve the pressure on my brain.

I WAS WEARING A HELMET. Luckily, apart from a metal plate and 4 screws in my wrist thee was no lasting damage.

RIP Denis. Condolences to family and friends.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Call me cynical and callous, but I have little sympathy for idiots who SHOULD know better, who are dumb enough to get on a motorbike without a helmet.

I totally agree with you....i hope sheryl doesn't pull your post for being cynical and callous

• Like 1

I get tired of the assumption that 'died of head injuries' means that the victim was not wearing a helmet.

Of course wearing a helmet is better than not wearing one. However any assumption that a helmet affords strong protection when a rider comes off at speed is a fallacy. It's better than nothing but not an automatic lifesaver. Sadly, plenty of riders have been killed wearing helmets.

None-the-less, it's a sad story. R.I.P.

• Like 1

Show me the evidence that he was not wearing a helmet. No news report claims he was not wearing a helmet.

I know those " things" they sell at 150 Baht everywhere and which are used by 99% of bike riders foreign and Thai are called helmets, and are accepted by Thai law, and are as effective as a colander with a string.

Don't know how long ago you looked at Helmet prices, but mine cost Bht 800 last year and is full faced with visor. rolleyes.gif

I beg to differ! I never go on my scooter with out first putting my helmet on. This friday, my common sense paid off. I was knocked off my scooter by a Thai doing a 'U' turn , no broken bones, but my head hit the road with a resounding 'bang' no head injury, but i am positive that had i no helmet on,i would be in a very bad way right now if still alive. In my opinion, anyone not wearing a helmet or saying that it is a waste of time, are Idiots.

Actually if the driver had not hit you, you would not need a helmet. If people concentrated on stopping the causes the country would be far better!

• Like 2

RIP. I hate this kind of news, especially after loosing one of my friends in similar circumstances. I also believe that he didn't wear a helmet judging from the article where it was stated that he succumbed from head injuries. It's not rocket science to assume that he didn't wear a helmet. RIP. And I implore the others not to ride under influence and without a helmet!

I'm assuming you're not a teacher?

Helmets can become dislodged if not correctly fastened, so he might have been wearing one without the strap secured. I see this quite a lot. coffee1.gif