"Saving face"

MonkeyLoo

Ive been in Thailand for several Months now and have been coming here since 1998.

I really love the country and its people but one thing i have still failed to get my head around is the Thai custom of saving face.

For example, i have seen people blatantly lie and continue to lie even when found out!

It frustrates the hell out of me sometimes. I guess i need to learn how to handle it.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess i need to learn how to handle it.

Any suggestions?

Stay in your own country ?

More frustrations in my own country btw.

Im just trying to understand this particular custom.

Must make doing business here very hard.

I have only found white lying..such as at work. If I ask do you understand? They will never say no or in a meeting no- one will ever ask a question for fear of loosing face.

Its a bit weird sometimes.... Its just how it is.

Comes in handy when arguing point... I never loose lol.

Sent from my c64

• Like 1

Business idea paint a face on some rocks and sell them for 1000b.. Instructions: Carry the face all the time and you will never loose face again.

Sent from my c64

• Like 1

Thanks for the posts all.

Im non the wiser really.

Just have to accept it as there way of avoiding conflict.

The white lies are not malicous just silly IMO.

Budhism allows a lie apparently if it means the party does not get hurt.

If we were all like this, having no backbone to tell things as they are, where would we be?!

• Like 1

Fortunately im british. We dont play the face game so much, but we do skirt around the flower garden a little. Just learn to be indirect or 'diplomatic' and voila, you understand 'face'. If you still dont understand, spend a month with copies of yes minister/prime minister and watch Sir Humphrey until you get the general gist.

im a brit too,

but im not sure i agree with this,

you live in a street, go buy a new car, i bet there would bo some down that street go and get a new car even if it skint them or on tick, just to show face, like we can afford one too,

i used to call it keeping up with the johnes,

ive seen it mant times, new conservetory,,, next door get one,,,

its all face

Unfortunately face is a part of asia

I find face to be a unnecessary layer of nothing, that makes a simple situation more complex and unproductive, especially in disputes

Eg complaining about bad service, telling people off, correcting people when they do wrong, being the cause of fights etc. etc.

Indeed. Seems like you cant have a dispute here. Its brushed under the carpet with a smile ;-)

Then we cough and move on.

A thai guy told me once.....saving face in itself is ok.....the consequences however can be disasterous for some....selfdestruction....add to this the lack of correction and confrontation......in a hierarchic society....

• Like 1

But thais have such a big boiling point. You can scream at them and they will always smile back and be polite. But when you come in Thai only part of BKK, you better watch out, but havent experienced this anyways. The boiling point of Thais is really really high, so you can really really make them angry till they explode. I remember only one Thai was angry at me, fitness instructor in the BKK, where not many falangs were around. He said to take my clothes off in the jacuzzi and I did not want to . Then he wanted to boot me out of the fitness but I started to scream at him, so we exchanged some words. But nothing more....

But you have to be carefull if you get into altercation with Thai, another Thai or several of them might step in, I have heard such stories in safest place on earth Pattaya.

But thais have such a big boiling point. You can scream at them and they will always smile back and be polite. But when you come in Thai only part of BKK, you better watch out, but havent experienced this anyways. The boiling point of Thais is really really high, so you can really really make them angry till they explode. I remember only one Thai was angry at me, fitness instructor in the BKK, where not many falangs were around. He said to take my clothes off in the jacuzzi and I did not want to . Then he wanted to boot me out of the fitness but I started to scream at him, so we exchanged some words. But nothing more....

But you have to be carefull if you get into altercation with Thai, another Thai or several of them might step in, I have heard such stories in safest place on earth Pattaya.

Good to read that you were not tempted to loose your virginity in the jacuzzi.

Saving Face! IMO is the inability to face up to ones faults, and truth and reality,obviously covered up by denial,broadly accepted as normal behaviour!

Add to that the excuse of face to not accept your consequences and to behave against logic or respect while trying (successfully or not) to justify it

• Like 2