Warning of highly addictive 'yaba'

Lite Beer

Highly addictive 'yaba'
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) yesterday warned people of a new type of 'yaba' is laced with dimethyl-amphetamine - which could get a person addicted to it after taking only two pills.

ONCB secretary-general Pol General Pongsapat Pongcharoen said the new formula was so strong that a drug abuser could be extremely agitated and hallucinate.

If the drug was injected, a person could fatally overdose, he said.

The tablet is embossed with a crown shape and "SU" logo.

Pongsapat said it was stronger than the heroin-laced yaba formula that officials discovered in April.

The new pills were reportedly produced in Myanmar, police would contact their Myanmar counterparts and ask them to investigate, he said.

The discovery of the pill stemmed from the arrest of a Nan man, Natthapol Arin, 35, in Chiang Rai's Pahn district in early May.

He was allegedly smuggling 600,000 yaba pills in crates that were to be delivered to a market in Pathum Thani for distribution.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-01

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) yesterday warned people of a new type of 'yaba' is laced with dimethyl-amphetamine - which could get a person addicted to it after taking only two pills."

Throughout the history of drugs there have been warnings about "unusually high potency" of various substances, which have always resulted in the same response: "Hey man, I gotta try that s--t".clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif .

Exactly. "Highly addictive", translates as really good!

Picture of a crown and "SU" logo. Does the SU mean SOO? To fight or defeat, in Thai?

Unlikely as manufactured in Myanmar, and if specifically for Thai consumption they would have stamped Thai letters as not many Thais can read and understand Latin script.

• Like 1

He seems rather ill-informed or the article got the name of the drug wrong, if Wikipedia is to be believed. Strictly speaking no amphetamines are physically addictive, although they can be psychologically addictive. Anyway, if he was really talking about dimethylamphetamine "the two pills and you're hooked" is clearly an exaggeration (not that I would advocate trying it or any other amphetamine as all are ultimately very damaging to the health). Perhaps he has been watching "Reefer Madness".

• Like 1

If I kidnapped you and subjected you to meth (yaba) for six days, I WOULD OWN YOU.

Absolute nonsense..

Yes meth is addictive.. With repeated regular use.. Mostly psychological I would ass.. One six day binge does not rob someone of their faculty or create an instant addict..

Edited by LivinLOS

When I first came to Thailand you could buy just about any drug over the counter with the exception of heroin and cocaine. I am not pro-drug but Thailand didn't have a drug problem then (except for exports) like it has had for the last twenty years. In Laos and Cambodia you could buy grass in the market by the kilo just like any other vegetable and it was a common ingredient in noodle soup in Thailand especially Chiang Mai.

Recreational drugs were seen as a very low class thing. Make something illegal and everyone wants it.

When I first came to Thailand you could buy just about any drug over the counter with the exception of heroin and cocaine. I am not pro-drug but Thailand didn't have a drug problem then (except for exports) like it has had for the last twenty years. In Laos and Cambodia you could buy grass in the market by the kilo just like any other vegetable and it was a common ingredient in noodle soup in Thailand especially Chiang Mai.

Recreational drugs were seen as a very low class thing. Make something illegal and everyone wants it.

Plus it drives up the price and makes people steal and rob to supply in their habit.

If I kidnapped you and subjected you to meth (yaba) for six days, I WOULD OWN YOU.

This is nonsense - it is a drug, not black magic - but it is certainly possible that someone would like it enough to keep doing it on their own.

You can be broken. There are many drugs stronger than you are. Your mind can be destroyed and you can be a suddenly-willing addict...

Sorry. Free will is a wonderful opium you are smoking.

This is nonsense - it is a drug, not black magic - but it is certainly possible that someone would like it enough to keep doing it on their own.
probaby accurate for the casual user, but not so for the more vunerable, the ramifications can be/are horrific.
  • Like 2

Sorry I'm probably a bit naive regarding drug abuse. So yaba = methamphetamine? In the series Breaking Bad they always seem to smoke it, but it's my impression that Thai's use it in pill form, why the difference? Just curious.

Sorry I'm probably a bit naive regarding drug abuse. So yaba = methamphetamine? In the series Breaking Bad they always seem to smoke it, but it's my impression that Thai's use it in pill form, why the difference? Just curious.

They smoke the pills.

They crush them and put them on aluminium foil or a tea spoon, heat it up and inhale the fumes.

• Like 1

In general they smoke the pills but they can be swallowed too. I think its just a way to get a standard quantity and price.