Novo 135 battery doesnt seem to charge

My novo 135 battery went about 2 weeks ago so i brought a new one, then the battery went flat so i brought another one, now yesterday that battery went flat so i can only assume something on the bike rather than the battery is knackered, does anybody have a idea what the problem could be.

It may be the charging circuit , or the "voltage regulator/rectifier" thats at fault. Have the charging rate checked at a garage , will be cheap. Dont know if Yamaha have charging problems , but Hondas always do.

I put on a couple of giant headlights on my 135I Spark, which probably has the same elect. system that you have on your Novo, and I fried both the field coil on the alternator, AND the rectifier/voltage regulator module. Not expensive. Might have to order the parts. It will take a few days to come. On my Spark, you could smell the fried coil on the alternator after pulling some inspection plug, and the rectifier/ voltage regulator was SUPER hot. A volt meter was reading about 12.1 volts at the battery when the engine was running. NOT GOOD! Should be about 13.8-14.2 volts with the engine running.

My novo 135 battery went about 2 weeks ago so i brought a new one, then the battery went flat so i brought another one, now yesterday that battery went flat so i can only assume something on the bike rather than the battery is knackered, does anybody have a idea what the problem could be.

I have the same bike and same problem. This is the second battery. Charged it recently to get the bike started. Then it went flat. Charged it again to get the bike started. Now flat again - starter just goes "clunk".

Starts OK on the kick-start, but it's a pain.

So did you get yours fixed and what was the problem?

I have the same bike and same problem. This is the second battery. Charged it recently to get the bike started. Then it went flat. Charged it again to get the bike started. Now flat again - starter just goes "clunk".

I took it down the local bike shop, he charged the battery and it worked again so it isn't charging the battery but he did point out that the back break light is always on and he recons that's what is causing it go flat, turn the key on your bike don't start it and look to see if the break light is permanently on.

I'll have to take mine to a proper Yamaha shop

Edited by 2008bangkok

I took it down the local bike shop, he charged the battery and it worked again so it isn't charging the battery but he did point out that the back break light is always on and he recons that's what is causing it go flat, turn the key on your bike don't start it and look to see if the break light is permanently on.

I'll have to take mine to a proper Yamaha shop

Thanks for the info.

My lights are OK - not on while the ignition is on, engine not running.

I had to kick-start it again to get it going but, after a minute of warming up, it then started OK on the starter. So the battery is just about on the edge of not being strong enough.

I then did some battery voltage measurements:

13.39v - measured after ignition off for about 15 minutes

13.09v - ignition on

14.65v - engine started, ticking over

13.70v - engine off, ignition off, but slowly dropping to...

13.10v - after a few minutes.

So now the battery is worse than when I first measured it? Weird! Maybe it'll get better all by itself. biggrin.png