Phuket’s low season saviors: Russians, Chinese and Middle Easterners

Lite Beer

Phuket’s low season saviors: Russians, Chinese and Middle Easterners
Phuket Gazette -

1_201453015833789_tFbvPYfOfNxiMcVzoankFA
Green, in Phuket, is just another name for wet. Photo: Lion Hirth

PHUKET: The sacred oxen have spoken – the rainy season is upon us – and it will be a year of abundant water and food. The year will also be abundant in Russians, Chinese and Middle Easterners – the financial saviors of Phuket’s low season.

Read More: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phukets-low-season-saviors-Russians-Chinese-Middle/29621

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-06-01

Did someone write this article before the coup as it is conveniently not mentioned.

Yes, just as it said in the report link.

Looks like you are right as the article was in the 24th May Gazette, therefore almost certainly written before May 22nd.

My question has therefore changed to "Why mailshot an article that is now not relevant in view of subsequent events?"

Never been to Phuket, but if the 3 ethnic groups alluded to, go about life the same way their compatriots do in Pattaya, well good luck with that.

Penny pinching, parochialistic, self-absorbtion, disdainful are just a few of the qualities permanently on display

Best of luck Phuket

"Penny pinching, parochial[istic], self-absorbed[tion], disdainful [personality traits] are just a few of the qualities permanently on display"

And also, coincidentally, a fairly accurate typical member profile here at Thai Visa.

See threads and discussions dealing with 20 baht or so differences in Thai versus farang restaurant tabs; Or, assumptions that everything ought to be done just as it is back in farang land (although the posters' recollections of things back in farang land is more fantasy than fact); Or, assumptions that Thai Immigrations and Visa rules & regulations ought to formulated to cater to individual foreigners' ever shifting moods and desires; Or, endless Thai bashing ... if you want to see Olympic standard penny-pinching, limited world views, me-me-me ethics and rampant racism (such as that from people who disdain the Chinese, Russians and Middle Easterners).

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

why I am not surprise about the russian, chine, arab bashing here .... I will start to believe that all sexpats living in the LOS think to be better than anyone else , seems they never go out in bars , gogos, soi cowboy, patong or pattaya and many other places.. that is why I never meet with other farang living here , they have this superior ego while in their own countries they are nothing ... at least in Thailand they can create a life and feel so superior to anyone ....

Those Russians, Arabs or Chinese spend money , buy food and sleep in hotels , they are , as you , part of the financial system , no need to spit on them with your superior attitude ..... everytime Thai visa talk about those tourists the bashing starts .... look in your mirror sometime , you are not better than anyone here ...

I love the Chinese and Russians- they make we Americans look good smile.png

which is very strange when you know that yanks are usually 4 times fatter than a Chinese and 2 times than a Russian ......

While we may be bigger, this is just a matter of politeness. I haven't come across many russians during my last 3 years but I can say I get very annoyed by the chinese tourists when I go grocery shopping at tesco or hit up 7-11 for some beers. I don't know how many times I have been cut in line or cant even hear myself think because of how loud they are. Even when I lived in Toronto nothing but bad experiences constantly being pushed and shoved on the subway/streetcars by them.

why I am not surprise about the russian, chine, arab bashing here .... I will start to believe that all sexpats living in the LOS think to be better than anyone else , seems they never go out in bars , gogos, soi cowboy, patong or pattaya and many other places.. that is why I never meet with other farang living here , they have this superior ego while in their own countries they are nothing ... at least in Thailand they can create a life and feel so superior to anyone ....

Those Russians, Arabs or Chinese spend money , buy food and sleep in hotels , they are , as you , part of the financial system , no need to spit on them with your superior attitude ..... everytime Thai visa talk about those tourists the bashing starts .... look in your mirror sometime , you are not better than anyone here ...

Russians, Arabs and Chinese don't spend money, the worse kind of tourists. They deserved to be bashed. They add to the TAT headcount...that's it. They're here now because they're getting low season rates. They can spend even less money.

Edited by Pinot
  • Like 1

Russians, Arabs and Chinese don't spend money, the worse kind of tourists. They deserved to be bashed. They add to the TAT headcount...that's it. They're here now because they're getting low season rates. They can spend even less money.

"They're here now because they're getting low season rates." - there is no more "high season" on Phuket.

The high season was traditionally the European winter. The Europeans are not coming to Phuket in the numbers they used to - therefore, no real high season here anymore, just the "headcount" that you talk about from the package holiday makers from emerging economies.

I wonder if TAT or any agents realize all the money from the 3 go back to their countries.

They stay, eat, drink , shop in their country men owned restaurants all prepaid to tour company owned by their countrymen.

Hardly any money stays in Thailand

I wonder if TAT or any agents realize all the money from the 3 go back to their countries.

They stay, eat, drink , shop in their country men owned restaurants all prepaid to tour company owned by their countrymen.

Hardly any money stays in Thailand

They are called "zero baht tourists" because, basically, Phuket/Thailand makes no money (zero baht) from them, for the reasons you describe.

This is why the Phuket economy is probably heading for a recession in the future. It's probably already in downturn.

Edited by NamKangMan