Here we go,Here we go,Here we go

eyecatcher

I'm sure there are plenty that are but whether they want to do it in a restaurant shouting "Hup Holland Hup".... well I think that depends on both their nationality and their level of enthusiasm, don't you?

Where is this place ?

It is on Ratviti Rd opposite the Cm saloon and a but down from the Zoe corner.

And if there are any other cynics besides myself, most people know my business is strictly "hands on"....not hand pulled or hands in the air.

Never even been in this place....tho I should.

So far the curfew will allow the early games to be shown at 11pm, but 3am games are out. However, 5am games are alright so long as you don't expect to stay out till then. Will people really get up at 4.30 am to go out and watch a game? I'm told that curfew is now 1am till 4am.

I think that's the place that used to be The Wall, across from the Ratvithi Chiang Mai Saloon, near but not opposite the UN Irish Pub.

In view of the importance of this too many people, I hope some sports bars are considering "lock-in" parties on key nights. I'm not a fan myself, but I don't want others miss out on a good time.

Edited by heybruce

it was packed with oranje fans last world cup. hope they're able to do something similar this time around, was a great atmosphere. and sheryles is a nice bar with a nice owner and nice locals. well worth a visit.

So far the curfew will allow the early games to be shown at 11pm, but 3am games are out. However, 5am games are alright so long as you don't expect to stay out till then. Will people really get up at 4.30 am to go out and watch a game? I'm told that curfew is now 1am till 4am.

Can any one verify this please?

My money is on the curfew being well behind us when the world cup kicks off.

(It would become completely unenforceable, so chances are it'll be removed by then.)

(It would become completely unenforceable, so chances are it'll be removed by then.)

i really hope you're right. If so I'll watch a few games just to support an event that ended the curfew, even though I'm not a fan. Who's playing?

It seems that my earlier statement was false. My wife assured me that last night's chiangmai newspaper said that it was now 1am , but it certainly isn't the case. However , today's papers are saying that the curfew in tourist areas is under review. Whether or not that includes Chiang Mai remains to be seen, and whether that means allowing bars to stay open all night is debatable.

The place is called Sheryle's Restaurant & Bar, see here a facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/SherylesRestaurantBarChiangMai

It is called Holland House because the new owner is Dutch and back in 2010 it was also Holland House. The owner told me that they do not only show the games of the Netherlands but also the other games. He said he also had lots of requests from English people. So heads up, more matches will be shown there for sure on 3 large TV's. The more, the merrier, I would think.

As for the curfew, I saw that someone wrote about locked down events and he told me that should the curfew still be in place, he will do this as well!

I for one think it is nice to see someone put efforts in it, despite the current turmoil and hope to see plenty of games there.

i really hope you're right. If so I'll watch a few games just to support an event that ended the curfew, even though I'm not a fan. Who's playing?

The only team, you should be concerned about is.......GREECE.

You only have to watch 3 games and then ..........finished.

Saying that.......you never know.......we got the 2004 European cup.

The Gods of Olympus are protecting usthumbsup.gif

I for one think it is nice to see someone put efforts in it, despite the current turmoil and hope to see plenty of games there.

Frankly he'd be an idiot if he didn't, it's an absolute cash cow.

I wonder how much people drink at 3am! I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of them nurse one beer, having already had a fair few by that time. As for 5am, will people stay up, or get up for it? If you got up at say 4.30am to go watch a game would you be wanting beer or coffee?

The place is called Sheryle's Restaurant & Bar, see here a facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/SherylesRestaurantBarChiangMai

It is called Holland House because the new owner is Dutch and back in 2010 it was also Holland House. The owner told me that they do not only show the games of the Netherlands but also the other games. He said he also had lots of requests from English people. So heads up, more matches will be shown there for sure on 3 large TV's. The more, the merrier, I would think.

As for the curfew, I saw that someone wrote about locked down events and he told me that should the curfew still be in place, he will do this as well!

If the curfew is still in place you'd have to be there before midnight to watch the 3am game, which is good business for the bar owner, but a long wait for the customer. The previous game will have finished at 1am.

I wonder how much people drink at 3am! I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of them nurse one beer, having already had a fair few by that time. As for 5am, will people stay up, or get up for it? If you got up at say 4.30am to go watch a game would you be wanting beer or coffee?

think a practical way to go for bar owners is to sell admission tickets for the very late night matches. that way you get people who really want to watch the game and cover your costs if they do just sit there being cheap charlies.

think a practical way to go for bar owners is to sell admission tickets for the very late night matches. that way you get people who really want to watch the game and cover your costs if they do just sit there being cheap charlies.

Yes, I know a place that did that. If the bar is staying open late, possibly paying the police for the privilege and paying staff extra the least the customers can do is spend some money. You'd be surprised how many people think that ordering a sprite covers them for the evening. I went to a bar for a champions league final that went from 2am til about 5am after extra time and penalties and they had a minimum charge of 300 baht. Good idea. Well worth it as it was the famous Liverpool final.

Please don't take this in the wrong way, but even though I don't get out as much as I used to, even I know that there's a raucous 3 a.m. scene, conditions permitting.

But there's no denying there are many cheap charlies out there, so I wouldn't fault a bar manager who managed to stay open late to impose an admission fee, minimum purchase, or some other means to make sure it is worthwhile for the bar. I don't think thirsty fans would object.

it was packed with oranje fans last world cup. hope they're able to do something similar this time around, was a great atmosphere. and sheryles is a nice bar with a nice owner and nice locals. well worth a visit.

I was there every game 4 years ago and it was a great place to go with a very good atmosphere,

good food and nice drinks.Will go again this year for sure.

I was there every game 4 years ago and it was a great place to go with a very good atmosphere,

good food and nice drinks.Will go again this year for sure.

Let us know how you get on with your permission to stay out after midnight.

]

The only team, you should be concerned about is.......GREECE.

You only have to watch 3 games and then ..........finished.

Saying that.......you never know.......we got the 2004 European cup.

The Gods of Olympus are protecting us:thumbsup:

Greece? Got it easy. I think your Gods of Olympus should be more sympathetic to Australia given all the Greek migrants who emigrated to Oz. Not only is the Aussie team pulled straight out of kindergarten, but the draw landed them in a group that includes: Spain, Holland, Chile.

Most Australians will celebrate if they score even one goal in group games. No points expected. Just hope they play with spirit.