Visa Documentation

Hi Chaos,

Some advice please if you would't mind

I'm off to Thailand for a third time on Friday and, whilst there, I will be getting married and immediately submitting the SV application.

Question:

Do I need to have the Marriage Certificate translated back into English for the purposes of submitting it with the Visa Application?

How do I deal with the fact that hew name will name will now have changed and so all the documentation will be in her old name but she will now have a new name. Does it make any difference?

Thanks

Roblpl

Rob, not sure what the SV application is. When I married I had to translate some stuff both ways. All I would say is to figure out the spelling of your English name in Thai language before you get to a translation office. Make sure that you are comfortable with the spelling in Thai. Also be careful to check that each time you have it written in Thai by a government official or translation office that they use the same spelling.

Everyone who plans to do anything with Thailand in the long term should figure out the exact translation of their foreign name into Thai because you will use that spelling for a long time. If you or someone happens to make a mistake spelling your name you may have to go back to other places you did paperwork with to get your name corrected.

I had a problem when my daughter was born. The trans office in BKK made a mistake but we only figured it out when we were in the countryside. So to correct it and get what we wanted done we had to go back to Bangkok to do everything again with the trans office and certification office in Laxsi. Anyways, Ampur officers won't let errors in spelling slip. Be careful and you won't have problems.

Do I need to have the Marriage Certificate translated back into English for the purposes of submitting it with the Visa Application?
Are you talking about a UK application? If so, then it is a good idea to have all Thai documents translated.

It is not strictly necessary, but anything which makes the ECOs job easier is, IMO, worthwhile.

Also, there are many situations once in the UK where she will need to supply her marriage certificate, applying for a NI number for example, and then she will need a translation. Getting this done in Thailand will be a lot cheaper than in the UK.

How do I deal with the fact that hew name will name will now have changed and so all the documentation will be in her old name but she will now have a new name. Does it make any difference?
Under UK law, married women do not have to take their husbands name. Make the application in her old name, as that will match the name in her passport. The marriage certificate will provide the link to you.

If, like many Thais do, she has changed her name in the past so it is now different to that on her birth certificate, then provide the name change certificate.

If your wife does choose to take your name, then don't worry that all of her documentation is in her maiden name. Your marriage certificate will confirm your wife's maiden name and the visa officer can then establish that the paperwork relates to her.

Cheers,

Scouse.