Sabai sabai Thai's careless style electrical work...

vspin134

From recent incident of in Bangkok on careless electrical work that caused death of two teenagers in Sukhumvit apartment. Here are sample I saw today during my dinner out with my family. That was exactly where we were sitting at one of the salad place in Central festival Chiangmai.

Stop sabai sabai...start working on public safety!

post-116362-14016346142496_thumb.jpg

post-116362-14016346338171_thumb.jpg

post-116362-14016346512501_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

In our brand new moobaan i see open wires everywhere on the floor. They put some tape around it and that's all. They are the hot wires from the outdoor lights we have in the parks.

I have been complaining about this 2 times at the big project developer, they can't speak no english at all so i have to write it on a piece of paper and then later they call my wife about it what i wrote down.

Nothing has changed, they don't give a shoot. It is just waiting for a kid to be electrocuted. I now realize i should have emailed that manager so i have any proof that i really pointed out where the problems are.

I really can't understand how irresponsible and dumb they are. They make new promotionlights every month in the park but never fix anything properly and safe. People who can afford houses from 5-30 million don't care for a safe park with good electrics?

If you don't like it, you know where the airport is. (Sarcasm alert.)

Not complaining anything. It was just painful that my little girl was right there at the very spot and she asked me what it was - that got me mad a bit (if they are gonna do that way...why not stick it further down a bit Somchai)

• Like 2

Changed out the light switches in my condo. Simple task... huh? One outlet took three days to get right. I learned to ignore color code. I always used the electrician's screwdriver to see which wire is live and just shut down the master circuit breaker because the same live wire runs through the whole condo to all electrical outlets in every room. Glad I have a battery operated screw diver and drill.

• Like 1

Whenever any electrical work id done in my home, i go around and correct it all after they have left. Thailand has some of the shoddiest electricians that i have ever seen. Although the winner goes to the Canary Islands where i once saw a fruit machine (Bandit) with an extension cable, joined together with cigarette rolling papers, less than 3" from the edge of the pool.

It is a really good hint here in Thailand, once you find a good sparkie (yes, there are some), don't lose his business card, phone number, FB, LINE or email address....................wink.png

Well outside water usually it doesn't matter much if you touch 220 Volt.

It hurt but no one dies (excluding people with heart problems, children and old people).

I see some 3 phase installations and they are really good, as the chance that it kills you is high.

Thailand's wiring system is not earthed. Therefore, I remind everybody here to be extra careful. Not kidding.

All new buildings now have to be earthed by law,i had mine earthed when it was built.Unfortunately the copper rod that they use as an earth isn't copper at all,it is a steel rod that is copper coated,this coat wears off in time and the house isn't effectively earthed.Up until my house was 5 years old i had no problems,i then started to get a tingle from the water heater in the shower. I couldn't change the earth rod as it was under the concrete floor so i had a real copper rod placed in the earth an attached to the water heater,problem solved, for the bathroom anyway.

The thing is that they can do it correctly when they want to. When my house was being built in a village in Isaan i stupidly left to go on holiday with my family when the building was almost finished,only the electrics remained to be done.I had ordered the best grade wire and the wire was to be fed into plastic pipes inside the walls to the plugs.The pipes were all in place correctly done,so when i returned from holiday the house was finished and looked perfect however when i went into the loft i was horrified, spaghetti was what comes to mind, wires trailing everywhere taped together lying on the aluminium cased heat insulation on the ceiling. I was absolutely shocked and remonstrated with the electrician who had done the work. He shrugged his shoulders saying that it was Thai standard. It took me two months to find a reputable electrician,strangely enough he lived only 300 meters from me,i checked his papers,he was certified to wire houses and public buildings, i asked him to look at the electrics in my house, when he saw the mess he just started laughing. I gave him the job to rewire the house,which he did in 5 days, i bought everything he told me to,i had just to pay his labour. After 5 days i inspected the loft,not a wire in sight,just pipes attached to the beams and a lot of junction boxes. He asked for 3000 Baht for his work ( which he did in the loft in summer ) i gave him 5000.

Where are you located? The only reputable place I could think of is "HomePro" - I assume that must some sort of warrantee (at least someone you can complain and thjng can get taken cared"

The thing is that they can do it correctly when they want to. When my house was being built in a village in Isaan i stupidly left to go on holiday with my family when the building was almost finished,only the electrics remained to be done.I had ordered the best grade wire and the wire was to be fed into plastic pipes inside the walls to the plugs.The pipes were all in place correctly done,so when i returned from holiday the house was finished and looked perfect however when i went into the loft i was horrified, spaghetti was what comes to mind, wires trailing everywhere taped together lying on the aluminium cased heat insulation on the ceiling. I was absolutely shocked and remonstrated with the electrician who had done the work. He shrugged his shoulders saying that it was Thai standard. It took me two months to find a reputable electrician,strangely enough he lived only 300 meters from me,i checked his papers,he was certified to wire houses and public buildings, i asked him to look at the electrics in my house, when he saw the mess he just started laughing. I gave him the job to rewire the house,which he did in 5 days, i bought everything he told me to,i had just to pay his labour. After 5 days i inspected the loft,not a wire in sight,just pipes attached to the beams and a lot of junction boxes. He asked for 3000 Baht for his work ( which he did in the loft in summer ) i gave him 5000.

Where are you located? The only reputable place I could think of is "HomePro" - I assume that must some sort of warrantee (at least someone you can complain and thjng can get taken cared"

In Prasat near Surin. The electrician who redid my house is private,that is he works for himself from his home in my village,he has a good reputation,that is how i came to hear about him after asking around,he gets contracts from firms building houses,hotels etc. I can put you in contact with him if you need a good electrician.

It hurt but no one dies (excluding people with heart problems, children and old people).

I see some 3 phase installations and they are really good, as the chance that it kills you is high.

Your comments reek of exposure to the Mai Pen Rai mentality. Your either uninformed or you have been here too long

• Like 2

I had a twin and earth ring main for sockets put into my house when I built....

Sparkie used random coloured wires all over the place... & ran the ring upto the last socket (ie. didn't complete the ring). When I asked him to connect the final socket back to the JB, he disconnected it from the previous one....<deleted>.

Finally got the ring completed but he connected it into a separate MCB (so no effectve protection) & which I ended up correcting myself.

He also managed to reverse the incoming live and neutral, and used 1.5mm earth cable to the ground spike (which then got buried under a concrete ground floor) but at least it allows the RCCB's to function correctly.

He used 2.5mm cable to all the A/C's and showers even though I'd bought a reel of 4mm for the job (which then "disappeared") although I did manage to recover the reel but by then it was too late to replace everything.

I heard about a year after he managed to electrocute himself... one less dangerous sparkie to worry about..!

I'm industrial trained electrical & electronics and coming from the UK I am used to the earth coming into the house along with the live and neutral, I don't like the 2 wire system here and the earth being connected to the neutral in the distribution board if there are 3 pole sockets in the house on older properties. I'm currently having a house built and there will probably will about 4 earth rods as I want to connect the metal roof joists separately to ground in case of a lightning strike, want it running to ground directly without it running around the house earth although I still don't think that's safe enough for me. I was recently working in Australia and a sparky there told me about a rare way of getting power in the outback, there is only a live cable run to the property so neutral is through earth although the neutral is grounded on the star side of the HV to LV transformer anyway in most countries. I was staying in a guest house once where the breaker for the electric shower was inside the shower cubicle with me.........

Another problem I used to get is during severe lightening storms, when a local ground strike would put a HUGE voltage onto the earth system (or if it's closer to where the neutral is grounded at the transformer, a high voltage on the neutral). This often resulted in sparks coming out of the ceiling fan (above the bed), which was a sever fire risk. I had to disconnect the earth from the fan body to prevent that. But I can't really blame the sparky for that one...

Maybe if I grounded the neutral bar in the JB it could also have solved the problem??

re

I was staying in a guest house once where the breaker for the electric shower was inside the shower cubicle with me

they wouldnt sad.png

pic taken in a guest house about 50 miles north of phayao

dave2

post-42592-0-19985200-1401707833_thumb.j

Edited by dave2

Another problem I used to get is during severe lightening storms, when a local ground strike would put a HUGE voltage onto the earth system (or if it's closer to where the neutral is grounded at the transformer, a high voltage on the neutral). This often resulted in sparks coming out of the ceiling fan (above the bed), which was a sever fire risk. I had to disconnect the earth from the fan body to prevent that. But I can't really blame the sparky for that one...

Maybe if I grounded the neutral bar in the JB it could also have solved the problem??

You are mistaken about this. 220 VAC can kill you, no matter what age you are.

Sorry, just want people to be informed.........

yes it can....in 0.01 % of the cases.

Every technician got into it a 100 times in his life.... In the old times electricians touched it to see if there is power.

(my fathers technical school class almost got kicked out complete as they connected one of the old electric teacher 2 phases on the 2 points he always checked on the lesson)....

dangerous yes...but the usually you survive it and I tried it often enough myself...

re

I was staying in a guest house once where the breaker for the electric shower was inside the shower cubicle with me

they wouldnt sad.png

pic taken in a guest house about 50 miles north of phayao

dave2

is that black wire a earth wire? (Never seen one on the shower beside in my house).

Your comments reek of exposure to the Mai Pen Rai mentality. Your either uninformed or you have been here too long

No I am just a technician......and often enough worked on life wires and on running machines.....

Where I come from the Neutral is Neutral, not Earth what is the green/yellow wire..

If you have concerns, get the electrician to put a few Residual Current Devices (RCD) (earth-leakage circuit breakers or Residual Current Circuit Breakers with Overcurrent Protection (RCBO) ) in your switch box.

Touching something then will hurt, but only a split second before the electricity is switched off.

These things are Compulsory in some countries by the way for outside, pool and bathroom installations.

As a side note, In Olden days, we had two wires coming into the house, 110 in opposite phases that would make up 220.

But even then 110 could kill a person, so whoever posted to the opposite, don't even think that an open 220 near water is kind of safe.

Edited by KKr