Question about 400K proof for Thai embassy

Hi - Question about 400K proof for Thai embassy (Multi-entry marriage visa)

I did that successfully last time but I would like to reinforce my understanding about proof detail.

Do I need to provide the proof of 400K in Thai bank for at least 2 or 3 months (like local immigration rule) or just shown the amount of 400K in Thai bank book regardless to how long it has been deposited in?

Hope this wee question may help other expats too. wai2.gif

If you are applying for a "Multi O" (based on marriage), you are required to show proof of funds (400k thb) or income (40k thb / per month).

It is my understanding that the funds, need to be seasoned for 60 days (2 months).

You will need your bank-book and a confirmation letter from your bank attesting to this.

If the funds are from another country's bank, embassy affirmation is required.

I hope this helps, and if I'm wrong no doubt I'll be corrected.

iPhone 6

Edited by RJDuncan

Once you recieve and have 15 or more days remaining on your current visa, in order to receive a one year extension (based on marriage), the funds will have to have been seasoned for 90 days (3 months).

iPhone 6

Edited by RJDuncan

When doing a extension based on marriage in Thailand the money seasoning depends on the immigration office you are using.

Most will use 2 months seasoning for the first time extension and 3 months for the following extensions.

Some immigration offices are using 2 months for every extension.

If you are not sure contact your immigration office on time to find out how long the seasoning is required.

Edited by merijn

Whether you need the 400k baht for multiple entry non-o will depend upon where you apply. The same as to whether if has to be in the bank for any amount of time.

In Savannakhet Laos you do not need to show any financial proof.

If you have the 400k baht you should apply for an extension of stay at immigration instead of getting a multiple entry visa,

Once you recieve and have 15 or more days remaining on your current visa, in order to receive a one year extension (based on marriage), the funds will have to have been seasoned for 90 days (3 months).

iPhone 6

Your first post - certainly, you have answered my question excellently, thanks.

Your second post - shall I presume that an one-year extension is meant for local immigration - not Thai embassy?

Actually I prefer Thai embassy instead of Local immigration because of the fewer papers.

Whether you need the 400k baht for multiple entry non-o will depend upon where you apply. The same as to whether if has to be in the bank for any amount of time.

In Savannakhet Laos you do not need to show any financial proof.

If you have the 400k baht you should apply for an extension of stay at immigration instead of getting a multiple entry visa,

I agree your 1st 3 sentences. The papers at local immigration is a burden so I believe Thai embassy is still an option.

So you would rather have to make border runs every 90 days rather than submit a few documents at immigration once a year.

I have done 6 extensions based upon marriage and have found it not to be that big a problem.

• Like 1

The "extension to stay" (based on marriage) has to be done inside thailand at an immigration office.

Above I incorrectly stated that the extension has to be applied for "15 days" before your visa is spent, however it should actually be 30 days.

Ubonjoe correctly stated that obtaining a Non-Immigrant-O (based on marriage) from certain neighbouring country's thai consulates have slightly different requirments I.e. Savannakhet - who do not require proof of funds.

But this is rarely the case in any other country's Thai consulate.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Edited by RJDuncan

So you would rather have to make border runs every 90 days rather than submit a few documents at immigration once a year.

I have done 6 extensions based upon marriage and have found it not to be that big a problem.

If anyone wish to avoid 90-days border run, he/she can convert Thai visa into extension at local immigration for 1900B. That is an option.

So I do not really need that as I am planning to take my children visiting in Langkawi. Proceeding at local immigration means the re-entry application is necessary.

Besides, it is always good to have more options between L.I. and T.E.

I am contacting my Thai embassy to find out whether my current Multi-entry visa can be renewable or not. According to Thaivisa experience, I have to be vigilant with M.E. visa proceeding.

Thanks again. wai.gif

If you are stridently opposed with dealing with the Thai immigration offices for an "extension".

Your only other option is to periodically apply for new Non-Imm-O's from neighbouring countries.

But as Ubonjoe posited it is actually more hassle, requiring 90-day-border-runs and an annual aquisition of a new visa (assuming it's multipl-entry).

Where as the "extension", although laborious at times, allows you to reside in thailand, report every 90 days at immigration, and renew annually without the need to exit thailand.

Sent from my iPhone 6

If you are concerned about "re-entry permits", you shouldn't.

One is easily obtained from a thai immigration office. Get a multiple-entry re-entry permit, it means you won't have to coordinate your travel plans with border runs.

Sent from my iPhone 6

It is true that some people have had trouble getting continuous back-to-back Multi-O's (based on marriage) from certain consulates, being told to get extensions instead.

It's possible that in the future thai immigration may hassle those that do this, but currently it really isn't an issue.

Sent from my iPhone 6

It is true that some people have had trouble getting continuous back-to-back Multi-O's (based on marriage) from certain consulates, being told to get extensions instead.

It's possible that in the future thai immigration may hassle those that do this, but currently it really isn't an issue.

Sent from my iPhone 6

1st response, you are correct that I am dreaded over the atmosphere at the Local Immigration. There are some pros and cons between L.I. and T.E. depending on individual's circumstance really. For me, I like visiting Hat Yai regularly - only 50Km on one road to border run although it has a slight terrorism risk & I also like taking children visiting at Langkawi.

2nd one, the M.E. re-entry permit is somewhat new to me, I shall bear it in mind, thanks thumbsup.gif

3rd last one, your comment is correct. Last time I applied M.E. visa at T.E. took me less than 5 mins!! Comparing to L.I. took me about 1 hour and I often came back for a very slight/harmless correction - their professionism & attitutes are "difficult".

Although I do still have the "assertive" confidence to deal with L.I, best to leave it to the very last resort. At the moment, I am still finding out whether the M.E. marriage visa is renewable or not as mentioned in ubonjoe.

Thanks for your kind effort wai.gif

Happy to help.

The "M.E. marriage visa" is actually just an Non-Immigrant-O visa [based on marriage], I don't mean to correct you impudently, but people can become confused due to the terminology.

You cannot "renew" your Non-Immigrant-O visa within thailand. Only once you have an "extension" upon it, can you renew the extension annually and indefinitely, assuming you continue to meet the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Edited by RJDuncan
  • Like 1

No visa is renewable. You have to apply for a new one. There is no limit on how many times you can get a new non-o multiple entry visa.

I feel idiot for saying "Visa renewable" - of course you are right.

Glad to know there is no limit - I shall verify that with T.E just to get their assurance just in case.

If you are stridently opposed with dealing with the Thai immigration offices for an "extension".

Your only other option is to periodically apply for new Non-Imm-O's from neighbouring countries.

But as Ubonjoe posited it is actually more hassle, requiring 90-day-border-runs and an annual aquisition of a new visa (assuming it's multipl-entry).

Where as the "extension", although laborious at times, allows you to reside in thailand, report every 90 days at immigration, and renew annually without the need to exit thailand.

Sent from my iPhone 6

"Hassle " is a bit like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. If you regularly leave Thailand, border runs are not an issue. There are sometimes other factors that come into play that get overlooked. My medication would be 130 baht a day in Thailand but I get 6 monthly prescriptions from the UK, worth about 22K baht a time. I have to see the doctor once a year to keep the prescription going, the 44K saving pays for the airfare.

Extensions are not just 1900 Baht, I would also require the income letter and reentry permit.

I a few years back I thought that I would have to get an extension to get my container into the country but fortunately it wasn't necessary, no customs involved.

There may come a time when extension is the only option but until then, each to his own.

Happy to help.

The "M.E. marriage visa" is actually just an Non-Immigrant-O visa [based on marriage], I don't mean to correct you impudently, but people can become confused due to the terminology.

You cannot "renew" your Non-Immigrant-O visa within thailand. Only once you have an "extension" upon it, can you renew the extension annually and indefinitely, assuming you continue to meet the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Apply for another same Non-Imm-O visa outside Thailand is also the alternative option, I believe so.