Visiting Koh Samui

My wife and I want to take a holiday to Samui for around 10 days. We have never been there before and would like some info on a nice hotel/resort and a good area for a family to relax. (We have a 7yr old son) not interested in bars and the like just a nice beach, family entertainment and decent food.

July should be nice on Choeng Mon, but nicer on Chaweng. And here you have a for children very safe lagoon and the softest sand, a lot of nice beach restaurants in North Chaweng. Center with entertainment, also for small children, around the corner.

• Like 1

Come on Birdman - please read the OP's post again.

'nice hotel/resort and a good area for a family to relax. (We have a 7yr old son) not interested in bars and the like just a nice beach, family entertainment and decent food.'

Chaweng does not fit this criteria. Chaweng is a great place to party - but there is no peace on the beach. How can you relax to 'ice cream, you scream., all scream and all of the other vendors, touts and people selling ???? whatever.

Sorry - but Chaweng is not the place for a family, relaxing holiday. It is a bubbling hive of activity and best left to those that want to party all night or shop during the day.

Oh - and by the way - yes the lagoon might be safe, but those rips on the main beach??? Sorry, but I have not heard of anyone drowning at Choengmon. (Google 'samui drowning' if you do not get it.)

• Like 2

Oh - and by the way - yes the lagoon might be safe, but those rips on the main beach??? Sorry, but I have not heard of anyone drowning at Choengmon. (Google 'samui drowning' if you do not get it.)

No rips now, only during Dec-Mar, calm as ever now.

In southern Chaweng no one is bothering you last few months, not a single vendor in the deep south.

I liked Choengmon before, but now it's clustered with beach chairs.

Take a stroll from centara and south on Chaweng and tell me again......

then go to koh phangan and stay up north

(We have a 7yr old son) not interested in bars and the like just a nice beach, family entertainment and decent food.

Thanks for the tip. Getting mixed responses you say Koh Samui is not for families and other say it is. Makes it hard as Phuket is definitely not part of our plans.

It depends on the area of Samui! ^

You see a lot of families at Maenam beach... Ban Tai Beach and Ban Por beach... all on north end....

Ban Tai beach, is relatively small, (but has great sand for kids) , Ban Por or Maenam beaches which are several kilometer long.... so lots of choices as to which part to stay the beach sand does vary but lots of resorts to choose from!

Most highly recommend the Rajapruek Samui Resort.

It is located on the West Coast about 45 minutes from the Airport.

The Rajapruek sits in landscaped grounds, has two swimming pools and is fringed by kilometres of golden sand.

Thinking of your son's safety, the beach, sheltered by a headland, is VERY gently sloping and rock free.

A very good Restaurant offering Thai and Western food. The kitchen staff will be delighted to prepare ANY food for you.
We've known the Chef to send to the nearby Market for freshly picked vegetables if a guest expressed an interest.

Accommodation is a choice of large rooms with Pool or Seaview.

These rooms are @ 1500 - 2000 baht (per room) a small charge is made for an extra bed and breakfast for your son.

Our family chose a lovely Bungalow on the Beach front. You sleep and awaken to the sound of the waves.

The staff are literally dedicated to your enjoyment and happiness.

If you need car hire at a good rate Khun Chu will arrange it. Or rent a motorcycle. Go for a Superb pampering Spa treatment. A day's Fishing with Lunch freshly caught. Visit close up the amazing Pink Dolphins. Try snorkeling in beautiful shallow reefs

We count the days until our return to Rakapruek in July.

Google Rakapruek and take a look.

If you need more info email me at xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are a family of 3.

Sent from my SM-C101 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Rooo
Email removed as per forum rules.
  • Like 1

Come on Birdman - please read the OP's post again.

'nice hotel/resort and a good area for a family to relax. (We have a 7yr old son) not interested in bars and the like just a nice beach, family entertainment and decent food.'

Chaweng does not fit this criteria. Chaweng is a great place to party - but there is no peace on the beach. How can you relax to 'ice cream, you scream., all scream and all of the other vendors, touts and people selling ???? whatever.

Sorry - but Chaweng is not the place for a family, relaxing holiday. It is a bubbling hive of activity and best left to those that want to party all night or shop during the day.

well. it depends on personal preferences. chooka was never here and he does not know the surroundings.

Maybe North Chaweng is exactly what he wants. There is no danger at all for children on the beach and in the sea. Your rips scenario is on another part at another season. There are only a few vendors, who will leave you alone, if you want nothing for the rest of your holiday, because they know you want nothing. Or maybe they become good friends, who invites you to their homes for authentic Thai food. I know a vendor, who cried when tourists-became-friends left Samui......

There are nice restaurants on the beach you don't have anywhere else. There is calm and relaxed atmosphere and hundreds of restaurants around the corner, authentic and fast food and everything. There are children playgrounds around the corner, at the Festival, in the sea. There are Thais loving small Farang children everywhere.

South Chaweng is much better for swimming and the sand over there is best on this island, smooth and bright, but with a child North Chaweng is safer.

However, maybe chooka wants just a safe beach, and 10 restaurants and a supermarket, then Bang Po would be fine. Or maybe deeper water would be fine and so South Lamai or West Menam are perfect. Who knows? Nobody

So best thing to do: make a booking for 3 nights, look around and find the place you wanna spent the holidays.

• Like 2