New Samsung phone marks break from Android

webfact

New Samsung phone marks break from Android

SEOUL: -- Samsung announced Monday the launch of a new smartphone based on its own operating system, in a step towards independence from the Google Android platform that dominates its popular handsets.

The Samsung Z, which has been specially developed to run on the Tizen platform, will go on sale in Russia in the third quarter of this year before reaching other markets, Samsung said in a statement.

The new smartphone will be unveiled Tuesday at the Tizen Developer Conference in San Francisco.

The vast majority of Samsung’s devices, including its flagship Galaxy S smartphones, use the Android operating system.
AFP

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-02

flop alert!

Well if Samsung really want it can make it a success. But I doubt they'll do it fully.

They could make all their mobile phones dual boot Tizen/Android and just release great games for free for Tizen. But I doubt they would do that.

I welcome the Tizen phone as I would rather be much less dependent on Google which seems to be taking over the world. However its success / failure must depend on the availability of apps and the user experience.

The ability to run Android and / or Bada apps would be a good short term help but I suspect to get the performance, native apps would probably be better.

If Samsung could / would provide a tool to allow the easy conversion of existing apps this would help a lot. Without a good range of apps the phone is destined to fail unless they provide a first class product at a budget price to kickstart it

I will follow this topic with interest but

A possible reason why Samsung is launching the new phone in Russia is that Russians are generally more technically savvy on average than people in other countries and therefore they are probably better prepared to handle any possible teething problems like bugs and configuration issues that may arise in the newly launched OS.

A possible reason why Samsung is launching the new phone in Russia is that Russians are generally more technically savvy on average than people in other countries and therefore they are probably better prepared to handle any possible teething problems like bugs and configuration issues that may arise in the newly launched OS.

Savvier than Koreans or Japanese? Doubt it.

I suspect the Koreans would be more demanding with regard to available apps, and also may be less interested in moving to a new unproven platform

• Like 1

If we look at tertiary eduction levels as a proxy for tech savviness Russia was leading the world in 2011:

"In 2011, some 42% of American adults aged 25 to 64 had a higher education degree. Only Canada (51%), Israel (46%), Japan (45%) and the Russian Federation (54%) had higher attainment levels among this age group."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/06/25/where-u-s-stands-in-education-internationally-new-report/

If we look at tertiary eduction levels as a proxy for tech savviness Russia was leading the world in 2011:

"In 2011, some 42% of American adults aged 25 to 64 had a higher education degree. Only Canada (51%), Israel (46%), Japan (45%) and the Russian Federation (54%) had higher attainment levels among this age group."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/06/25/where-u-s-stands-in-education-internationally-new-report/

Fair enough, though I do not quite understand how that relates to tech savviness.. I always thought that the Japanese and Koreans where the real mobile phone power users.

Fair enough, though I do not quite understand how that relates to tech savviness.. I always thought that the Japanese and Koreans where the real mobile phone power users.

Perhaps Samsung expects possible problems with this new phone to be of software type and Russians will be better at testing the boundaries of the new OS in terms of robustness and security and figuring out configuration solutions. Russians are notoriously great hackers.

But the Russians have many decades of putting up with crappy made products.

Russians tech saavy 5555. its because Russians are literally to stupid to hack anything...if they did manage to do it Samsung will be able to clean up alot faster than if they were to release in S.Korea. or other Asian market.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had one of the first Samsung smart phones, it was an Optimus and had their own operating system and as far as I'm concerned it stunk, I hope the new one is better.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The main reason why Samsung selected Russia to launch the new Tizen phone is that Russian people seem to have less demand for Google services. Most Russians install apps that use similar services as Google offers but from Russian providers...

It's also much less of a problem to create a application that will run smooth on Tizen. Android like Tizen use the Linux kernel (a kernel is basically the basic operating system), while Android is more orientated to Java (Google version), Tizen is more related to HTML5, but they also have a JIT (Just in Time Java interpreter available).

Why did Intel, Samsung and a whole bunch of other companies, even a few related to Google supported Tizen? The answer is simple, Tizen is based on pure open-source standards and therefore hard to cost fortunes in court. With Android Google made a few mistakes that will hunt the operating system until the end of time, for one Oracle/Sun will never back down on the fact that Google used Java API's for the development of Android, and I guess everybody knows about the various claims Apple and Microsoft makes related to Android OS....

What is Linux? According to the creator of the Linux operating system, Linux is just the Kernel. Any other software, if it's a Graphical user interface like Gnome, KDE, or even Android or Tizen are Linux flavors.

And Linux is currently moving at an incredible speed of development, and with all its flavors is currently the most widely used operating system.

So who is involved in the development of the Linux kernel? The list of people, companies, Universities, research centers and government institutions is to publish here, but a few well-known to the average consumer are Intel, AMD, Google, Samsung, Nvdia, Red Hat, Suse, IBM, Oracle, Texas-Instruments, ARM, Fujitsu, Broadcom, Quakcomm and many many more... It's interesting to know that Microsoft (yes the maker of MS Windows, is the fifth largest contributor to the Linux kernel, and for most people say that Microsoft is responsible for the code cleanup of kernel release 3.0 and higher... (as most Android devices now use Kernel 3.0, we should all thank Microsoft.... hahaha).

I had one of the first Samsung smart phones, it was an Optimus and had their own operating system and as far as I'm concerned it stunk, I hope the new one is better.

Sounds like the Omnia.. It was a pile of cack and I swore off Samsung for a while. I've gone against them again now..

Sounds like the Omnia.. It was a pile of cack and I swore off Samsung for a while. I've gone against them again now..

Yes, I think your right, it was an Omnia, and it was a piece of crap.