True Internet With Linux?

rainman

i'm looking to install centos linux on a different hard drive of my workstation, but i'm a little concerned with getting true internet working with it. my modem is not usb, but it goes from the dsl modem to the PC through an ethernet cable. the tricky point is the true internet connection is using a custom 'lanroad PPPoE client'. there's no linux version for it, just a windows application. did anyone get this working with linux?

any dsl through an ethernet cable should work. You do not need the driver as most modern linux distros have enough stuff on board to cope with this.

wireless is another story, but today also works on most computers.

most config is done in browser right?

I am also installing (vector)linux on my laptop. but I keep my xp running on it also until all is working. vector does not even see my ethernet card... but i know it can work... Good luck

any dsl through an ethernet cable should work. You do not need the driver as most modern linux distros have enough stuff on board to cope with this.

I am also installing (vector)linux on my laptop. but I keep my xp running on it also until all is working. vector does not even see my ethernet card... but i know it can work... Good luck

hi'

did you check that it was declared as in use in your network connections?

may be you just need to configure it and restart X ...

just my 2cts here :o

francois

Uh... beware, there are different kind of DSLs using Ethernet cables. Some do NAT on the ADSL router (like TOT) and in this case there's nothing to do on the Linux side. PPPoE is another story. It does require significant tweaking on the Linux side.

It's quite feasible and many people use it, but it's not plug and play. Google for "PPPoE Linux DSL" and you'll find many Howto pages.

--Lannig

Hello Rainman,

Did you get the ADSL modem/router with Ethernet connection from True when you subscripted to there service. If so then your setup in ADSL modem/router is very likely blocked, and so you can only use the PPPoE client.

For some of the Huawei MT800 and the Billion 5102S I can provide you with the login username and the password, other brand names as they are introduced and I get my hands on it.

If you are able to login into the setup from the modem/router it is like child’s play to get online with Linux or with any other operating system of even an Xbox or whatever….

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Rainman,

Did you get the ADSL modem/router with Ethernet connection from True when you subscripted to there service. If so then your setup in ADSL modem/router is very likely blocked, and so you can only use the PPPoE client.

For some of the Huawei MT800 and the Billion 5102S I can provide you with the login username and the password, other brand names as they are introduced and I get my hands on it.

If you are able to login into the setup from the modem/router it is like child’s play to get online with Linux or with any other operating system of even an Xbox or whatever….

Richard

yeah its using a custom PPPoE client, which requires my username/password. i assume any linux PPPoE client will do as well ..i'm installing fedora 5 tomorrow on a separate drive and will give it a try.

post-9621-1151772704_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...