Anyone have a good farang friendly architect and builder experience?

bangkokpoppys

I'm considering a small commercial construction project for a new business. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences to share with local architects and builders or construction supervisors - any recommendations +ve or -ve gladly accepted.

Project will (hopefully) be fairly small - involving a kitchen, seating, indoor and outdoor area - timber and concrete construction.

Edited by bangkokpoppys

I am no expert but after recently completing a house build I can offer some insight and the pitfalls that I should have avoided.

The number one rule is that whatever you agree to do with any builder make sure it is in writing and do not pay too much money up front as they seem to lose their incentive for finishing the job.

The number 2 rule is that you should try to be onsite and constantly watching their work and progress. Thai contractors employ builders who are notoriously sloppy and inept at times. The standards that I had hoped for have been waylaid by the quality of the work that has been done. When I complained, the contractor was quick to promise to rectify the errors and slow to sort it out.

The number 3 rule is to try and remain calm and patient at all times for fear of offending your builder who will then walk off the job leaving you in the lurch. Even when they are wrong, they will find reason to blame their poor workmanship on you and your attitude.

I know this sounds quite negative but there is a lot of truth in what I say. If I had the time all over again I would not have bothered to build a new place but instead, I would have found a finished project and saved myself many sleepless nights and stressful occasions..

JAF

• Like 1

I am no expert but after recently completing a house build I can offer some insight and the pitfalls that I should have avoided.

The number one rule is that whatever you agree to do with any builder make sure it is in writing and do not pay too much money up front as they seem to lose their incentive for finishing the job.

The number 2 rule is that you should try to be onsite and constantly watching their work and progress. Thai contractors employ builders who are notoriously sloppy and inept at times. The standards that I had hoped for have been waylaid by the quality of the work that has been done. When I complained, the contractor was quick to promise to rectify the errors and slow to sort it out.

The number 3 rule is to try and remain calm and patient at all times for fear of offending your builder who will then walk off the job leaving you in the lurch. Even when they are wrong, they will find reason to blame their poor workmanship on you and your attitude.

I know this sounds quite negative but there is a lot of truth in what I say. If I had the time all over again I would not have bothered to build a new place but instead, I would have found a finished project and saved myself many sleepless nights and stressful occasions..

JAF

Thanks JAF for sharing…all my worst nightmares too. Will keep this in mind.

BKP