Australia's Team

Pink Mist

Yep, they will certainly have to prove their mettle against the Brazilians. Although perhaps much of the Brazil side is arguably past it, it will still be a stern test. Then there's the Croats who are also no pushover.

All the breast anyway fellas :o .

Socceroos ranked top Cup achievers

June 20, 2006

Winning form ... the Socceroos have topped a list of the best surprise packages of the 2006 World Cup. THE Socceroos are emerging as the great achievers of the World Cup, clinching No.1 spot in a list of sides performing above expectations after holding their own against Brazil on Monday morning.

With the Cup at its half-way point, the UK's The Times newspaper has praised the Australian team's effort, ranking them the top surprise package of the 32 teams in the tournament.

It said of the Socceroos: "Stunning start, with team of many limited individuals outplaying Japan from start to finish and then matching Brazil."

Argentina, heading Group C after two impressive wins, was second on the list – "Began as one of three realistic trophy contenders (along with Brazil and England) and have outshone those rivals."

Ecuador was third followed by "supposed lightweight" Angola and Holland.

World Cup favourite and defending champion Brazil was way back at 26th despite being undefeated so far. "Victories over Croatia and Australia should have been draws. Very poor start but will doubtless improve," said The Times.

At No.22, England had made an "unimpressive start" but relief was on the way with Wayne Rooney available as the side gears up for the last 16 knock-out stage, which begins on June 24.

France was last and labelled "among the most unadventurous teams so far". "Dismal over past year, so draws against lesser nations are no surprise."

Host and 2002 World Cup runner-up Germany came in at No.9, and didn't escape criticism. "Jurgen Klinsmann has made an entertaining German side likeable but they look a long way from winning the trophy."

Meanwhile, the team that will make or break Australia's plans to reach the last 16 of the World Cup for the first time – Croatia – is listed 13th. "Decent displays against Brazil and Japan but missed countless good scoring chances, including a penalty against Japan."

Australia must beat or draw with Croatia on Friday morning (AEST) to avoid elimination.

Harsh criticism is reserved for eliminated Serbia and Montenegro, ranked in second-last place. The team "committed suicide in Group of Death by squabbling over selection and tactics".

"Argentina's six goals finished them off."

THE LIST

Australia

Argentina

Ecuador

Angola

Holland

Trinidad and Tobago

Spain

Ghana

Germany

Ivory Coast

Switzerland

United States

Croatia

Togo

South Korea

Mexico

Tunisia

Portugal

Sweden

Saudi Arabia

Iran

England

Ukraine

Paraguay

Italy

Brazil

Costa Rica

Japan

Czech Republic

Poland

Serbia and Montenegro

France

The world cup is all about progressively hitting form and not peaking too early and fading away. Brazil are just cruisin and The England have got a couple of gears in reserve. It will all get interesting from the weekend onwards. At the end of the day, I don't blame the Aussies for going flat out as they'd get some sort of stick if they went out half-hearted.

I don't blame the Aussies for going flat out as they'd get some sort of stick if they went out half-hearted.

No other way. Every game is the biggest they've ever played!

:D

Just hope Old Croc hasn't peaked too early in the Prediction Comp :o:D

I think the Aussies have played above themselves and good on them for that. They are still struggling to qualify.

The established giants like Brazil, England, Germany, Italy are all playing below themselves, yet have all qualified to the next round easily.

So what does that tell you?

Most of the more established teams have barely broken sweat. The competition really begins this weekend.

Surprise package of the tournament so far has been Ghana - they stuffed the Czechs good and proper the other night. I'd love to see them turnover the Americans tonight and cruise through.

I think the Aussies have played above themselves and good on them for that. They are still struggling to qualify.

The established giants like Brazil, England, Germany, Italy are all playing below themselves, yet have all qualified to the next round easily.

Most of the more established teams have barely broken sweat. The competition really begins this weekend.

Surprise package of the tournament so far has been Ghana - they stuffed the Czechs good and proper the other night. I'd love to see them turnover the Americans tonight and cruise through.

Sorry, I dont see us "struggling to qualify". We're 2 points clear in second place in our group going into the last match. Any result against Croatia will see us through, provided Japan don't produce a miracle 3-0 result. And all this in arguably the toughest group in the comp.

This Wold Cup has shown that you must have your starters playing in the top leagues in Europe to be competitive. The Oz starting eleven are all European players in the top leagues (Premier League, Serie A, Dutch & Swiss). Most of the bench plays in Europe as well.

Japan, US , Poland, Iran have relied to much on home grown talent and look where they are.

Sorry, I dont see us "struggling to qualify". We're 2 points clear in second place in our group going into the last match. Any result against Croatia will see us through, provided Japan don't produce a miracle 3-0 result. And all this in arguably the toughest group in the comp.

This Wold Cup has shown that you must have your starters playing in the top leagues in Europe to be competitive. The Oz starting eleven are all European players in the top leagues (Premier League, Serie A, Dutch & Swiss). Most of the bench plays in Europe as well.

Japan, US , Poland, Iran have relied to much on home grown talent and look where they are.

Maybe because the soccer league in Australia is a joke, if your name does not end in ich or isi and you reside outside sydney or melbourne you got no chance, there are a couple of brilliant aboriginal soccer players but they can only dream of selection, would love to see the roo,s get through to the next round and maybe even further but let us see what happens :o Nignoy

Group C, the 'group of death', is the hardest group for minnows, followed by group B.

1:0 to Croatia and it's all over. :o I reckon you'll just pip them though, although I have Croatia winning 2:1 in the prediction comp. :D

Maybe because the soccer league in Australia is a joke, if your name does not end in ich or isi and you reside outside sydney or melbourne you got no chance, there are a couple of brilliant aboriginal soccer players but they can only dream of selection, would love to see the roo,s get through to the next round and maybe even further but let us see what happens :D Nignoy

:o

I'm pleased the likes of Australia and Ghana have come through while more established countries have not made it. It shows that the sport is growing on a global scale, it would have been good if the Yanks went through, they deserved it on effort alone.

Maybe because the soccer league in Australia is a joke, if your name does not end in ich or isi and you reside outside sydney or melbourne you got no chance, there are a couple of brilliant aboriginal soccer players but they can only dream of selection, would love to see the roo,s get through to the next round and maybe even further but let us see what happens :D Nignoy

The soccer league in Australia has been a joke. The old national comp was struggling with too many teams, ethnic issues (some games were like a repeat of the Yugoslavia breakup wars) and incompetent, racist, self serving administrators.

The whole thing was shut done for more than a year and completely overhauled with a much leaner, more professional competition. There have been some teething problems, but the way forward is much clearer. Expansion into Asian competions is part of the plan.

As long as little people who are good at dribbling a ball around a park are being paid squillions to play in Europe the best from Oz will head to the big money. I don't know how or when Australia will be able to match these rewards, but, where ever they play, we will continue to produce the players to be a force at the top level.

(if there are some aboriginal players as brilliant as you describe Nignoy, they will get the same chance as any other kid)

(Chuck, I think you have been following the advice in your signature with a little too much fervour)

Edited by Old Croc

they were only writing a

The soccer league in Australia has been a joke. The old national comp was struggling with too many teams, ethnic issues (some games were like a repeat of the Yugoslavia breakup wars) and incompetent, racist, self serving administrators.

The whole thing was shut done for more than a year and completely overhauled with a much leaner, more professional competition. There have been some teething problems, but the way forward is much clearer. Expansion into Asian competions is part of the plan.

As long as little people who are good at dribbling a ball around a park are being paid squillions to play in Europe the best from Oz will head to the big money. I don't know how or when Australia will be able to match these rewards, but, where ever they play, we will continue to produce the players to be a force at the top level.

(if there are some aboriginal players as brilliant as you describe Nignoy, they will get the same chance as any other kid)

(Chuck, I think you have been following the advice in your signature with a little too much fervour)

The mail on sunday had quite a big article about the wealth of good quality players , especially aboriginal and residents of north queensland and the top end who are totally ignored , it is the same with all the other codes, why play state of origin in Melbourne, might as well play in Ularu, but 2-2 and through to the next round, what :a nailbiter, :D Nignoy