Doi Lo - A Good Area To Live ? Anybody Know It?

scooterboy

Hi,

We recently drove around the Doi Lo area and casually looked at a house for sale. No problems there, but a friend quietly mentioned that we should really think about choosing to live in a different area. No apparent reason given and further questioning didn't produce any more interesting info.

Is there something about this area that people don't really want to talk about? I hear that other places have their "ghosts", contamination from factories - and whatever other "dark" things to make the area unsuitable or unsafe to live in.....whistling.gif

Is there something about Doi Lo that I should know?sad.png

Thanks for any good info

Cheers smile.png

I have been several times in Doi Lo, as we have a friend living there and my wife owns some land in San Patong which is just before Doi Lo. I cannot think of anything that speaks against Doi Lo as a residential location, but neither can I think of anything that speaks for it. It's quite far away from the city, rural, not particularly outstanding with little infrastructure. The same applies to San Patong.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Thanks CM-Expat - that's much the impression I had when we were there.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of anything (trees and dust, maybe smile.png ) and houses can be few and far between. No stores to speak of, either.

Thanks for your input - doesn't seem to be anything against the area, like you say. Maybe "somebody" is mistaking the area for another place....I certainly don't know.

I personally don't know anything about San Patong, but the wife seems to think it's a place she'd just love to live.......thumbsup.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

@northernjohn - I rather doubt the friend is remotely interested in buying the house.

Two reasons : we haven't said exactly where the house is - and the friend now lives abroad (not in Thailand).

Scepticism is unwarranted.......please don't make wild guesses, thanks thumbsup.gif

Thanks BJ - maybe this is what was being referred to. Man, that's real sh*t, if it's true. bah.gif

I'll try to look more into it - and, yes, I also remember reading something similar about Saraphi, which is

why we've already had that area crossed off our list. Pity, as there are some nice houses, there......

One thing always bother me slightly with these reports - there's never any mention of exactly which specific areas are being reported on. Doi Lo (Doi Lor) and Saraphi are enormous areas - and there's no suggestion that studies have been taken in (for example) busy main-road areas, mountain areas or in dwelling areas. Hopefully, there are some follow-up articles to be found, as well.....whistling.gif

Thanks for input, guys smile.png

Thanks BJ - maybe this is what was being referred to. Man, that's real sh*t, if it's true. bah.gif

I'll try to look more into it - and, yes, I also remember reading something similar about Saraphi, which is

why we've already had that area crossed off our list. Pity, as there are some nice houses, there......

One thing always bother me slightly with these reports - there's never any mention of exactly which specific areas are being reported on. Doi Lo (Doi Lor) and Saraphi are enormous areas - and there's no suggestion that studies have been taken in (for example) busy main-road areas, mountain areas or in dwelling areas. Hopefully, there are some follow-up articles to be found, as well.....whistling.gif

Thanks for input, guys smile.png

As I said in my previous post, my son and his then girlfriend were considering setting up home together. They preferred to buy some land and have a house built rather than rent. They were on a limited budget at the time and began looking at areas of Chiang Mai where the land was cheap.

This included areas north of Hang Dong and on occasions I went with them because being considered as the dutiful father was expected to give them some money towards the purchase, well all of it actually, this is Thailand. Luckily my son and his girlfriend broke up not long after and I saved a fortune.

We went to view areas north of Hang Dong because there, that I found out later, the land prices are listed as practically valueless and when we were there I understood why. The areas Ban Lao Pao, Doi Lo up to Chong Thong were rancid with choking fumes, garbage lying everywhere in the sois and at the sides of the main roads and It is also well off the beaten track, nothing there and probably a good 90 minutes trip to get back to civilisation. I told my son that I wouldn`t want to live there even if someone gave me a home for free, a complete dump. But one man`s meat is another man`s poison and according to some reports, poison it is.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Some years ago my son was considering moving to San Pa Tong with his girlfriend or somewhere near that area, and this is what made him change his mind:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/10/14/national/national_30052381.php

And what was the result of the test? They are cheap and easy to do and radon exists all over the world.

No idea but it is understood that there is extreme pollution problems in those districts and those who maybe considering moving to those areas should delve into this further then after that it is up to their own risk and discretion.

Some years ago my son was considering moving to San Pa Tong with his girlfriend or somewhere near that area, and this is what made him change his mind:

And what was the result of the test? They are cheap and easy to do and radon exists all over the world.

Most people are not even aware of radon. The uk introduced radon barriers into the building regs in late 90s.

Only required where the geophysics survey indicated high levels. The northern mining areas and uplands were often prone.

The solution simply a another version of a damp proof membrane, and the underground ventilation pipes.

Now compare high spec cold weather construction to here.....thai houses are are as ventilated as they get,especially the traditional houses.

The risk...if any may be the new moo ban houses.

All sounds like unsubstantiated rubbish to me.

Although I have about 10 RAI of Longan Farm in Don Lor , I dont think I would wanna live there.

Its just so quiet, nothing there. My land is 48 km far from the CM city. Its about 40 min drive to town.

Well... its not just for me perhaps.

Cheers

Although I have about 10 RAI of Longan Farm in Don Lor , I dont think I would wanna live there.

Its just so quiet, nothing there. My land is 48 km far from the CM city. Its about 40 min drive to town.

Cheers

How did you manage to own 10 rai of land and run a agricultural business in Chiang Mai?

Yeah.. I have been a long time member on TV since 2003.

Just reactive on forum recently as I am moving to Chiangmai pretty soon smile.png

Nice to see there are Thai members participating on Thai visa, hope to see many more posts from you in the near future and welcome to Chiang Mai soon.

that article was dated 2007.

care to give us some thing more factual than stuff out of the news papers archives.

Cheers

Interesting you have a business there and prefer to live elsewhere as it is a bit remote.

where as BJ doesn't have any thing to do with the area and says it is a lot of garbage there.

Just found the two experiences or reasons interesting.

Cheers

Interesting you have a business there and prefer to live elsewhere as it is a bit remote.

where as BJ doesn't have any thing to do with the area and says it is a lot of garbage there.

Just found the two experiences or reasons interesting.

I was trying to be nice and maybe get an invite to taste the delights Miss Candyflip`s longans, but you`re cramping my style.

Aaaah...results and follow-up articles.

There don't seem to be any....no real surprise, there. Stories like this seldom last for more than one or two days, then they're just forgotten about again. blink.png

I didn't actually see much garbage around Doi Lo - just the usual few stray plastic bags and the odd empty bottle. Nothing spectacular....wink.png

But, yes - the area appears to be very quiet.

The wife reckons San Patong is relatively busier, more streamlined and generally more attractive than DL.

Cheers smile.png

Well, the wife did have an eye on one property in San Patong, at least for a while.....

The owner had been trying to sell it for some time, but there were no buyers - so he put the price UP w00t.giffacepalm.gif

Now, that is really freaky! biggrin.png

Cheers smile.png

• Like 1

Well, the wife did have an eye on one property in San Patong, at least for a while.....

The owner had been trying to sell it for some time, but there were no buyers - so he put the price UP w00t.giffacepalm.gif

Now, that is really freaky! biggrin.png

Cheers smile.png

Putting the price up, if you can't get a buyer or renter, is a very Asian trait.Owners would rather it sit there empty than meet the market.

Yes, noted - on several occasions, in fact! wink.pngblink.png

My present opinion is, that I'll avoid Doi Lo® for the moment, considering there's a "reasonable" doubt about the area.

Still, I'll look around for any more info to try and see if the situation has improved (or if it was all just hot air) from 7 or so years ago.

Perhaps more info will be forthcoming. whistling.gif

Cheers smile.png

Take the naysayers' negativity on Doi Loh with a smile.

Pack a lunch with the family and spend a lovely day or so touring the region. We own land within the Sanpatong-DoiLah-MaeWang tri-district-intersect just SSW of Chiangmai. My neighbors are retired civil servants, teachers, police and armed forces officials who, along with us, enjoy the area and are there not least because the price of land is not only reasonable but cheap; at least until the housing estate companies get off their 'collectives' and start buying huge tracts.

These land companies, it seems, are complaining of the scarcity and/or high costs of land out towards the currently popular and increasingly 'unaffordable' SanPatong-Sansai-DoiSaket triangle. But eventually they will see the light, especially since the ever-improving dual canal road is now a highway and is ever heading directly south into the heart of DoiLah district with the resultant eventually fast and easy access to greater Chiangmai.

I seldom see any trash littering the byways in the area; anyone saying so is trying to save the area for himself once he scrapes together enough to buy.

The Sanpatong-DoiLah-MaeWang tri-district-intersect is a future suburb of our lovely city. Anyone who tells you differently does not have your interest at heart. Walk the walk...you'll be glad you did!

^Heh! Now that's what I call a really positive view! tongue.pnglaugh.png

I think maybe I'll take you up on that and take another look in the area. Mind you, it'll have to wait until towards the end of the month. I'm being kept busy with other things just now.

I'm not able to agree or disagree with your opinions - I know far too little about the place....

Always good to hear stuff like this! thumbsup.gif

Cheerssmile.png

Don't read too much in to the radon report. But do note that in the same article they talk about smoke from burning orchard waste. That's the killer. Avoid any area where the main agriculture is longan or mango orchards. After the harvest, they burn all the cuttings from the trees. Very smokey. Avoid these areas like the plague. They make the rice field burn offs look like a breath of fresh air bah.gif