frequent flyer miles forfeiture if you cancel credit card?

My annual renewal fee is due on my UAL Chase card. I've had it two years. I really can do without it, and a lot of Thai merchants won't even accept foreign cards anymore, let alone Chase being the last to implement chip technology on their cards.

So I have 57,500 ff miles with UAL/Star Alliance. I think they gave me 30K when I got the card. Can they take these miles back if I don't renew the card. 33K of these miles are "lifetime miles" in case that makes a difference. I could still buy myself a one way ticket for 40K, before I cancel.....business class is now 80K for one way (to the USA). Any advice? Thanks!

• Like 1

I am afraid I cannot answer your question.

I have my Airmiles with One World Alliance. They just upped the miles required for an upgrade when I was very close to reaching it. I asked them if the world had got bigger!

Moral of the story. If in doubt, cash them in for an upgrade or ticket redemption now as they can change the terms and conditions whenever if suits them.

My understanding is that they can take the bonus miles back if you cancel the card within the first six months after receiving it. You will be okay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

this one has no foreign transaction fees, and I don't know if the no fee cards will do that, but as I stated fewer Thai merchants will accept it. Made a purchase with Amex a few days ago and got 32.75....which I was satisfied with.

I have a Chase UAL card and it has never been refused.

I use it in Thailand, India, UAE and USA.

There as far as I know, there are no free cards that offer no foreign transaction fees.

I am going to drop it this year and go with the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Chase can't take your miles back. I have four Chase Cards and pay an annual fee for two of them. Your miles can expire though if you cancel your mileage plus card or don't use it often enough. It's good to eyeball the date when your miles expire when you get your statement and use them before that. Actually, it's best to use them ASAP since their value seems to drop constantly.

• Like 1

Once the miles go into your account they do NOT take them out even if you cancel the card before the first annual fee

you only lose your miles if you let them expire though some airline miles NEVER expire.

Above applies to Citibank and chase and Barclay cards....not sure about others.

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/venture-one-rewards/

capital one has a no fee no foreign transaction fee card..

There as far as I know, there are no free cards that offer no foreign transaction fees.

this one has no foreign transaction fees, and I don't know if the no fee cards will do that, but as I stated fewer Thai merchants will accept it. Made a purchase with Amex a few days ago and got 32.75....which I was satisfied with.

1. You will not forfeit the bonus miles when you cancel the account.

2. You might look at Chase Sapphire Preferred, which actually offers you points that can be redeemed for cash or airline tickets at a highly discounted rate from airline websites AND Hotwire, Travelocity, etc prices.

3. The Chase Sapphire Preferred card has 0% International Transaction Fee.

4. Lastly, they do offer the card with an embedded chip but you have to request it or the default for US cardholders is the card without the chip. Just ask for it.

5. The card actually has a layer of alloy sandwiched between the front & back which gives it a very quality feel. I constantly receive compliments from the merchants--they think you must be someone special.

I have 3 years personal experience with this card and can vouch for everything I have said above.

Lastly, there is a rapid inflation on air tickets purchase with miles plan miles. They are about to lose atleast 25% across the board, so ise them quickly. I have about 700K miles and am going to take a beating.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

1. You will not forfeit the bonus miles when you cancel the account.

2. You might look at Chase Sapphire Preferred, which actually offers you points that can be redeemed for cash or airline tickets at a highly discounted rate from airline websites AND Hotwire, Travelocity, etc prices.

3. The Chase Sapphire Preferred card has 0% International Transaction Fee.

4. Lastly, they do offer the card with an embedded chip but you have to request it or the default for US cardholders is the card without the chip. Just ask for it.

5. The card actually has a layer of alloy sandwiched between the front & back which gives it a very quality feel. I constantly receive compliments from the merchants--they think you must be someone special.

I have 3 years personal experience with this card and can vouch for everything I have said above.

Lastly, there is a rapid inflation on air tickets purchase with miles plan miles. They are about to lose atleast 25% across the board, so ise them quickly. I have about 700K miles and am going to take a beating.

Cheers

Can't see any point now in looking for getting air miles with the fares anymore -for us economy travelers from N.Z --Thai Airways screwed us a couple of years ago--Qantas has recently done the same--- they are even worse with booking options when trying to get a flight with air points.

Better for me to get the best fare I can with whatever airline offers the best- i.e-- promotions-- book well in advance--or hang out for a last minute offer if plans are flexible

Actually--The best deal here for air miles is with Amex--They require more-- but can cash them in at a Travel Agent to use on any flight of your choice-- top up with cash if necessary---with no restrictions----which I have just done biggrin.png - instead of transfering them to Thai or Qantas

Edited by Bucko

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/venture-one-rewards/

capital one has a no fee no foreign transaction fee card..

That looks great, thanks!

After I get all the bonus points for the Sapphire Preferred, I'll pick up the Capital One.

OK, so I heard from Chase. They just use some legalese in their agreement to scare you. The only miles you stand to lose are one that have not been posted, once they are posted, they are yours. I think the only exception would be on the bonus, if you canceled or defaulted during the first 6 months or year. Chase uses the word "Program" to mean the Chase Program; not the UAL Program. I'm actually on my 6th free r/t from US to Thailand in 9 years....all done with Star Alliance. I was able to get some bonuses with Continental before the merger, that transferred seamlessly once the merger was complete. Delta is going to start doing one way tickets for half the r/t award amount in 2015, and Amex gave me 50K Delta miles to get their card...so that may put me on Korean next time.

As far as Capital One...I canceled them because their subsidiary "Sharebuilder" screwed me royally by arbitrarily determining I was living abroad, and restricting my brokerage account. Of course, I was in Thailand, when I opened the account 6 years before. Technically, you have to be in the US, even on days when your dividends are re-invested, which is total horseshiite, and there are even conflicts on the rules within their own agreement. Oh, and I still have a US address, am a registered voter, and file income taxes.

Try Capital One cards. No annual fees and no foreign transaction fees. The basic card gives you 1.25 times the amount you charge. I have used it all over Thailand and had no problem but it does not have the electronic chip that others (i.e Citibank) have. The exchange rate seems very near what I get at BBL so I don't mind using it here.

Well, UAL miles do expire! If you don't fly or use your mileage plus card for a long period, the miles could expire. It's best to keep track of when they are due to expire as written on your statements. I have been displeased with UAL lately for the condition of their planes and quality of their service. One bright spot, though, is that you can now use your UAL miles on their website to book flights on *some* other star alliance carriers.