Flight at 2.40am the day after "admitted until" date

Officially if you go through immigration after midnight you will have overstayed 1 day. There will be no fine and you might receive a small blue overstay stamp in your passport but I wouldn't worry about it as it won't affect a future trips. It would be difficult to go through immigration before midnight if the flight has not been opened fo check in.

Officially if you go through immigration after midnight you will have overstayed 1 day. There will be no fine and you might receive a small blue overstay stamp in your passport but I wouldn't worry about it as it won't affect a future trips. It would be difficult to go through immigration before midnight if the flight has not been opened fo check in.

My personal experience is that you WILL be charged 500 penalty if you do not clear passport control prior to midnight. The ticket counters are typically opened 3-4 hours prior to scheduled departure so its not much trouble to arrive at ticket counter check-in at 11:00-11:30 and receive your boarding pass and clear passport control prior to midnight.

I have overstayed several times and never received nor heard of a blue overstay stamp or a pass without having to pay the fine. Any details on this would be insightful.

Cheers

Apart from not wanting to ever have to catch a flight at the god awful hour of 2.40am, even if I did have to catch a flight at say 12.30am to Europe or India say, I would still schedule my departure such that my last permitted date to stay is NO EARLIER than the date of flight, just to avoid the possibility of an overstay. In this time of increased scrutiny with regards to visa runners, previous overstayers are the first ones that are being scrutinized when attempting to re-enter the Kingdom on future occasions.

I agree that the check-in counter should be open about 3 hours before departure (rarely more unless it's a THAI Airways flight, but by the sounds of it, I recall that the sole flight at 2.40am or around that time out of Suvarnabhumi or anywhere in Thailand for that matter is Emirates to Dubai I believe) so if you can't reschedule your trip (or better yet, get a 1900 Baht 7-day extension) then you better make a beeline for immigration before midnight. Still, I personally would never do that, take that sort of risk and suffer the embarrassment of overstay - I've never overstayed in any country and never will. There's never a good excuse for it either (medical extensions are possible so that rules out being sick and not getting an extension of stay).

wink.png My lat flight was in early April 2014 to Boston Mass.

It left at 0115 and I checked out at 1130 when the checkout counters opened at that time.

I was NOT charged an overstay. nor was the word overstay even mentiones once.

Does that answer your question?

Once you go through immigration there are a number of places you can sit and have a beer or drink another beverage if you wish and sit and watch the peoiple go by.

Not a big problem.

Unless you're one of those type A people who can't "waste" your time doing "nothing productive".

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

My personal experience is that you WILL be charged 500 penalty if you do not clear passport control prior to midnight. The ticket counters are typically opened 3-4 hours prior to scheduled departure so its not much trouble to arrive at ticket counter check-in at 11:00-11:30 and receive your boarding pass and clear passport control prior to midnight.

I have overstayed several times and never received nor heard of a blue overstay stamp or a pass without having to pay the fine. Any details on this would be insightful.

Cheers

I have had a 1 day overstay in the past have been allowed through with no problem.

Apart from not wanting to ever have to catch a flight at the god awful hour of 2.40am, even if I did have to catch a flight at say 12.30am to Europe or India say, I would still schedule my departure such that my last permitted date to stay is NO EARLIER than the date of flight, just to avoid the possibility of an overstay. In this time of increased scrutiny with regards to visa runners, previous overstayers are the first ones that are being scrutinized when attempting to re-enter the Kingdom on future occasions.

I agree that the check-in counter should be open about 3 hours before departure (rarely more unless it's a THAI Airways flight, but by the sounds of it, I recall that the sole flight at 2.40am or around that time out of Suvarnabhumi or anywhere in Thailand for that matter is Emirates to Dubai I believe) so if you can't reschedule your trip (or better yet, get a 1900 Baht 7-day extension) then you better make a beeline for immigration before midnight. Still, I personally would never do that, take that sort of risk and suffer the embarrassment of overstay - I've never overstayed in any country and never will. There's never a good excuse for it either (medical extensions are possible so that rules out being sick and not getting an extension of stay).

Nearly every good direct flight to Europe is after midnight. That's the best time to fly there. You will arrive in the morning.

It's also always ok to overstay those hours even if he check in after midnight. No fine and no complains.

Medical extensions are very time-consuming and exhausting for someone recovering from illness.

There are times that overstay is acceptable and I could care a less whether you think its acceptable or not.

Pass judgement much?

For those who say there are no penalties if departure is within 24 hours, thanks for the information but have you personally been granted this stamp? It was not my own personal experience and I was taken to the Passport Control area just past the Secure area and prior to the dury free shops.

Thanks again for the detsils.

Edited by ClutchClark

If i were you would try and get the check in and clear passport before midnite, most airlines check in are open for you to do that, maybe if you can to avoid the que check in online before. If not in my experience you may be pulled for over stay but its no big deal, worse case 500 baht and a stamp.

I had it happen in 2009 by about 30 minutes. They really do not hassle you about it since its the airport. They will go through the procedure to make sure its noted but I have not heard of them charging at the airport for less than 24h. The border is a different story. they will always try and get you every time.

Nearly every good direct flight to Europe is after midnight. That's the best time to fly there. You will arrive in the morning.

It's also always ok to overstay those hours even if he check in after midnight. No fine and no complains.

Zurich, Frankfurt and Vienna (budget carrier) before midnight.

"Most" flights tp Europe are between midnight and 1 am.

Then London 1:10h, Stockholm 1:10h, Copenhagen 1:20h, Vienna 1:50h (China Airlines).

All these flights would probably allow you to check in and go through immigration before midnight.,

Notable exception is Eva Air to Vienna at 2:35h (!).

Other very late (or early) flights are to closer destinations (Arabia, Far East, China, India)

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do

2:40h is likely a flight to Dubai or Qatar.

Edited by KhunBENQ

this is bad advice try not to overstay can not believe this guy saying it ok to overstay he is incorrect saying this, people have been fined.

can not believe this guy going on a public forum and saying it ok to overstay, totally immature and bad advice.

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Like 2

this is bad advice try not to overstay can not believe this guy saying it ok to overstay he is incorrect saying this, people have been fined

Totally agree with you. Its not so much the fine which wouldn't happen in this instance but the fact its recorded in the Passport and certainly in the Thai Immigration System.

Why do it ??

Lots of responses, many trying to guess the flight destination/airline? Hmmm...

...anyway, assuming it is from Subi (don't think anywhere else has night flights at that time) there is a special 'exemption' which means that you are allowed 31, 61 or 91 days (dependent on your visa type) when you exit at Subi. No additional stamp is usually made in the passport and all that happens is that they write the date of departure and the flight number at the top of the exit stamp as normal (nb: I'm editing this post to add that I have previously been travelling on a Non-O Imm visa for 90 day stays, that might make a difference).

If you are a dork like me and get your maths wrong - I did this recently - and make it 62 days (for example) you will however not be exempt and end up paying the 500 baht fee for BOTH days. The extension fee is 1,900 baht but its for 30 days, not 7 as stated above, apparently easy enough to get - but I was advised just to just pay the fine (see below). However, I believe - not an expert - that the extension is only available of a formal Tourist Visa, not a Visa-on-Arrival. The computer systems are indeed very detailed and accurate at Subi now - I guess we all know that but I actually got to look at them one time - so they will have the data but they don't seem to class it as a formal overstay, I guess due to the nature of the flight departures/times from that airport. These were the words of (another) immigration officer (see below again).

Lots of people have replied already... my main reason to adding to the deluge is to note that the immigration police are technically a different branch to the types you sometimes meet in the street. I had a complex problem about a year ago - long story, no need for details - and the lady captain who dealt with it was an absolute sweetheart and I cannot speak highly enough about them/her. It was her subsequent advice on another trip not to worry about the two-day overstay either. They seem somewhat different to other elements one meets... I say that in the hope the moderators don't delete the post and trust you know who I mean smile.png

Have a safe trip home.

Edited by shoeless1963

Medical extensions are very time-consuming and exhausting for someone recovering from illness.

There are times that overstay is acceptable and I could care a less whether you think its acceptable or not.

Pass judgement much?

For those who say there are no penalties if departure is within 24 hours, thanks for the information but have you personally been granted this stamp? It was not my own personal experience and I was taken to the Passport Control area just past the Secure area and prior to the dury free shops.

I have personally left after midnight 3-4 times when the visa expire before midnight. I did it by purpose because the immigration officer told me it was ok.

this is bad advice try not to overstay can not believe this guy saying it ok to overstay he is incorrect saying this, people have been fined

Totally agree with you. Its not so much the fine which wouldn't happen in this instance but the fact its recorded in the Passport and certainly in the Thai Immigration System.

Why do it ??

And all those flights have a check in time so he can go trough immigration before midnight also.

Why not do it? The immigration say it's ok. And you can stay one day longer every time. Today I have 12 months visa so it doesn't matter.

Edited by larsjohnsson

this is bad advice try not to overstay can not believe this guy saying it ok to overstay he is incorrect saying this, people have been fined.

can not believe this guy going on a public forum and saying it ok to overstay, totally immature and bad advice.

People don't get fined for overstaying a couple of hours at the airport. If you overstay more than one day you will get a fine.

Nothing bad will happen for a few hours overstay.

Edited by larsjohnsson

Pass judgement much?

So are you generally in the habit of picking and choosing when to break the law at your convenience, then?

As others on here have said, overstaying is unacceptable, period. Hospitals can (and do) assist in obtaining medical extensions.

ps: my understanding of the relevant law is that even if you have exited through the passport control, they do still look at the time of departure of the plane so that if you checked in and passed through prior to midnight but your flight was post-midnight, legally that counts as a day of residence in Thailand. this might explain the tolerance over the 24 hours in Subi but not elsewhere?

People don't get fined for overstaying a couple of hours at the airport. If you overstay more than one day you will get a fine.

your passport will be stamped and possible fine people have been fined in the airport before, for just a couple of hrs but that is not to point you should NOT go on a public forum and advise people to overstay, that is irresponsible. and I do not know where you get the idea people don't get fined for a couple of hrs, are you immigration and please don't say your friend is in immigration. you are giving very bad advice to people, if you can not see that well !!

I fully accept your position and am not going to argue. Equally, I will just state that - had I ready access to a scanner - I'd send you a copy of the exit stamp on 12-Jul-11 next to the entry stamp that stated 'admitted until 11-Jul-11' (o/b flight EK375) and there is no 'blue stamp'. But I agree that rules do change, especially in Thailand, and that also there may be instances in the future where these issues are more important.

However... I would be grateful if you would amend the comment around this person in Immigration. While she is not my 'friend' - I do not seek to make that claim - she is equally a really considerate person who saw me onto the 'plane last year when there was a large problem for me and I was stopped at the border. She then came back to the airport two months later on her day off just to make sure that I was again able to leave Thailand. She also made sure to send my wife a picture of me on the exit side as well.

There are some really lovely people in this country and I'd just like to make sure that the positives are noted alongside the negatives. OK?

your passport will be stamped and possible fine people have been fined in the airport before, for just a couple of hrs but that is not to point you should NOT go on a public forum and advise people to overstay, that is irresponsible. and I do not know where you get the idea people don't get fined for a couple of hrs, are you immigration and please don't say your friend is in immigration. you are giving very bad advice to people, if you can not see that well !!

You are wrong. Nobody will get a fine for those hours. I'm sure that ubonjoe or some of the other experts here on visa/immigration questions will tell you the same in a few hours

Pass judgement much?

So are you generally in the habit of picking and choosing when to break the law at your convenience, then?

As others on here have said, overstaying is unacceptable, period. Hospitals can (and do) assist in obtaining medical extensions.

Yep, thats entirely correct. I am 75 years old and have had a couple health issues the past two years.

When I have been discharged from the hospital but still recuperating in my condo post expiration then I have overstayed.

Are you going to make a citizens arrest or something?

• Like 1

Its almost addictive, isn't it, this TV thing biggrin.png

As has been pointed out elsewhere on this thread, I do not work for immigration but now we are on the topic of medical 'overstays', a friend of mine was here last month with a mate and his friend caught a really bad infection (MRSA) and was hospitalised for a month. Luckily he had health insurance and was in the Chon Buri area so went straight to the local BH. Not only did the hospital arrange for the visa extension for the 'patient' but my friend, who stayed on to take care of the guy - no local family - until they were able to get back to the UK was given this 'medical' extension - 30 days, 1900 baht - as well.

Apparently it took five minutes at the Chon Buri IC on Soi 5 - one of the advantages of using the large hospitals I guess but they were just waved straight in and out. Also a lesson not to travel without health insurance...! sad.png

You are wrong. Nobody will get a fine for those hours. I'm sure that ubonjoe or some of the other experts here on visa/immigration questions will tell you the same in a few hours

that is not the point you are saying in a public forum that it is ok to overstay totally irresponsible you are the wrong advocating people should break the law. and I am sure ubjoe would not advice people to break the law , you are going by hearsay an immigration officer told you oh its ok but it is not the law, and iam sure that more expect posters that YOU will tell me the same and they would not advise people to break the law like you have add vised, you know you have made a mistake but you are not man enough to admit to it, do not post again you do not know what you are talking about you just give bad advice

The flight is on Qatar connecting to a flight to London.

I prefer a flight via the Middle East rather than a direct flight and flights that leave Bangkok close to midnight arrive in London at a time which means I would have to travel thought London at rush hour. The 2.40am flight means you got to London at around midday.

Actually booking to leave at 2.40pm the day after my depart by date meant a cost saving of more than 2,000 baht over any other reasonable option so I booked that knowing that even if a had to spend 1,900 baht on a 7 day extension it would still be better.

I think that I just arrive early and try to clear immigration before midnight.

You're missing the point deliberately. There is no fine we know but the overstay is still just that, an overstay and is recorded.....

that is not the point you are saying in a public forum that it is ok to overstay totally irresponsible you are the wrong advocating people should break the law. and I am sure ubjoe would not advice people to break the law , you are going by hearsay an immigration officer told you oh its ok but it is not the law, and iam sure that more expect posters that YOU will tell me the same and they would not advise people to break the law like you have add vised, you know you have made a mistake but you are not man enough to admit to it, do not post again you do not know what you are talking about you just give bad advice

Joe have already replied two times. Read his posts ;)