VFS Bangkok poor service and question about submitting additional documents.

My partner applied for a visit visa for the UK at the VFS in Bangkok at Trendy Building, yesterday 04 June 2014.

I won't bore you with the details of the awful (better to say NON) facilities for visitors accompanying applicants !!

When my partner was being seen by the VFS agent, who screened the application, she (the VFS agent) didn't take 3 important documents (letters), that in my opinion should have been taken as they form an important part of the application and may alter the outcome of the application.

My question is whether we can still have these letters added to the application; can we send the letters to the Embassy by registered mail, with the application reference written on the envelope and posted to the Visa section directly to the Embassy ??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Frans.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The VFS staff are not allowed to even comment on your supporting docs, let alone leave any out of the application.

This is stated clearly on their website, which I printed out for my wife to take in case a similar situation arose.

I would first make a complaint to the VFS head office and then complain to the UKBA too.

This service needs a major overhaul and only by making it known to the people at the top will it happen.

Good luck and keep kicking their ass&s until you get a result.

• Like 2

I won't bore you with the details of the awful (better to say NON) facilities for visitors accompanying applicants !!

Hi, I am interested in this comment, VFS (Australia) recently moved into this same office in Trendy I believe, am I correct to interpret your comment that a person who is accompanying applicant has to be separated and can not go up to the desk as well?

If you have no business, other than e.g. make an application, you are not allowed in the actual application area and have to wait in corridor. Please read other comments by other contributors...

Carlos is spot on, it's your wife's application and it's she who decides what evidence she is submitting to support her application.

If she feels VFS have acted outside of their remit, she should lodge a complaint feedback_complaints.

I don't think that the UKVI will accept the documents directly, I'm not even sure that they publish their Bangkok email address either, your wife could complain via the email address in the UK [email protected], that's a generic email address for all Home Office complaints, then at least the concerns are logged and if the visa is refused you would have some comeback.

My experience (based on a month ago) was that we were allowed to go together into the application waiting place and accompany while the number was waiting to be called.

Which was a good thing because VFS had to challenged on a nuber of things they got wrong.

I know it a bit like closing the door after the horse, but all documents that you wished to be considered should have been referenced in line 120 of the application. That way they become part of the application and not open to discussion.

I must admit that when you see the form online it looks like little room, but you can just keep typing and it will scroll on.

As others have suggested, lodge a complaint.

I know it a bit like closing the door after the horse, but all documents that you wished to be considered should have been referenced in line 120 of the application. That way they become part of the application and not open to discussion.

I must admit that when you see the form online it looks like little room, but you can just keep typing and it will scroll on.

As others have suggested, lodge a complaint.

Good post Sandy.

I had a very similar situation some years back.

Some of the staff dont seem to understand that supporting evidence is important. Thais in general seem to believe what they are fed. I briefed my wife and later the mother-in-law of what needed to be submitted and still they came out with important documentation on instruction from the VFS staff. I have one visa delayed because my financial details were not accepted.

My mother-in-law was told she should come back nearer her departure day to submit it. Luckily my Brother-in-law pushed it thru and we just got her visa in time.

The staff thought the visa runs out after 1 month of issue.

I blame lack of training, and the likely policy of LPTA lowest price technically acceptable!

Vent over.

Communism is where Man suppresses Man.

Democracy is the other way around

Are there now 2 application centres for applying for Australian visas? Last year we went to the VFS centre on the 34th floor of the Thai CC building. It wasn't a problem for me as a visitor to accompany my girlfriend into the application centre. I do hope that the new location won't be replacing the old one altogether. I also think that the Trendy Building area is far more inconvenient compared to the Thai CC building, at least if you are coming by car. I much prefer going to Sathorn than to Lower Sukhumvit, just saying...

Are there now 2 application centres for applying for Australian visas? Last year we went to the VFS centre on the 34th floor of the Thai CC building. It wasn't a problem for me as a visitor to accompany my girlfriend into the application centre. I do hope that the new location won't be replacing the old one altogether. I also think that the Trendy Building area is far more inconvenient compared to the Thai CC building, at least if you are coming by car. I much prefer going to Sathorn than to Lower Sukhumvit, just saying...

Tomtomtom69 ... it has moved.

australia-important-vfs-is-moving

Left around the Songkran time.

Thai CC building is assumed as closed.

EDIT, re parking, I vaguely remember reading that there was 3 hour free parking at the Trendy Building, but you'd have to go hunting for that post.

Edited by David48

The VFS staff are not allowed to even comment on your supporting docs, let alone leave any out of the application.

This is stated clearly on their website, which I printed out for my wife to take in case a similar situation arose.

I would first make a complaint to the VFS head office and then complain to the UKBA too.

This service needs a major overhaul and only by making it known to the people at the top will it happen.

Good luck and keep kicking their ass&s until you get a result.

Good advice BUT don't hold your breath. I did exactly what was suggested above nearly a month ago. I repeated my complaint yesterday as, apart from an automated email response, UKBA/VFS/Foreign Office have all deigned to reply.

Wonder why they stopped allowing partners in?

This was fine at the old vfs office, and since it's the partner who is sponsoring, they kind of do have business there.

• Like 1

This was fine at the old vfs office, and since it's the partner who is sponsoring, they kind of do have business there.

There is not a sponsor in all cases, very many apply using their own funds.

Whilst it may be frustrating for a sponsor not to be allowed in, VFS probably take the view that it's the applicant who has to submit the application and supporting evidence and as the process of submitting the application and supporting evidence is little more than a paper drop, with the application being decided elsewhere, there is nothing to be gained by any sponsor being there just to hand over the papers.

It's always been the case, at least in recent years, with UK Visa Applications, that only the applicant was allowed in.

• Like 2

Similar thing happened to my Mrs.

2007 VFS UK visit application straight through no problem.

2013 same visa. They sent her out with some important documents she wanted to submit. Visa refused, we were fuming but didn't bother to complain.

2014 same visa. This time she bulldog clipped all the paper work together & told them 'this all has to be submitted'. Visa granted, no problem.

I have never been allowed entry on any occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Whilst it may be frustrating for a sponsor not to be allowed in, VFS probably take the view that it's the applicant who has to submit the application and supporting evidence and as the process of submitting the application and supporting evidence is little more than a paper drop, with the application being decided elsewhere, there is nothing to be gained by any sponsor being there just to hand over the papers.

It's always been the case, at least in recent years, with UK Visa Applications, that only the applicant was allowed in.

Point taken.

Where was the old place to lodge UK applications, before VFS at Trendy offices?

This is the weird bit ... I went in only 5 weeks ago ... no challenge, no problem.

I'm an Aussie, but we all go thought the same door ... just sit on different sides.

I made a complaint 2 years ago. I got a standard letter from the British Embassy saying they would look into the matter.

We were getting a 'Family Visit Visa' for my wife. The VFS staff tried to talk us into changing it into a 'General Visit Visa',i think. I argued with them, and they accepted the application; the visa was issued. If you have any problems, make sure you get the name of the person you are dealing with.

2 year's later, I'm still waiting for a reply from the British Embassy.

Point taken.

VFS used to be at Regent House.

Unless things have changed it is in fact an interview and VFS want answers from the applicant without any prompting. First time my wife went in 2010 iy was quite in depth and took about 30 minutes. She was also told that someone from the embassy would phone to check her English, but it did not happen. She has since made 2 further applications, both at Regent , which were quicker and easier.

Unless things have changed it is in fact an interview and VFS want answers from the applicant without any prompting. First time my wife went in 2010 iy was quite in depth and took about 30 minutes. She was also told that someone from the embassy would phone to check her English, but it did not happen. She has since made 2 further applications, both at Regent, which were quicker and easier.

It depends what sort of visa you are referring to, Visit or Settlement Visas have been decided on the evidence submitted for at least ten years, without any interview. In the event that further clarification has been required by the Entry Clearance Officer, the ECO or one of their locally employed staff might telephone the applicant, they could possibly call them in for an interview, but I've never known that to happen.

VFS staff, as I've previously said, are no more than a conduit to receive the application and forward it on to the UKVI for processing. The staff at VFS are not qualified to interview applicants, it's not within their remit and never has been. They may talk the applicant through the supporting evidence, but by no stretch of the imagination is that an interview, and it's the applicant and the applicant only who has the final stay on what supporting evidence is forwarded with application.

Applicants for Student Visas do have to demonstrate that they have a certain level of English Language skills, they are interviewed by UK staff not staff employed by VFS.

• Like 1

Point taken.

VFS used to be at Regent House.

Unless things have changed it is in fact an interview and VFS want answers from the applicant without any prompting. First time my wife went in 2010 iy was quite in depth and took about 30 minutes. She was also told that someone from the embassy would phone to check her English, but it did not happen. She has since made 2 further applications, both at Regent , which were quicker and easier.

So Regent house, was that the old VFS building Aussies also used?

Just trying to work out why suddenly, there's so many complaints about the UK side of the Trendy building?

But no Aussies are complaining.

My wife has just received her first 6 month Family Visit visa, we met last year and were married in February 2014.

Application submitted 15 May, even with an "appointment" it took 3 hours to get everything done.

Email about decision received 3rd June.

Documents collected today, 6th June and even then she had to wait an hour.

It does appear that the VFS staff are screening documents at the time of submission, my wife had her original Marriage Certificate and Registration returned to her on that day and only copies with a translation went off with application.

The staff have a check sheet of some sort, but she did not see if there was a "original seen" box on it.

As far as I am aware the staff have been able to check certain original documents against the copies and allow the originals to be returned to the applicant. Copies are then submitted. I would expect marriage certificates to be amongst this group.

Saves embarrassment if they lose documents! It might be that some VFS staff are getting a tad above their station.

• Like 1

As far as I am aware the staff have been able to check certain original documents against the copies and allow the originals to be returned to the applicant. Copies are then submitted. I would expect marriage certificates to be amongst this group.

Saves embarrassment if they lose documents! It might be that some VFS staff are getting a tad above their station.

This was precisely my wifes experience 12 months ago.

I totally agree, especially as it is a user pay service and they are the people who moved to a smaller office.

I was never allowed into VFS at Regent House, nor were any other partners. It was exclusively for applicants. Not sure if this changed later. Not sure why a sponsor should be involved, they are not making the application.

Before that people had to queue outside the side gate of the Embassy.

Edited by bobrussell

When applications were lodged at the embassy, whilst sponsor's were allowed into the building they were usually not allowed to accompany the applicant up to the counter to hand in the application, and certainly not allowed to attend the interview.

From my personal experience, and from people I met and talked to whilst waiting there, it was very rare for the embassy staff, other than the cashier, to acknowledge the presence of a sponsor; let alone talk to them.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

I was never allowed into VFS at Regent House, nor were any other partners. It was exclusively for applicants. Not sure if this changed later. Not sure why a sponsor should be involved, they are not making the application.

Before that people had to queue outside the side gate of the Embassy.

Bob is 100% correct - partners were never allowed past the metal detector at both Regent House & Trendy. The reason is fairly obvious; where a typical Thai (lady) can be awed by officialdom, a (stroppy) farang is prepared to kick up a fuss over a perceived injustice.

As all VFS do, and have ever done, is accept the application and supporting documents for forwarding to the embassy, take the applicant's biometrics and accept payment of the fee; what injustice, perceived or real, could applicants suffer there?

Of course, I am not excusing any poor service experienced at VFS; but poor service is not the same as injustice! As I have said in other threads on the subject, those who do receive poor service should make a complaint.

I guess my wife does not fall into your patronising definition of a 'typical Thai (lady)' as she is prepared to fight her corner with anyone; officialdom or no!

• Like 1