VFS Bangkok poor service and question about submitting additional documents.

As all VFS do, and have ever done, is accept the application and supporting documents for forwarding to the embassy, take the applicant's biometrics and accept payment of the fee; what injustice, perceived or real, could applicants suffer there?

Of course, I am not excusing any poor service experienced at VFS; but poor service is not the same as injustice! As I have said in other threads on the subject, those who do receive poor service should make a complaint.

I guess my wife does not fall into your patronising definition of a 'typical Thai (lady)' as she is prepared to fight her corner with anyone; officialdom or no!

Well my wife isn't such a battlemaid as yours. She has twice been reduced to tears by VFS Officialdom. At the old Regent House she was told by a 'helper' outside the metal detector that she didn't have 'enough paper' - the inference being brown notes would help the process run more smoothly. Another lady sporting a VFS badge, noting my wife's tears, suggested we contact an agent & proffered a card.

Years later we ventured another application at the Trendy offices where she was made to wait 4 hours for a pre-arranged appointment.

Each time I have done as you suggested - 'make a complaint.' I have complained to, in no particular order: British Embassy; Duty Officer at VFS; Foreign Office; and four MPs in the Foreign Office. FOUR weeks down the line I have received automated replies acknowledging receipt off my complaint but nothing more. I have re-sent the original complaint again today.

Using your own words, to me the above examples, constitute both poor service AND injustice (perceived and actual) where a quiet and sensitive woman is put through this ideal by incompetent and uncaring staff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a follow up on my original post, the following:

I e-mailed various organisations connected with the VFS and the border agency, complaining and asking about how to get the documents added to the application; to date a couple of automated replies, telling us not to do anything and wait.... (Great !!)

I then phoned the British embassy in Bangkok and gently pushed the lady on the other end of the phone to give me a solution to what I considered a problem that had been created by the VFS clerk, since I had paid £83.00 for a service that had clearly not been met. After a couple of -please waits- she told me to scan the documents and email them to the visa section. This I duly did. As I was worried that this would perhaps get missed in the paperwork machine at the embassy, I took the removed documents to the embassy, to post them through their letter box: NO Letterbox !! So, tried to hand in the clearly addressed envelope at the gate. They would not accept my envelope.... After insisting that this was a vital part of the application, which had been removed by theVFS clerk and several phone calls and a chat with me, a nice security guard promised to take the documents to the visa section.

Yesterday, being the 14th working day of the visa processing time, my partner received - out of the blue - a phone call from the British embassy, asking him various questions, mainly questions relating to what was in our letters accompanying the application. Why does he want to go the UK ? What are we going to do in the UK ..... Where are we staying and all questions like that ....

I did not realise that the embassy made phone calls to applicants. Is this a routine procedure, or is that only done if there is doubt about the application ?

Taking into consideration that he has already received a one year multiple entry visa for Schengen, valid until 15 July 2015, I am now worried that this application may be turned down. I also managed to get a letter of support from my MP, whom I knew from when I lived in the UK up to 2007, which was enclosed with the application.

Can any member or person in the knowledge inform me whether a telephone interview is a standard procedure for a visit visa, or is that indeed a sign of doubt on behalf of the embassy ?

How long can we expect to have to wait after the telephone interview before we receive a decision... ?

All this is so frustrating !!

FRM-BKK

Yesterday, being the 14th working day of the visa processing time, my partner received - out of the blue - a phone call from the British embassy, asking him various questions, mainly questions relating to what was in our letters accompanying the application. Why does he want to go the UK ? What are we going to do in the UK ..... Where are we staying and all questions like that ....

I did not realise that the embassy made phone calls to applicants. Is this a routine procedure, or is that only done if there is doubt about the application ?

Taking into consideration that he has already received a one year multiple entry visa for Schengen, valid until 15 July 2015, I am now worried that this application may be turned down. I also managed to get a letter of support from my MP, whom I knew from when I lived in the UK up to 2007, which was enclosed with the application.

Can any member or person in the knowledge inform me whether a telephone interview is a standard procedure for a visit visa, or is that indeed a sign of doubt on behalf of the embassy ?

How long can we expect to have to wait after the telephone interview before we receive a decision... ?

Since ECO's stopped routinely interviewing all applicants, if there is an element of doubt or a question the ECO has then, yes, they may call the applicant to clarify the point, certainly nothing to worry about, though of course the decision could still go either way.

I suspect that now the application is actually on the ECO's desk and they made the call, the decision has actually been made and you should hear in a day or so.

On a side note I suspect the letter from an MP who you knew 7 years ago would carry little weight as it doesn't actually prove anything in respect of the application.

• Like 1

Thank you Oldgit,

I totally understand your assertions about the MP's letter.... It was just in an attempt to underpin the fact that we are serious applicants, supported by my MP and that we have no other intentions than visiting the UK.

I will keep you up to date...

Thank you once again...

Frans.

Here is the latest update on my partner's visit visa application for the UK. The embassy phoned him last Monday and conducted a 10 minute interview over the telephone; we were worried about it. They merely asked questions related to everything that was in our application and accompanying letters. 10 minutes after the call, they rang him back again, to ask why he wanted to visit Manchester United football club/stadium, as there won't be any ,matches when we go - August - he responded that Man United was not his main reason for going to the UK and that it was just an opportunity.

As TheOldGit already suggested, the decision was already made and this was, in my opinion just crossing the T's and dotting the I's in order to complete the decision.

On Wednesday last he received an email to say that his passport was ready for collection in two days.

So, on Friday morning (yesterday) he went with some trepidation back to the VFS to collect his passport.

A visa was granted for 6 months, multiple entries !!

So, London here we come !

I still remain adamant that if you want to stand a chance of getting a visa, you have to honest, give as much detail as possible, accompanied with as many bits and pieces as you provide and don't leave anything to chance. And lastly.... don't allow the VFS clerk to remove ANY documents that you deem to be crucial to the application !!

Thank you to all of you supporting us in the process...

Frans.

Edited by FRM-BKK
  • Like 2

The OP really should raise a complaint with VFS head, it's the only way the process and the people will ever get cleaned up.

I raised a complaint with them five years ago whilst applying for a Settlement Visa for my wife, the girl who took my wife's documents went to great lengths to ask questions about whether my wife knew I had been married previously and spent time pouring over the divorce decree and asking questions about that marriage - I received replies and apologies from UK Borders and also from the person running VFS Bangkok, the latter was not convincing so I did push it with her but it became clear she was not going to take serious action - don't let that stop you complaining to both.

The OP certainly short-circuited a VFS cockup. Well done indeed.

However, the actions of personally getting involved with the 'insertion' of the documents that the VFS flunky had removed could have gone either way. Consider this;

1) The application is between the applicant and the issuing authority so having a third-party, albeit the sponsor, partner or whatever, making phone calls and fronting up at the Embassy with a letter that must be included was taking a bit of a gamble IMHO. These days, security at UK (and other) legations globally doesn't normally allow people to just front up and expect an envelope to be accepted.

2) There's a pretty well know reason why embassies don't have a letter box!

3) Although the sponsor may been well documented in the application, the ECO would not know 'the voice on the phone' or 'the stranger at gate security' from Adam. Smartly enough, they called the applicant and asked what was in the letters in the application (in the envelope maybe?) since by having this third-party adding things after the fact could indicate a compromised application. Security restored, they processed the application, issued the visa and only the OP's blood pressure was (possibly) challenged.

Many thanks to the OP for following up on this and apart from the rather distracting preamble in the opening post about lack of facilities for the sponsor (?), the main issue about VFS clerks acting beyond their remit should be emphasized so that others, particularly female applicants, aren't cowed into thinking they are dealing with anyone more than a desk clerk.

Have a great time in blighty!

• Like 2

Well done Frans. But I must ask why on earth would you want to go and see Manchester United.... ha. Have a great time.

Hello Jim,

I have asked him the same question..... !! It's his dream .... he said !! Football is not my favourite sport; why on earth anybody wants to go and see the stadium is beyond my understanding too... but as a good partner I shall drive him from Cheltenham (where I used to live) to Manchester and to Old Trafford and fulfill his dream !!

Frans.

• Like 1

A final question or clarification on the matter of the validity of his visa.

His visa was issued for 6 months multiple entries and valid is until 23 December 2014.

Does that mean that we can fly to the UK on say the 20th or 21st of December 2014 and he will still be admitted into the UK ?

Or does the period permitted to stay in the UK end with the expiry of the actual visa validity ?

Thank you for any responses explaining this question..

Frans.

Can someone give me more information about waiting time diffrence between normal visa and 2000 k more exoensive express visa,

Does it come realy faster when someone pay more?

3 weeks waiting time for appointment and another 2 weeks for visa

That's vfs..global

It should just areived in time...

Proberbly we paid 2000 k more for nothing..

A final question or clarification on the matter of the validity of his visa.

His visa was issued for 6 months multiple entries and valid is until 23 December 2014.

Does that mean that we can fly to the UK on say the 20th or 21st of December 2014 and he will still be admitted into the UK ?

Or does the period permitted to stay in the UK end with the expiry of the actual visa validity ?

Thank you for any responses explaining this question..

Frans.

He has to leave the UK on or before last day on the visa.

In theory if he presented himself at the UK Border on the 21 December he would admitted, but if he isn't able to present a ticket out of the UK for the following day, he his likely to be denied entry.

Can someone give me more information about waiting time diffrence between normal visa and 2000 k more exoensive express visa,

Does it come realy faster when someone pay more?

3 weeks waiting time for appointment and another 2 weeks for visa

That's vfs..global

It should just areived in time...

Proberbly we paid 2000 k more for nothing..

Which country are you asking about?

Although it doesn't say so in the topic title, this topic is about UK visas and the fee for UK priority applications is not 2000 (baht?), it's £100 (approx. 5,500 baht); and applicants are only eligible for it if they have travelled in the previous 5 years to the UK, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or to a country in the Schengen Area.

Users of the UK priority service should have their application processed in 3 to 5 working days.

As said to you in a different topic, VFS Global run visa applications centres in Thaiand for many countries; but they do not make any decisions on applications.

Edited by 7by7

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would add an update about the complaints procedure.

I just received a reply from the UKBA, to a complaint about VFS I wrote on 2nd April !!

Not bad hey, 3 months to reply and told that my wifes application had been processed and she could collect her docs.

We traveled to U.K on 5th May :)

Well, at least someone investigated your complaint thoroughly.

What was your complaint, and how did the reply address it?

No they didn't...

My complaint;

"Dear Sir/Madam,

This inquiry/complaint is on behalf of my wife, (edited name).

We have been trying to get an appointment for her to submit her documents and application form at the VFS office, for the past 2 weeks.

Having tried via their website and also calling the office, with no success from either.

Yesterday my wife managed to speak to someone in the Bangkok office, who promised her that she could have the earliest appointment on this coming Saturday (5th). She was informed about the 1500 baht extra fee and was happy to pay that. The lady she spoke to said that she would email a confirmation of the appointment and time. She has heard nothing since and then today was informed that the office doesn't take phone inquiries !!!

Now, I appreciate that they have moved the Bangkok office last Friday and there might be a few issues related to that, however, transport to Bangkok needs to be arranged (ie flights) and accommodation sorted. How are people supposed to arrange all this if they are not getting confirmation emails of appointments ??

As the official agents to the U.K Boarder Agency, it is their responsibility to assist applicants to process their visa needs. At the moment I don't see this happening and have had numerous other reports of similar incidents. There is still no appointments available on their website and we have just 1 month left before travelling to the U.K, which is why we started the whole process on 16th March.

Please could you assist with this application as a matter of importance, as it is now causing us undue stress and complications."

Their reply, 3 months later;

Dear Mr (edited name),

Thank you for your email correspondence of 2 April, sorry for the delay in responding to you.

I can confirm the (edited name)’s visa application was concluded on 7 April.

If Ms Potiyan has not yet collected her documents, she should contact her local Visa Application Centre and make arrangements to do so.

Kind regards

Complaints Team "

Yup, great service...

They didn't address my complaint at all. My complaint was about the <deleted> service at VFS, which they never mentioned.

As you can see, the application actually got processed 2 days after her submitting docs :)

I see; I thought that your complaint was more serious than not receiving an email confirmation of an already booked appointment.

To be fair to them, the reply you received does give the information you were asking for, i.e. confirmation of her appointment; albeit 3 months after that appointment!

No excuse for them delaying the reply for so long, nor for the problems with the booking system experienced by your wife and other applicants at the time.

I see; I thought that your complaint was more serious than not receiving an email confirmation of an already booked appointment.

To be fair to them, the reply you received does give the information you were asking for, i.e. confirmation of her appointment; albeit 3 months after that appointment!

No excuse for them delaying the reply for so long, nor for the problems with the booking system experienced by your wife and other applicants at the time.

No, their reply does not address my complaint at all...

The reply stated that her application had been processed.

My complaint was also not about receiving an email notification of an already booked appointment, more about not being able to organise transport/hotels etc without confirmation.

Plus not being able to speak to anyone at VFS, plus their website booking not working.

So, my complaint was a serious complaint. Maybe not to you but to people trying to organise appointments and travel etc, every delay is a stress creator.

Anyway, the update was just to point out to anyone writing in to complain, don't hold your breathe for a response. Let alone any improvement to the service offered by VFS.

No, their reply does not address my complaint at all...

The reply stated that her application had been processed.

My complaint was also not about receiving an email notification of an already booked appointment, more about not being able to organise transport/hotels etc without confirmation.

Plus not being able to speak to anyone at VFS, plus their website booking not working.

So, my complaint was a serious complaint. Maybe not to you but to people trying to organise appointments and travel etc, every delay is a stress creator.

Anyway, the update was just to point out to anyone writing in to complain, don't hold your breathe for a response. Let alone any improvement to the service offered by VFS.

These days with all the call centers and internet only companies this unfortunately is the way all those companies handle the complaints.

Their (apparent) reasoning: the application was processed, so stop moaning.

In order to get real customer service one has to be able to speak to a real, live person, which has unfortunately become a rarity these days.

Well done Frans. But I must ask why on earth would you want to go and see Manchester United.... ha. Have a great time.

Hello Jim,

I have asked him the same question..... !! It's his dream .... he said !! Football is not my favourite sport; why on earth anybody wants to go and see the stadium is beyond my understanding too... but as a good partner I shall drive him from Cheltenham (where I used to live) to Manchester and to Old Trafford and fulfill his dream !!

Frans.

Most clubs offer year round stadium tours Frans. Get in touch with Man U and ask for details

Hello Jim,

Frans.

Most clubs offer year round stadium tours Frans. Get in touch with Man U and ask for details

Well, it got worse..... on 16 August we are visiting the UK again. This time we are flying especially from Amsterdam to Manchester for 3 days, in the hope to see the first match of the season at old Trafford. We have flights booked, hotel booked, but no tickets for the match ...... YET... we live in hope..

Can any member suggest any way or method to obtain a couple of tickets....? Or can anybody help me with getting tickets ?

The dream is almost fulfilled !!

Thank you all for your support and suggestions...

We are flying to Amsterdam on Monday (14th).

Frans.

I know it a bit like closing the door after the horse, but all documents that you wished to be considered should have been referenced in line 120 of the application. That way they become part of the application and not open to discussion.

I must admit that when you see the form online it looks like little room, but you can just keep typing and it will scroll on.

As others have suggested, lodge a complaint.

Hi, very interested in your post, but what is 'line 120' ? The online form i'm looking at has no numbers anywhere in it. Clarification would be very helpful thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

I know it a bit like closing the door after the horse, but all documents that you wished to be considered should have been referenced in line 120 of the application. That way they become part of the application and not open to discussion.

I must admit that when you see the form online it looks like little room, but you can just keep typing and it will scroll on.

Hi, very interested in your post, but what is 'line 120' ? The online form i'm looking at has no numbers anywhere in it. Clarification would be very helpful thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

The online form is broken up into parts, from 1 to 8. The parts start on the page after the declarations. Each part has a number of lines, or questions, and in Part 8 you will find 118 to 120. 120 is the last one and asks for any additional information. The answer section is a text box and will just keep scrolling and has a fair amount of space to list documents you wish to be considered.

Hope a bit clearer.

• Like 1

The online form is broken up into parts, from 1 to 8. The parts start on the page after the declarations. Each part has a number of lines, or questions, and in Part 8 you will find 118 to 120. 120 is the last one and asks for any additional information. The answer section is a text box and will just keep scrolling and has a fair amount of space to list documents you wish to be considered.

Hope a bit clearer.

Hi - thanks for the reply. I see these parts on the form which amounts to 7 - but i can't see the Declaration now i've moved on in the form, which is the 8th ?

1.Passport and Travel Information // 2.Personal Details and Travel History // 3.Family Details // 4.Employment and Income // 5.Family and Friends in the UK // 6.Medical Treatment // 7.Additional Information.

That's not important really, but what baffles me a bit is i cannot see any 'line numbers' anywhere on that form, so we must be looking at different designs. But it is not important practically, as i have been writing in 'Additional Information' and will extend that. I also have a 'Contents' page at the very beginning of the folder which lists the documents being submitted. What i'm now worried about is how to arrange the mass of docs and photos etc - i read that ring-binders are being rejected at VFS and the papers being pulled out. Any advice on how to physically collect it all together ? (my/our first attempt)

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Hope a bit clearer.

Hi - thanks for the reply. I see these parts on the form which amounts to 7 - but i can't see the Declaration now i've moved on in the form, which is the 8th ?

1.Passport and Travel Information // 2.Personal Details and Travel History // 3.Family Details // 4.Employment and Income // 5.Family and Friends in the UK // 6.Medical Treatment // 7.Additional Information.

That's not important really, but what baffles me a bit is i cannot see any 'line numbers' anywhere on that form, so we must be looking at different designs. But it is not important practically, as i have been writing in 'Additional Information' and will extend that. I also have a 'Contents' page at the very beginning of the folder which lists the documents being submitted. What i'm now worried about is how to arrange the mass of docs and photos etc - i read that ring-binders are being rejected at VFS and the papers being pulled out. Any advice on how to physically collect it all together ? (my/our first attempt)

What form are you using? We used VAF1A for General Visitor, last time was in January so they may have changed it,

Point I made was that you should list docs in additional information and then they become part of the application.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Well the postman just dropped off the wife's passport.

Our experience with VFS Global and the Trendy Building was pretty positive. The interview was on 26th June and was all done within 40 minutes, staff were helpful, they checked copies against original documents and returned them. The only items they kept were the wife's current and old passports.

All came back today 21st July so that's 15 working days.

They've granted her a five year multi based on family visit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Frans try Thomas Cook sport and search for Man Utd. Can get seat and hotel package. May be sold out and expensive but worth checking

Hello Jim,

We took up your suggestion and booked a Sports Event Package with Thomas Cook on-line, which included one night in a 4 star hotel and tickets to the match.

The seats in the stadium were good and so was the hotel. In fact the booking was very well organised by Thomas Cook.

All in all a very nice experience..... just a shame that they lost their first match with Louis van Gaal at the helm...

Thank you once again for your suggestion.

Frans.

• Like 2

Frans try Thomas Cook sport and search for Man Utd. Can get seat and hotel package. May be sold out and expensive but worth checking

Hello Jim,

We took up your suggestion and booked a Sports Event Package with Thomas Cook on-line, which included one night in a 4 star hotel and tickets to the match.

The seats in the stadium were good and so was the hotel. In fact the booking was very well organised by Thomas Cook.

All in all a very nice experience..... just a shame that they lost their first match with Louis van Gaal at the helm...

Thank you once again for your suggestion.

Frans.

Hi Frans

Pleased I could help and glad you enjoyed your day.

Take care

Jim