True Docsis

dharmabm

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I have a few very specific questions... I am moving to a new apartment and although I have been relatively satisfied with my True ADSL 13/1 service I am considering the possibility of switching to cable.

I recall reading in one recent thread something about difficulties with DDNS using the cable modems, am I remembering correctly and if so what is the issue? DDNS is absolutely critical to my home network, so that would be a no-go if true.

Are there any noticeable speed or reliability issues with one or the other (aside from the usual instability inherent in the entire backbone) when using comparable plans of the same relative speeds?

Finally, can anyone shed some light on the xDSL packages? Technically, ADSL is a form of xDSL so I don't understand what they are differentiating and the website is incomprehensible.

Finally, I do not want any routing or wireless, only a gateway. I prefer to do all my internal networking myself and have all the necessary equipment.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I recall reading in one recent thread something about difficulties with DDNS using the cable modems, am I remembering correctly and if so what is the issue? DDNS is absolutely critical to my home network, so that would be a no-go if true.

1. Ask for a DOCSIS Modem that provides a DDNS login page, or
  2. Ask that the DOCSIS Modem be put into BRIDGE MODE and use your own Ethernet Router to do DDNS
Are there any noticeable speed or reliability issues with one or the other (aside from the usual instability inherent in the entire backbone) when using comparable plans of the same relative speeds?

---

Finally, can anyone shed some light on the xDSL packages? Technically, ADSL is a form of xDSL so I don't understand what they are differentiating and the website is incomprehensible.

The 'x' is used as a stand-in for another letter. In this case

• A - Asymmetrical, the max data bandwidth is not equally balanced between Download and Upload speeds (ie: 7/1 mbps)
  • S - Symmetrical, the max data bandwidth is equally balanced between Download and Upload speeds (ie: 4/4 mbps)

Otherwise, the technology is broken down like this:

• G.dmt, ITU-T G.992.1, up to 10 Mbit/s and 1 Mbit/s
  • G.lite, ITU-T G.992.2, more noise and attenuation resistant than G.dmt, up to 1,536 kbit/s and 512 kbit/s
  • Asymmetric digital subscriber line 2 (ADSL2), ITU-T G.992.3, up to 12 Mbit/s and 3.5 Mbit/s
  • Asymmetric digital subscriber line 2 plus (ADSL2+), ITU-T G.992.5, up to 24 Mbit/s and 3.5 Mbit/s
  • Very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line (VDSL), ITU-T G.993.1, up to 52 Mbit/s and 16 Mbit/s
  • Very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line 2 (VDSL2), ITU-T G.993.2, an improved version of VDSL, compatible with ADSL2+, sum of both directions up to 200 Mbit/s.
  • G.fast, ITU-T G.9700 and G.9701, up to approximately 1 Gbit/s aggregate uplink and downlink at 100m.

Finally, I do not want any routing or wireless, only a gateway. I prefer to do all my internal networking myself and have all the necessary equipment.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Then you want a DOCSIS modem that can be placed in BRIDGE MODE.

//edit: formatting

Edited by RichCor

https://www3.truecorp.co.th/cm/support_sub_category/2819

Stay away from the Thompson CPE as that device cannot be put into bridge mode - based on a recent thread. It looks like there are at least four different Cisco CPE used. I can't recall any comments on the 'Technicolor' CPE.

Also maybe search, read/review some of the True DOCSIS threads here on ThaiVisa.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=true+docsis+site:thaivisa.com

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ddns%20true%20corp

first, thanks for all the replies so far. so the jogging of my memory was not that there is an issue with DDNS, but that you do not have access or control over your modem with docsis? ie. any changes to the modem have to be done by true and you cannot even set your own access password? if so, that is a definite no-go.

@richcor, i am well aware of the technical aspects of xDSL, my question was specific to what true means by the difference between adsl and xdsl packages, from what i can read on their website it appears that an xdsl package from 10-16Mbps is adsl while 20-50Mbps is vdsl, so how does the xdsl 13Mbps package differ (if at all) from the standard adsl 13Mbps package? i'm not going above 13 anyways, as i would think that is just flushing baht down the toilet, but i am just curious as to why they differentiate between the 2.

if my assumptions are correct i think i will just stick with my 13/1 adsl package for now, unless someone has any convincing reason why i should do otherwise. (BTW, my primary concern is with better upload speeds, not download)

Can you link to a page that gives adsl xdsl packages?

What I see it True using the xDSL as an umbrella term for all DSL packages and then specifically referring to ADSL 10-16 mbps and VDSL 20-50 mbps.

trueonline product-internet-xdsl

I would say if they have an ADSL 13/1 and an XDSL 13/1, the later is a marketing goof.

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

first, thanks for all the replies so far. so the jogging of my memory was not that there is an issue with DDNS, but that you do not have access or control over your modem with docsis? ie. any changes to the modem have to be done by true and you cannot even set your own access password? if so, that is a definite no-go.

With the Thomson DOCSIS modem/router, you can access the modem/router's setup menu as long as you get the User ID/password when the True technician sets it up in your residence. That's what I did and changed the password while he was there. The User ID is probably "admin" because it still is for me and I didn't change that to the best of my memory...but I did change the password...and have changed it once or twice since initial setup. I can't remember what the default password was...it might have been part of the serial number/MAC or "password". About the only reason I ever access the setup menu is to play with the Wifi settings to improve/maximize Wifi connection reliability/speed with my laptops/smartphones/tablets.

Can you link to a page that gives adsl xdsl packages?

What I see it True using the xDSL as an umbrella term for all DSL packages and then specifically referring to ADSL 10-16 mbps and VDSL 20-50 mbps.

trueonline product-internet-xdsl

I would say if they have an ADSL 13/1 and an XDSL 13/1, the later is a marketing goof.

that was the page i was just going to link you to, and that's exactly what i thought. just wanted someone else to confirm as i seem to be very stupid lately blink.png

the prices are the same as well, so i suppose there is no difference

I may be completely wrong but I view DOCSIS cable internet as being more reliable, with better International speeds and easily more scale-able that adsl.

Just get a DOCSIS modem that provides Bridge Mode.

Then again I might be a bit biased as my year on a TOT adsl connection was frustrating compared to my current FTTx connecction.

Edited by RichCor

You can't buy your own DOCSIS modem to use on the True DOCSIS system... True will not allow access ; it must be a True provided DOCSIS modem and is married to the system like how they marry their TV settop boxes to the system. True tightly controls what DOCSIS modems are allowed on the system for configuration control purposes. But for ADSL systems you can use your own modem if desired.

Sent from my Onda V971 tablet

I don't think anyone suggested he buy a DOCSIS modem.

I suggested that I believe TRUE Cable Broadband Internet is the better service over ADSL and he should go with that, and when doing so should get, that is specify with TRUE that he requires, a DOCSIS modem that can be BRIDGED.

You probably get a slightly better bang for the buck with DOCSIS although it is challenging to compare exactly (16/1/ADSL/1,399 vs. 20/2/DOCSIS/1,299).

Fixed-line packages above 16/1 are delivered over VDSL, but that is limited to a tiny, select few buildings; below that are ADSL.

True's copper and DOCSIS systems are both in reasonably new condition; a DOCSIS system can be a bit more finicky to tune. Both scale equally well/poorly, and probably share similar domestic back-haul // international bandwidth traits.

ADSL is probably more secure in that you can utilize/manage your own modem; DOCSIS/VDSL modems can/will be accessed by True if needed.

There are a lot more double- and triple-play promotions/bundles with DOCSIS/Cable TV/analog telephone; there may even be 4x/5x bundles with TrueMove H and True WiFI?

See pages 40 - 47 for True On-line promotions: http://true.listedcompany.com/misc/PRESN/20140605-TRUE-keyPromotion.pdf

post-9615-0-66840600-1402017105_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

When I saw the internet via cable plan image above I thought to myself its missing the their 15Mb/1.5Mb plan at Bt699/mo like I've had for a couple of years...most bang for the Mb I think since the 10Mb is Bt599/mo and the 20Mb plan Bt1299/mo. But I just went to the TrueOnline website and their advertisements no longer show the 15Mb/1.5Mb plan...too good to last I guess.

Well, actually when I got the plan I downgraded from their 20Mb/2Mb cable plan at Bt1,299/mo to their 14Mb/1.4Mb at Bt699/mo...didn't notice any difference in day-to-day surfing/emailing, downloading, or international speeds. But over the last year or so I saw they were no longer advertising the 14Mb/1.4Mb plan (I always thought a 14Mb/1.4Mb plan was a strange speed combination); instead they were advertising a 15Mb/1.5Mb plan. And I also noticed on my monthly bill, and confirmed by speedtests, that they had automatically upgraded me from my 14Mb plan to the new 15Mb plan with no price change/increase...cool.

But now it appears the 15Mb/1.5Mb plan at Bt699/mo is history except for folks who already have it....such a shame as that plan gave more bang for the baht in comparison to their 10Mb and 20Mb plans. However, but, maybe, just maybe it's still available if a person asks for it (all they could say is Sorry, Not Available)...it's just True is no longer advertising it; then again, maybe that plan was getting the bulk of customers causing fewer people to consider the higher speed plans like their 20Mb/2Mb plan or even their lower speed 10Mb plan.

Edited by Pib

True have scads of promotions, including some still in the "too good to be True" category....

There's even a 15/1.5 bursting to 30, along with 124 channels (+5 in HD) of cable TV, free analog phone and calling, all for 899.

post-9615-0-65762900-1402032396_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

thanks again to everyone for their input - just came from true and they do in fact still offer the 15/1.5 docsis plan which i just signed up for, and they are installing tomorrow! i almost did the 20/2 plan but it was almost twice as expensive, and i am sure would make little difference in actual speeds. i was told i would have to discuss the modem with the technician who is supposed to call me before he comes, so i will be sure and tell him i don't want the thompson and get the login details from him during installation.

ADSL is probably more secure in that you can utilize/manage your own modem; DOCSIS/VDSL modems can/will be accessed by True if needed.

this interests (and concerns) me, if i change the password they should not be able to access the modem, or do they have a back door? doesn't really matter i suppose, as everything behind the modem should be secure (at least i would hope! ;>}), but i am curious nonetheless.

do they have a back door?

Yep. Although I wouldn't call it a "back door", it's just a "door". They need to be able to manage/monitor/download updates to, the device.

Any device which you up-link to, like your own router, will be as secure as you make it.

thanks again to everyone for their input - just came from true and they do in fact still offer the 15/1.5 docsis plan which i just signed up for, and they are installing tomorrow! i almost did the 20/2 plan but it was almost twice as expensive, and i am sure would make little difference in actual speeds. i was told i would have to discuss the modem with the technician who is supposed to call me before he comes, so i will be sure and tell him i don't want the thompson and get the login details from him during installation.

I know I was a happy camper when I downgraded from the 20Mb/2Mb plan at Bt1,299/mo to the 15Mb/1.5Mb plan at Bt699/mo Saw no difference in day to day browsing, emailing, downloading, international speed, etc. You would only see the difference if running a speedtest to an in-Thailand server; international speed is no better or not much better than ADSL service because you are still using the True backbone and international gateway. And when they implemented "bursting" on DOCSIS about a year ago, your short-term download speed is actually much higher which is great for browsing, downloading files, emailing attachments, etc. Saved enough money each month in the downgrade to pay for my DTAC smartphone monthly voice/data plan.

And since the bursting lasts for a short period of probably around 30 to 60 seconds, any speedtest you run which takes around 30 seconds will give you significantly higher download speed. For example, below are a couple of speedtest resuts I ran from my western Bangkok home to the TOT and True speedtest servers in Bangkok at 3pm today/Friday. Notice the download speed with bursting is approx double the rated speed; upload speed is not affected by bursting. And while the test was running I saw it peak over 35Mb for a second or so before settling down to the final results shown below...I've seen some tests which will peak over 40Mb for a second or two depending on the time of day/night....think I saw a 45Mb peak one time for a second or so. Your results may vary as a lot can depend on how good your local DOCSIS connection is...how loaded down your local circuits are, etc. Good luck with your new 15Mb/1.5Mb DOCSIS plan...I've been happy with mine.

post-55970-0-52559000-1402041876_thumb.j

post-55970-0-94493600-1402041891_thumb.j

Edit P.S. The technician is probably going to show-up with whatever modem/router they issue for the plan as he gets them issued out based on your order...it's not like pick and choose your modem. However, if you bend his ear with your needs such as needing a modem/router with "bridge" capability maybe you can get another one issued that has the capability if the one he initially brings does not have bridge capability. I've had the True-issued Thomson router for about two years now...it's worked fine but it don't do bridging mode which is not an issue for me. They initially gave me a Cisco router when on the 20Mb/2Mb which did have bridging capability but it developed an upload problem after 18 months or so and they replaced it with the Thomson router. Also, be sure to have him go into the firmware setup during the installation so you can pick/change the password.

Edited by Pib