Curfew enforcement getting more repressive

WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curfew enforced during FIFA world cup Jun 6, 2014

Lifestyle

CityNews - The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) yesterday pondered whether to make curfew hours more flexible for the World Cup tournament, which kicks off next week. They have decided against the idea.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=3985

Kick em whilst they are down would seem appropriate!

The OP is just plain dumb; clearly made up like his other ones trying to find ways to moan or negative about the curfew. His story is full of holes as other posters have pointed out already.

As for why Bk, the North and NE still have curfew it's obvious by the amount of weapons and arrests being made, the deaths up to this point, and the words of the red leaders themselves threatening civil war and other violence and insurrection, just maybe this should give you a clue. It's not the military having a laugh, random or out of spite.

Luckily cost of living here is cheap enough and the law free enough that anybody put out of night part wages can go catch fish in the river and/ or sell moo ping by the road or sell flowers at traffic lights or whatever to get by. Might be unpleasant for a bit but it's not like people are starving because of the curfew.

• Like 1

By not cancelling curfew in Chiang Mai, as they have done in other tourist cities, the army may appear to be biased. An easy way around that would be to lift curfew, but enforce opening hours. That would still have most people off the streets but give the appearance of freedom.

• Like 1

The OP is just plain dumb; clearly made up like his other ones trying to find ways to moan or negative about the curfew. His story is full of holes as other posters have pointed out already.

As for why Bk, the North and NE still have curfew it's obvious by the amount of weapons and arrests being made, the deaths up to this point, and the words of the red leaders themselves threatening civil war and other violence and insurrection, just maybe this should give you a clue. It's not the military having a laugh, random or out of spite.

Luckily cost of living here is cheap enough and the law free enough that anybody put out of night part wages can go catch fish in the river and/ or sell moo ping by the road or sell flowers at traffic lights or whatever to get by. Might be unpleasant for a bit but it's not like people are starving because of the curfew.

The last paragraph is a classic. It would have been simpler for you just to have said "let them eat cake".

I'm sure the people selling flowers at traffic lights make more than enough to keep their kids in school.

Oh wait, those people are kids, and they're out of school!

Curfew may be lifted in Chiang Mai soon

in General | June 7, 2014(641 views)
  • IMGP9582-wpcf_728x413.jpg
Chiang Maiarrow-10x10.png may be the next province where the midnight-4 am curfew imposed since May 22 by the military junta will soon be lifted.

Maj-Gen Sarayuth Rangsee, commander of the 33rd army district, said today that all sectors in Chiang Maiarrow-10x10.png had been very cooperative with the NCPO as there were no political activities as well as assembly of underground forces to defy the military junta.

He said that if the peaceful situation in Chiang Maiarrow-10x10.png persists a big longer, curfew would soon be lifted as demanded by several business sectors.

On Friday, the NCPO lifted curfew in Hua Hinarrow-10x10.png, Cha-am, Phang-nga and Krabi provinces.

Maj-Gen Sarayuth warned whoever still possess war weapons to hand them over to the military within June 10 otherwise they will face harsh punishment.

As for the reconciliation efforts, the local military and local administration have jointly held entertainment activities under the slogan “restoration of happiness to the people” at Wua Lai walking street today and at Ratchadamnoen walking street tomorrow.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/curfew-may-lifted-chiang-mai-soon/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=curfew-may-lifted-chiang-mai-soon

The last paragraph is a classic. It would have been simpler for you just to have said "let them eat cake".

What's the line from Caddyshack? "The world needs ditchdiggers, too."

Clearly they would be in night bazaar and other organised markets, but anyone can set up by the road or out the back of a pick up or walking around.

12pm curfew

What time is night bazaar most busy? 8 till 11:30pm? Normally close between 12 and 1 at normal times? I don't know - I haven't been in years

• Like 1

Yes, but a lot of those people finish by 12 and then want to go and get something to eat, as do employees and customers leaving various bars, nightclubs, etc. So all the mom and pop food vendors on places like Loi Kroh have lost most of their income.

It's cretinous maintaining a curfew now, the police and military presence should forestall any trouble.

Chico

It may or may not be "cretinous" , I don't know what the military knows; could well be there are dangers and information/ intelligence we are not a party to. I am happy to let them do their job of maintaining security as they see fit.

My point was that at least these "mom & pop" noodle sellers (or anybody else out of pocket) have the freedom from over regulation to be able to go sell moo ping by the road during the day to make up a bit for a loss of business at night.

This freedom from regulation is a great thing; which I hope will never changes in Thailand. (Although PT started to add regulations- like no booze at stalls next from the street and more regs for small size hotels and all sorts, but that's all another topic)

Yes, but a lot of those people finish by 12 and then want to go and get something to eat, as do employees and customers leaving various bars, nightclubs, etc. So all the mom and pop food vendors on places like Loi Kroh have lost most of their income.

It's cretinous maintaining a curfew now, the police and military presence should forestall any trouble.

Thought this was so hard on you that you were considering leaving the country back to a nanny state I presume.

I am quite sure that most of the sellers at the night bazaar prefer to go home after work. Walk down the street. You will see many of them eating an evening meal on the site. Many food carts after 22:00. Those who prefer to go for a drink and there is not that many considering there is probably only 100 sellers more than likely do not go to a tourist bar on Loi Kroh.

I believe that the curfew is not really needed now but there still remains in Chiang Mai elements of people who wish no one any good. Witness the explosions at a gas station recently and the discovery in red shirt radio station of ping pong bombs. I am all in favor of a larger showing but no need for the curfew NOW.

Edited by northernjohn

Help me understand, which is more important, satisfying the needs of hungry tourists/boozers or temporary security measures?

I don't mean to be contrairian but this is surely a matter of priorities which, many people seem to have got seriously wrong!

It's interesting that you see the current situation as an issue of boozing v security. Please be assured you could never be mistaken for a contrarian.

Help me understand, which is more important, satisfying the needs of hungry tourists/boozers or temporary security measures?

I don't mean to be contrairian but this is surely a matter of priorities which, many people seem to have got seriously wrong!

It's interesting that you see the current situation as an issue of boozing v security. Please be assured you could never be mistaken for a contrarian.

Interesting also that you chose to ignore the word "hungry"!

• Like 1

Junta lifts curfew in more areas on Sunday

National Council for Peace and Order on Sunday lifted curfew in more of tourism areas. They are Koh Changarrow-10x10.png of Trat province, Hat Yai of Songkhla province and Koh Pangan of Surat Thani province.

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BfgaY1OWGm.
-- The Nation 2014-06-08

The point Winnie is making is why not lift the curfew for the whole country. Let us have unity not division.

We are smack in the middle of Thaksin territory. I am all for lifting the curfew, but I can understand the army's thinking.

the army's thinking.

That's a great oxymoron!

Only beaten by 'Army intelligence'

Edited by scottishjohn

I have a flight booked to Bangkok in July, and if this petty nonsense is still going on then, it will be to connect to pastures new I think.

you're going to leave the country over a 4 hour curfew??? why not just stock your fridge? want a drink after midnight? problem solved.

No, I'm just not going to stop in it. I prefer to go to a place where I might have a better chance of being treated as both a paying guest and a responsible adult.

Go for it, even where the curfew is lifted, its truly an under controlled circumstances. Stopped searched all the time, If its for a holiday i would advice anybody flip to the next page in the travel brochure, Clearly people who see having a beer out of a fridge at home as the same as being out and about in bar atmosphere never go out into the bars. Tourist don't want to sit having a beer out of a fridge have worked hard for a holiday, and the comparison is ludicrous.

This from a piece on the Reuters app:

""

Thailand's junta kept many of the thousands of troops and police it readied to deal with protests in Bangkok on Sunday off the streets as the number of people making a public show of dissent to the May 22 coup dwindled

""

And

""

On Sunday, few protests took place and the security presence was lighter. Half a dozen women outside a mall gave the three-fingered salute that has become a symbol of defiance to the coup.

""

A gaggle of geese.

If all carries on nice and peaceably and the military feels they have cleared up all of the war weapons that they can then I expect the curfew will be lifted in a week or two nation wide.

The point Winnie is making is why not lift the curfew for the whole country. Let us have unity not division.

We are smack in the middle of Thaksin territory. I am all for lifting the curfew, but I can understand the army's thinking.

the army's thinking.

That's a great oxymoron!

Only beaten by 'Army intelligence'

... and, obviously,...... Scottish amicable...

I have a flight booked to Bangkok in July, and if this petty nonsense is still going on then, it will be to connect to pastures new I think.

you're going to leave the country over a 4 hour curfew??? why not just stock your fridge? want a drink after midnight? problem solved.

No, I'm just not going to stop in it. I prefer to go to a place where I might have a better chance of being treated as both a paying guest and a responsible adult.

Go for it, even where the curfew is lifted, its truly an under controlled circumstances. Stopped searched all the time, If its for a holiday i would advice anybody flip to the next page in the travel brochure, Clearly people who see having a beer out of a fridge at home as the same as being out and about in bar atmosphere never go out into the bars. Tourist don't want to sit having a beer out of a fridge have worked hard for a holiday, and the comparison is ludicrous.

Not half as ludicrous as a tourist has to be in a bar after midnight.

There are places in Thailand for those kind of tourists and the ban has been lifted on most of them. There is still places ion Thailand where there is a chance of violence to break out from either side. Witness here in Chiang Mai a few weeks ago we had a couple of bomb attacks. No idea of which side was responsible. We recently had many ping pong bombs discovered in a known red shirt radio station. I believe that the curfew could be lifted here but I can also understand the Army's reluctance to do it.

Also Chiang Mai is not known as a destination to booze all night in and have your pick of the Ladies or Lady Boys. Very few tourists will be bothered by a midnight curfew.

Oh, c'mon now, what's wrong with enforcing the law?

Don't we all think Thailand doesn't have an effective law enforcement?

Don't most of us think honest officers couldn't carry out their duties without fear and prejudice due to authorities taking advantage of their positions? Most of all, don't most of us think most authorities do not accept responsibiities for their actions and instructions?

And above everything else, don't we all, who live here, wish an effective law enforcement and the country a safe and stable place?

How much freedom and liberty do you need to live peacefully without being a trouble rouser?

It's unfortunate that it needs the militaty to make the country a better place for us to live, but they are doing a good job! So, a little sacrfice from us is well worth it!

• Like 1