Car Accident in Rent car

micks

Depends on the rental company, if it's a smaller company and it's the other person's fault, try to collect a cash payment from him to pay your deposit. Then call up the insurer and say the other guy did a runner and you didn't get his details.

They will void your deposit.

An Dutch acquaintance had an accident in a rental car outside of Pattaya. Police showed up at the scene and despite all the myths to the contrary, treated him fairly and clearly determined the other driver (Thai) was at fault. His rental contract had a phone number to call in case of an accident. A representative of the rental company was on scene in less than 30 minutes and all was sorted out on the spot. When the rental rep. tried to push for an unreasonably high damage claim, the police intervened and a fair amount was settled on.

When my friend returned the car later in the day, he even got his deposit back.

Take the time to read your contract and understand it's terms. Deal with a established rental company and not a rinky-dink no name operation. Ask specifically what to do in case of an accident or break down and finally, take pictures of all four quarters of the car and specific pictures of any dings.

One other suggestion...take a picture of the license plate in case the vehicle is stolen...the plate number is first thing the police will ask and of course, you wont know it. Having a picture will make things a lot easier. Also applies to motorbike rentals.

• Like 1

I had an accident in a Hertz car 4 years ago. A policeman was doing the funky chicken in the middle of the road so I pulled over next to his colleague, a soldier in a 4X4 did the same thing and ran into the back of my Vios. There was a sticker on the windshield with a number to call so my wife called it and an insurance guy was sent out, she is Thai so language not an issue and would expect the larger car hire firms to have English speakers.

Due to the heat the kind policemen allowed us to move the cars to the nearby highway police station to wait for the insurance reps, they brought us cool water then promptly scarpered. Insurance people turned up, paperwork completed and we were on our way within 2 hours. Luckily we had the extra insurance.

#8 ^ 'Luckily we had the extra insurance.'

What 'the' extra insurance? Thnx

The major international rental car companies will offer you premium insurance at a reasonable cost, and then if anything at all happens you just leave it with them with no personal responsibility for the car. I don't know about small companies. I always rent from Hertz or Avis and I'm certain to use a US Visa card. Then I'm also covered by all US consumer protection laws and Visa will back-charge the rental company if they rip me off.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to be cheap.

• Like 2

The only times I have ever rented a car in Thailand -- and never for more than a few days -- I also had them provide the driver. They wouldn't even know my name except for the deposit receipt. If an accident occurs, it is their driver.

BTW one driver's was the police off-duty.

• Like 1

Do like a Thai...get out and run.

It may work for a Thai, temporarily. I would never recommend breaking the law, even in jest.

I have had an accident here, car vs dog, which broke the radiator and made the car undriveable. I called the rental company and they had an insurance adjuster and replacement car driven out to my Issan location.

Get the full coverage insurance. It was well worth it. I would also recommend sticking with the major rental companies. From my experience, you get better service, although the price may be higher than the small companies.

Good travels my friend.

#8 ^ 'Luckily we had the extra insurance.'

What 'the' extra insurance? Thnx

Perhaps he was refering to full coverage to cover the deductible. It costs a bit more, but worth every Satang if you have an accident. (Personal experience).

Basic collision damage CDW is about 8,000 baht deductible which means that you can total the vehicle, pay 8,000baht and walk away. Basic CDW is usually included in the price of a rental car, it is at most larger rental companies anyhow and if not included is usually only a hundred baht/day or so extra? For a luxury car, the deductible may be 15,000 baht? Best to read the fine print.

When I moved here from the UK I rented a toyota car from a small guy in phitsanluk 4 years ago living in phetchabun was living at (then gf) shop car was parked outside shop female on m/c drove into back of it (raining small boy on back holding brolly for her so she could not see for 4 secs?? had 300 mts to plan ahead anyway bong said to gf call police she said no call rental man first he spoke to her on phone said she would pay for damage..took car to body shop 50.000bt to fix rental man calls her she said i cannot pay that money..he calls insurance man come took pics phoned lady said you gonna pay she said no he then said ok i call police he called phetchabun police station she worked at big tesco here and they have permanant police there,15 mins later they have arrested and taken her to station.he said to me ok I take care of now you no worry,I was so impressed by the way it was done.and this was by a man who rented second hand cars at a good price..not promo him all changed now he only does new cars and price gone up..point i am making is that you can get a good deal as long as you check that car have number 1 ins and check paperwork..