Can a RS Sunbox (World Cup) connect to a CTH satellite?

CarolinaJames

Most of the CTH package channels on Vinasat 2 are Irdeto2 encrypted so requires a CTH box that has the decryption chip and codes built-in.

LyngSat: CTH on Vinasat 2 (at 131.8°E)

I don't really understand this. Right now, I have a CTH box and package that works fine. If I buy a RS box 1,500 baht for the World Cup, can I just connect it and it will work. I see them trying to sell these things all over the place (even 7-11) so I assumed they would connect to any Sat.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The CTH channels are received from Vinasat 2 Ku-band, so your Ku-band dish is currently pointing at the Vinasat 2 satellite (located at 131.8°E)

The RS Sunbox channels are received from Thaicom 5/6 on either C-band [big dish] or Ku-band [small dish] (located at 78.5°E)

TWO different satellites. Your dish can only point to one of them.

your OPTIONS are:

1. Turn your Ku-band dish to point at Thaicom satellite, unplug the CTH receiver and plug in the SunBox and watch the World Cup.
  2. Buy a second dish and run another cable feed to the Sunbox, Have TV set up to switch between CTH and Sunbox receivers. Watch the World Cup.

While there may be other options they are complicated by the fact that most Satellite Packages in Thailand only work with that companies branded DVB-S2 Set-Top-Box Receiver.

All the DVB-S2 Set-Top-Box Receivers will receive FTA (Free-To-Air) channels, but the boxes generally will not tune a competitors channel package, even when broadcast from the same satellite.

Hi, i'm also interested in buying the box since it seems to be the only "safe" solution for watching the world cup games without having a nervous breakdown because of bad signals or such

i think I have a different problem. i stay in a condominium where I dont have my own satellite dish. there is an antenna plug in the wall, and if I plug it to a true tv box it works just fine. question is: can I just unplug the true tv box and plug the antenna cable into the rs sunbox? will it work?

Today at central I had a close look at this box. They say many channels are HD, but the box doesn't have any HD output, only simple AV output.

I am not an expert in audio visual technologies but I guess that a real HD channel would require a hdmi output?

been thinking of these iptv boxes as an alternative, but I cant find enough reviews about it, reviews that are not an advertising. any advice or comment on this?

thank you

Hi, i'm also interested in buying the box since it seems to be the only "safe" solution for watching the world cup games without having a nervous breakdown because of bad signals or such

[...]

i stay in a condominium where I dont have my own satellite dish. there is an antenna plug in the wall, and if I plug it to a true tv box it works just fine. question is: can I just unplug the true tv box and plug the antenna cable into the rs sunbox? will it work?

Today at central I had a close look at this box. They say many channels are HD, but the box doesn't have any HD output, only simple AV output.

I am not an expert in audio visual technologies but I guess that a real HD channel would require a hdmi output?

[...]

thank you

True TV Box vs RS Sunbox:

True uses both CABLE or SATELLITE to deliver their signal. You would need to contact the condominium and ask them which service type that wall plug provides.

Box doesn't have any HD output, just simple AV output

You'll usually find two or more types of DVB-S2 boxes are being sold. The 'standard' or 'lite' versions will only receive SD (Standard Definition programming) and compatible with older TVs that have the yellow RCA 'composite-only' video jack. The higher-cost HD versions will receive both SD and HD (High Definition) programming and have HDMI and/or Component-out video jacks.

But your problem may have resolved itself:

RS allows TrueVisions to broadcast all World Cup 2014 matches

ThaiVisa : webfact Posted 2014-06-09, 16:55

It response to the original post, has anyone yet purchased the RS box to try with CTH. RS claim it works with all the major dishes, but whether it is simply a case of plugging it in, instead of the CTH box, it is not clear.

Obviously if it mean realigning the dish, not something your average joe can do.

• 5 months later...

I have got an RS Sunbox and a True Vistions STB using the same feed from my existing True satellite dish via a splitter and I can watch EPL footy on the Sunbox and True on the True STB.

Edited by mxyzptlk