World cup: Curfew may be eased during tournament

webfact

WORLD CUP
Curfew may be eased during tournament

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) yesterday mulled whether to make curfew hours more flexible for the World Cup tournament, which kicks off next week.

Junta spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari said the NCPO tried to adjust the curfew hours with the current situation but its main concern was security.

"The curfew helps people to go home early and spend more time with their family. You can watch the World Cup at home. We think the time [for the curfew] is suitable. However, we are ready to review it if the situation eases," he said.

The NCPO imposed a 10pm-5am curfew over the entire country when it seized power on May 22, but later eased the curfew hours to midnight till 4am. Pattaya, Samui, and Phuket were later released from the curfew.

The World Cup will start on June 12 and run until July 13.

Winthai said the NCPO was looking at easing curfew hours in more tourist spots.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-06

NCPO asks football fans to consider watching World Cup matches at home

BANGKOK, 6 June 2014 (NNT) – Army deputy spokesman, Colonel Winthai Suwari, suggested on Thursday that football fans should perhaps consider watching late night World Cup broadcasts at home if the nighttime curfew remains in place when the football event commences, adding that doing so would also help individuals spend quality time with their family.

According to Col. Winthai, the NCPO has constantly been evaluating curfew exemption requests submitted by the public and the curfews have already been adjusted on a few occasions. Personally, he believes more relaxing of the curfew will come about in the not-too-distant future. However, he noted that such development would depend on the internal security situation.

Col. Winthai also spoke to media about individuals going about asking for donations, claiming that they represented the military. He said the NCPO would like to warn those offenders against making false claims to exploit the public for their own benefit; he also noted that this activity is undermining the atmosphere of unity-creation at present.

With the football World Cup – and the associated surge in gambling activities – fast approaching, Col. Winthai also warned the NCPO would not tolerate propagation of vices.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-06 footer_n.gif

NOTICE

Due to the fluid situation in Thailand and the pressure being placed on the media,

Thaivisa will temporarily impose strict limitations on any comments that can be construed as being negative about the imposition of Martial Law or the Coup.

Posters will also not be permitted to make references to the royal family.

It is the hope of Thaivisa that this will be a temporary situation.

Thaivisa will continue to monitor the situation and it is our wish that in a short while we will be able to less strict in the policy concerning posting.

Posts contravening the policy will be removed without notice.

Please exercise extreme care in your posts. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

/Admin

Thailand F****d up the WC 4 years ago and now they will do it again. They never manage to broadcast a decent WC. Stupid people.

Yea I know where you're coming from, I hate those squat toilets also.

• Like 2

Quite agree with ezzra - this is as expected and does not give much credibility to the powers that be. You can't say yes to a whole load of drink and drug fuelled tourists partying and no to genuine tourism in Chiang Mai - the curfew should be on or off and the sooner it is the latter the better - let ordinary people get on with their lives.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In the movie Gladiator, the demented Roman Ruler - Commodus (played by Joaquin Phoenix) tried to entertain the masses by holding these brutal games. How times have changed. Now we have the World Cup to entertain us.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

who cares as the world cup doesn't interest me but the generals do seem to be selective with the curfew.

"who cares as the world cup doesn't interest me"

So nobody cares just because it doesn't interest YOU?

Curfews come and go.....and so do soccer* matches. Plus there's the replays.

*Football
The world cup occurs every 4 years, it's not your average premier league game. And &lt;deleted&gt; replays - they are not the same.

• Like 1

Curfews come and go.....and so do soccer matches. Plus there's the replays.

Replays aren't the same.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Think you'll find they are exactly the same.

Curfews come and go.....and so do soccer matches. Plus there's the replays.

Replays aren't the same.

Think you'll find they are exactly the same.

Oh dear, somebody has woken up in a little mood.

• Like 1

Thailand F****d up the WC 4 years ago and now they will do it again. They never manage to broadcast a decent WC. Stupid people.

Maybe they're not as stupid as the people who think football matches are that important.

• Like 1

The curfew is pretty irrelivent in my opinion when it comes to the world cup.

I live in Korat, not too many places will be open at 3am for the afternoon games and they won't be able to serve alcohol anyway, not that I can either last till then or get up at that time and start drinking beer... So this WC is going to be a non starter for me anyway with regards sitting in a bar with my mates.

Also the 8am kick offs.... same same.... Out of curfew hours anyway, but who wants t sit in a pub drinking then?

Oh dear, somebody has woken up in a little mood.

Don't worry about it too much, just have a coffee or something and you'll soon be feeling better.

Edited by MMarlow

Quality time with the family?

Her. Tilac can you turn the TV down I can't sleep?

Him. Hey shut up!! shut the door and stick a pillow over your head England are playing

Her. You don't have to make so much noise

Him.........Oh geez!!! you made me miss that goal......shut that effin door and go to your bed willya!!!

Her: mumble mumble mumble.......Slam!!!!!

Yeah real quality time laugh.png

• Like 2

Yea I know where you're coming from, I hate those squat toilets also.

Haha

Excuse me if I'm wrong but aren't the matches to be shown at like 2/3 am?

Although I love watching live FOOTBALL and indeed just recently bought a big, smart TV, not sure I can last that long! Story of my life I suppose ..

In the movie Gladiator, the demented Roman Ruler - Commodus (played by Joaquin Phoenix) tried to entertain the masses by holding these brutal games. How times have changed. Now we have the World Cup to entertain us.

I liked those games. Footie on the other hand is for old women.

This curfew is becoming a joke, its more like a designer curfew, here yes, there no,

full moon party no, world cup no, red shirts cities yes, entertainments places no,

what's give, if curfew that do it right, if not, stop with this nonsenses...

If they stopped the nonsense they wouldn't have anything to do.