Police unveil new measures to resolve traffic problems in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite frankly I think the best the police can do is to dissolve the traffic police unit. Or at least let them only handle the traffic at the exits of small sois.

But the fundamental problem is, that there are too few roads for too many vehicles. True, you can get a better ratio, when using a motorbike instead of a big car, especially, as most cars transport only one person.

Next problem is, that people need to travel long distances to work and back home. That keeps them on the road for longer time. I knwo people travelling 2 hours each to and from work! Find a job around where you live would reduce the use of traffic.

Increase public transport infrastructure, MRT and Skytrain are too little to make a difference.

And also throw out those old laws, that are only useful for the police to receive bribes. Let motorcycles go across bridges like at the Thai-Belgium bridge. Allow all vehicles to use all lanes. That specific law is from 1932, when motorcycles probably didn't even exist in Thailand...

And finally either reduce the amount of taxis OR find other ways to take them off the road, like with taxi queues for (taxi) cars. And revoke a licence, if the driver has been found to drive like an idiot for 3 or more times.

There migth be more solutions still...

Police unveil new measures to resolve traffic problems - let me guess, they're banned from messing with any buttons that control traffic signals and/or blowing whistles and/or any other "traffic control" measures they normally employ . . . job done, congestion eased

Edited by Tatsujin
  • Like 1

As long as there is no attractive alternative to private car transportation, the traffic will get worse and worse.

No car owner/driver in his right mind will ever leave his car home and try to reach his destination by bus. The few lucky ones near BTS/MRT show that an attractive public transportation system works.

Instead of building high speed trains, between Hua Lampoong and Udon Thani (which will always run at loss), build an attractive system of public transportation in Bangkok with fast and clean buses running in bus lanes (and the Police enforces the "no cars in bus-lanes"), extend BTS/MRT and thus give the car driver an alternative to get to work, which is fast, reliable and safe and he will leave his car home.

And stop this government subsidies for first-time car owners.

And stop government subsidies for gasoline (Diesel or petrol)

And stop the daily madness at the toll pay on express ways.

.. I have more

basically: Enforce the law.

Edited by dominique355
  • Like 2

Go over any bridge in Bangkok clearly labelled no motorbikes and you will see hundreds going down the middle between lanes of cars.

On the rare occasion the police set up a check point mid bridge, they bikes simply turn around and leave, only to return later in the day, next day etc.

Solution: Block them from taking the bridges : permanent placed at the bridge entrance but that would be too much work or even better just haul them all off and impound them for 10,000 baht.

how do those bikes slow you down ? They dont, just make sure bikes get more rights as they take up less space imagine those bikers using cars. Result even more traffic.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Go over any bridge in Bangkok clearly labelled no motorbikes and you will see hundreds going down the middle between lanes of cars.

On the rare occasion the police set up a check point mid bridge, they bikes simply turn around and leave, only to return later in the day, next day etc.

Solution: Block them from taking the bridges : permanent placed at the bridge entrance but that would be too much work or even better just haul them all off and impound them for 10,000 baht.

Or even better take away the silly bike restrictions!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes, that makes sense.... actually let's get rid of all restrictions, lights etc while we are at it.

Get rid of the bikes like the junta did in Yangon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I see i raised a biker s-storm lol

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Because your remark was stupid bikes except for food carts dont cause the slowdown Cars do, you shoud wish more ppl take the bike. If I take my car instead of my bike there is more congestion.

• Like 2

how do those bikes slow you down ? They dont, just make sure bikes get more rights as they take up less space imagine those bikers using cars. Result even more traffic.

Rob, my irritation with bikes (some drivers of) is:

they underestimate they ability to dodge traffic resulting in many accidents / deaths - I see several on any given week. In traffic terms, these add to the jams while they wait for rescue services to cart off the dead (sorry a bit insensitive but a fact)

they never ever stay in the left lane as I believe the law states (see above)

when they go between cars they can scratch the shit out of them and just take off.

bikers think that sidewalks are normal places to drive - not related to traffic jams but still a p-off.

i like bikes : used to own one but due to the non enforcement of laws (see Songkran accident stats) they don't improve the situation on the roads here.

Well, that will certainly increase motorbike traffic on the sidewalks. In spite of the pictures of police stopping this practice, I have not seen any change in the Ratchatewi district where they ride their motorbikes at 15-20kph and think they have the right of way. I'm not talking about the motorbike taxis ... they are respectful of pedestrians but it is the other people who want to go counter flow to the traffic on Petchaburi Rd. or circumvent traffic jams. What about your district?

95% of the drivers here are ok in my opinion.

The other 5% put us all in danger.

Fact is, you can drive like an idiot on a straight road here and there is no chance of getting busted for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Actually, you are wrong. The chances of getting busted are not about your driving but about whether you are wearing a shirt.

Well, that will certainly increase motorbike traffic on the sidewalks. In spite of the pictures of police stopping this practice, I have not seen any change in the Ratchatewi district where they ride their motorbikes at 15-20kph and think they have the right of way. I'm not talking about the motorbike taxis ... they are respectful of pedestrians but it is the other people who want to go counter flow to the traffic on Petchaburi Rd. or circumvent traffic jams. What about your district?

Yes...i do it in every districtgiggle.gif

I thought the RTP was being renamed to remove the Royal endorsement?

If they have not yet, the military certainly should do that. One of the

greatest ongoing cases of lese majeste in Thailand is to affix the word

royal in front of that band of thieves.... Regarding this story, after

driving everywhere in Thailand for 14 years, they need officers to

actually drive around and fine people for moving violations. These

silly check points they use do not work to change driving behavior.

All they do is sit around, drink coffee, and fine people for imagined

offenses..

• Like 1

Police unveils new measures to solve Bangkok Traffic problems.

I don't understand that. They could have dusted off that wonderful "in six months' plan one of their brilliant Police Lieutenant-Colonel's once presented. Mind you, it may have been only a verbal plan without much substance as the conceiver left after three months.

Edited by rubl

The answer is: No licence = No car/motor bike/truck.

That would solve the congestion problem over night.

add also : no insurance ,no number plate,not the right age ,drunk,high on ya bah.........

this would make the streets look empty !coffee1.gif

I will never stop being amazed at the ability or willingness of the thais to sit in traffic and go nowhere,

i really do travel around bkk on a daily basis and 99.9% of the time by motorbike (i own 3 of them), if by car then my travel times can be counted in hours rather than minutes...using the car is,nt an option unless i have to carry large loads,

On my daily travels i notice surprisingly that many drivers actually drop of to sleep either at the traffic lights or in the jam, the situation is made worse by other drivers who hang around laughing and taking pictures then updating their facebook.

No, the solution is to allow motorbikes on these bridges, and for that matter motorways. As well as my Honda Click for round town I have a Honda Silverwing for touring. The difficulties these 'no go' area's for motorbikes create when trying to navigate from A to B, through a major city are immense. What does this ban on where motorcycles go do?- Nothing. Those Ex pats familiar with the law back in the UK will know that there are no such restrictions on motorcycles there, except your machine must be over 50cc to go on Motorways. I have actually been on some of these bridges that motorcycles are not allowed on, beacause the sign that prohibits them is after the exit ramp to avoid going on the bridge ! !. And of course with central reservations you have no option but to continue.

No, the solution is to allow motorbikes on these bridges, and for that matter motorways. As well as my Honda Click for round town I have a Honda Silverwing for touring. The difficulties these 'no go' area's for motorbikes create when trying to navigate from A to B, through a major city are immense. What does this ban on where motorcycles go do?- Nothing. Those Ex pats familiar with the law back in the UK will know that there are no such restrictions on motorcycles there, except your machine must be over 50cc to go on Motorways. I have actually been on some of these bridges that motorcycles are not allowed on, beacause the sign that prohibits them is after the exit ramp to avoid going on the bridge ! !. And of course with central reservations you have no option but to continue.

Don't re-invent the wheel, use the UK model for motorbikes.

Yes, some motorbike riders can be a pest but are they really the problem?

Rob, my irritation with bikes (some drivers of) is:

they underestimate they ability to dodge traffic resulting in many accidents / deaths - I see several on any given week. In traffic terms, these add to the jams while they wait for rescue services to cart off the dead (sorry a bit insensitive but a fact)

they never ever stay in the left lane as I believe the law states (see above)

when they go between cars they can scratch the shit out of them and just take off.

bikers think that sidewalks are normal places to drive - not related to traffic jams but still a p-off.

i like bikes : used to own one but due to the non enforcement of laws (see Songkran accident stats) they don't improve the situation on the roads here.

I am one of those drivers that won't stay in the left. I value my life and in the left lane busses taxis and minvans cut me off all the time. Plus i got a big bike that outperforms most cars in braking and speed. But if I don't keep up with the speed of traffic i move left.

If i get caught I pay up i know I cant be there I don't moan just pay.

Anyway if i were tot take my car i would add to the traffic (and yes I own a car but prefer the bike). Mostly bikes that get hit are not as much of a problem as cars that have accidents as its easier to remove those.

Having said that there are bikers that are totally crazy zigzagging everywhere without looking ahead and driving everyone mad. But there are cars enough that endanger everyone too. I hate them both equally.

• Like 1

To make it even more confusing on many of the bridges motorbikes are allowed in one direction but not the other ( maybe something to do with the height of the rails) or to entice people to ride over to a money collection point on the other side,

Many of the existing traffic laws seem to be designed to make police corruption easier.

95% of the drivers here are ok in my opinion.

The other 5% put us all in danger.

Fact is, you can drive like an idiot on a straight road here and there is no chance of getting busted for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

What ???????????????? You are surely not talking about Thailand, are you?