Honda Wave 125i VS Yamaha Spark 135i

The Spark is miles ahead of the wave... in everything.

The waves and other honda scooters tend to loose power quite a lot after 40,000-50,000 KM.

I just rode both of them yesterday, each with around 40K Km, even a click with 37,000 KM has lost at least 40% of its engine power.

they have been well maintained.

Does anybody know the difference in terms of hp and fuel consumption?

My 8 year old wave never gave me a problem. Now with 53,000 Km has lost a little power, but not 40%. It still goes more than 100 kph with 2 people on it and my mechanic offered me 10,000 baht in case I want to sell it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I am considering buying a Spark 135 I am 88 kilos and racing the Thai guys I need a little more engine displacement since they weigh almost nothing. Currently I have a Honda wave 125 its a few years old.

Please expand on your small displacement street racing experience. How does it make you feel like beating a Thai? What's the excitement doing down 120 Km/h on Sukhumvith ? Do you guys also do turns ?

I am considering buying a Spark 135 I am 88 kilos and racing the Thai guys I need a little more engine displacement since they weigh almost nothing. Currently I have a Honda wave 125 its a few years old.

I am going to put my Spark RX135i up for sale tonight. It has done 1628 km. I bought it new in 2008 for around the house.

Same as this one but in silver-grey/black.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/2008-Yamaha-Spark-135i-Fuel-Injection

Edited by Nickymaster

I am going to put my Spark RX135i up for sale tonight. It has done 1628 km. I bought it new in 2008 for around the house.

You want a chance to beat the Thai guys, you better buy a 150cc 2-stroke and go full race.

You already have a 50kg handicap.

Some of those guys running the 700 year stadium are Seriously Quick !!

Good as any I have seen anywhere.

• Like 1

OP said -Want a change of feel from this to a clutch/gear shift machine instead.

Did not know a Wave has a manual clutch ?

His Suzuki is fully auto.

Wave & most Sparks need foot shifting,

and have centrifugal clutch.

Doesn't papa know that at one point you could get a Wave with the standard centrifugal clutch, a manual clutch (RS?) and the AT? Perhaps still can?

OP said -Want a change of feel from this to a clutch/gear shift machine instead.

Doesn't papa know that at one point you could get a Wave with the standard centrifugal clutch, a manual clutch (RS?) and the AT? Perhaps still can?
Fairly sure they never had a manual clutch ex factory. But there are aftermarket kits available for a conversion. Mostly used for racing. AT is still available.

http://m.olx.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/68215723/Manual+Hand+Clutch+Kit+Wave+125+Xrm+Rs+Trinity?referralKeywords=wave+125+manual+clutch

Edited by Nickymaster

Fairly sure they never had a manual clutch ex factory. But there are aftermarket kits available for a conversion. Mostly used for racing. AT is still available.

http://m.olx.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/68215723/Manual+Hand+Clutch+Kit+Wave+125+Xrm+Rs+Trinity?referralKeywords=wave+125+manual+clutch

Almost caught me out; but they did in fact have a full manual model, the "Z".

See ad below and try not to get epilepsy...

ban_wavez.gif

• Like 2

Almost caught me out; but they did in fact have a full manual model, the "Z".

See ad below and try not to get epilepsy...

ban_wavez.gif

Have to confess that in fact I don't know that much about small bikes. Lol. But yr correct. A rotary clutch? Interestingly they have put in on their lowest spec model it seems.

Have to confess that in fact I don't know that much about small bikes. Lol. But yr correct. A rotary clutch? Interestingly they have put in on their lowest spec model it seems.

Ever buy a car in Thailand?

Try to get ABS/traction control/airbags/leather seats/etc. with a manual transmission.

Most (Japanese) sporty cars have that set up. Clutch=sport/speed.

If I get what you're trying to say.

With the exception of the >2M baht sports cars, only the most basic models have manual transmissions. You want a nice car that happens to be manual? Tough luck...buy a BMW (IIRC even they restrict the manual transmissions) WRX or BRZ/GT 86.

With the exception of the >2M baht sports cars, only the most basic models have manual transmissions. You want a nice car that happens to be manual? Tough luck...buy a BMW (IIRC even they restrict the manual transmissions) WRX or BRZ/GT 86.
Ok. But we were talking about bikes and clutches. I was at least expecting a clutch on the highest spec Wave. Had a Sonic spec Wave kind of bike in mind.

Ok. But we were talking about bikes and clutches. I was at least expecting a clutch on the highest spec Wave. Had a Sonic spec Wave kind of bike in mind.

Good copy.

The best you can do now-a-days is get an MSX 125...but that's not an underbone like a Wave.

Interesting thing is that the MSX was so popular that Kawasaki ended up introducing a KSR (which Honda made the MSX to steal sales from) with a clutch.

Caught me out there D_B; the AT automatic does not require foot shifting. 5 5

The RS has a manual clutch?

You decide:

post-174911-0-33123800-1424109333_thumb.

In 2006 Spark135 had a Limited Edition w/ manual clutch.

Rare, I've seen only one.

Very fun to ride.

The Wave clutch was being totally sarcastic - why I quoted the OP wanting a manual clutch and everybody saying buy a Wave.

Caught me out there D_B; the AT automatic does not require foot shifting. 5 5

The RS has a manual clutch?

You decide:

attachicon.gifwave rs.png

In 2006 Spark135 had a Limited Edition w/ manual clutch.

Rare, I've seen only one.

Very fun to ride.

My bad. But please note the ? mark. I corrected later with the "Z" model.

That's cool about the "Z", I wasn't aware they had made one with a clutch.

I don't think it's available any more though, is it?

As a clutch lover, I do like the looks of that Yamaha Exciter 150 (lame name aside). Although I'm not really in the market for another underbone as my Wave 125 will probably last me a good decade...

True...i had a wave Z 110 with a manual clutch, much more economic than the same model with auto...little faster too,

Kicking myself at the moment as i bought it 9 years ago brand new with plate and insurance for 28k bht,

Few weeks ago i felt sorry for a friends daughter (tom) having problems to get to uni, i had already taken her to get a licence as she was riding without on her mothers fino which does,nt even have a book, she was getting stress with the bib, as she has no money they had threatened to take it of her,

I warned her look after it and wear a helmet always, seen her the other day riding flat out overtaking everything with a dee on the back and of course no helmets, also noticed the headlamp glass is smashedsad.png

Edited by tingtongfarang

True...i had a wave Z 110 with a manual clutch, much more economic than the same model with auto...little faster too,

Kicking myself at the moment as i bought it 9 years ago brand new with plate and insurance for 28k bht,

Few weeks ago i felt sorry for a friends daughter (tom) having problems to get to uni, i had already taken her to get a licence as she was riding without on her mothers fino which does,nt even have a book, she was getting stress with the bib, as she has no money they had threatened to take it of her,

I warned her look after it and wear a helmet always, seen her the other day riding flat out overtaking everything with a dee on the back and of course no helmets, also noticed the headlamp glass is smashedsad.png

I have to add that the Z model was a fantastic wave, it never broke down or missed a beat regardless of what fuel it got, i did regular oil changes, tires got changed when needed...they got worn out before getting old, brake pads and shoes only needed to be changed one time as it was so easy to use engine braking, never needed a new battery in 9 years, no electric foot,

Best of all when people asked to use it mostly i did,nt have to say no, often they would look for the start button then realise it was manual and just decide against it,

The only mods i did was to go down 1 tooth on the rear sprocket, standard it always felt like it needed it unless 2 up with a heavy passenger, and beefier shocks on the back when the standard ones got bouncy after 5 years,

Edited by tingtongfarang

Ever buy a car in Thailand?

Try to get ABS/traction control/airbags/leather seats/etc. with a manual transmission.

Nicky: rotary clutch; never heard of that before.

d_b:

Yes.

My Thai made Honda car has manual tranny & airbags.

I bought a 2nd-hand bike for the GF's family to use.

They agreed to wear helmets and not drink and drive, or else.

Drunk-driving, sans helmets, with children aboard, led to me to taking it back 2 weeks later.

Walking is good exercise.

Edited by papa al