Capture of Sombat was 'accidental'

Lite Beer

ANTI-COUP LEADER
Capture of Sombat was 'accidental'
The Nation

30235700-01_big.jpg

Sombat

BANGKOK: -- The arrest of leading anti-coup campaigner Sombat Boonngam-anong on Thursday night was accidental and came from a joint police-military raid on a house in Chon Buri suspected of operating a website insulting the monarchy and inciting violence.

A source involved in the arrest said police, military and National Intelligence Agency (NIA) officials worked together to locate the house in Phan Thong district on the eastern seaboard before the raid was made.

Sombat was found inside the house during the raid by police and soldiers. The red-shirt activist had spearheaded an online campaign to stage illegal rallies against the military's seizure of power.

A senior police officer in Phan Thong shares the same family name as a red-shirt.

Other sources said yesterday that Sombat's arrest came after authorities tracked suspected Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, but they did not clarify whether he was the intended target.

"We have a team who tracked him through the Internet," Army spokeswoman Sirichan Ngathong was quoted as saying by Agence France-Presse.

Earlier news reports quoted an adviser to Police Maj General Pisit Pao-in, permanent secretary of Information, Communications and Technology, as saying that the NIA had played a part in arresting Sombat by tracing his IP address. But NIA director Suwaphan Tanyuvardhana yesterday denied the agency was involved.

Just one day after the May 22 coup, Sombat was summoned to report to the ruling junta. He refused to turn himself in but instead started an anti-coup campaign through social media.

"I do not accept the power of the coup-makers," he said on Facebook.

But on Thursday night, he last post said: "I have been arrested."

Colonel Winthai Suvari, spokesman for the junta, said it was likely Sombat would be detained for about a week before he is handed over to a military court.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-07

The arrest of leading anti-coup campaigner Sombat Boonngam-anong on Thursday night was accidental and came from a joint police-military raid on a house in Chon Buri suspected of operating a website insulting the monarchy and inciting violence.

Not so surprising then that Sombat was also found at this house.

Sure from his point of view it was a huge accident.

Accident or not, it's still a success in getting another violent douchebag sorted out. wink.png

If I'm not mistaken, he was calling for non-violent protest.

Violent---non-violent, he ran his mouth once too often...............going down.

• Like 2

Just another smart A

..............................S

..............................S who thinks he has the right to create problems which effect ordinary people and destabilize the wider community/country.

• Like 1

Accident or not, it's still a success in getting another violent douchebag sorted out. wink.png

Agree and that was what set him apart from the UDD / other Red hard liners. Congrats to the Army in learning to play Facebook cat and mouse. Khun Sombat struggled to realise he was always only the mouse.

"Catch me if you can"

His hubris got him caught. Some posters on this forum, who were attributing all sorts of wonderful traits to him, will now know where to send the beers they wanted to buy him. This guy has his photo taken with Ko Tee where both are flashing handguns. He then goes on the run and taunts the NCPO. He is proof that people can be intelligent without being smart. I hope that, during his week in detention, the army can impress on him his responsibility to follow the law.

It's a common Red Shirt attribute that they only follow laws if they like them or when they like them. One may not like a particular law; in this case it is 'martial law', but it is still the law, and those that enforce it have the power. He sets a bad example for others when he openly flaunts the law. People like him are extending the time the military will be in power.

I think you are mistaken, it was not him on that photo, also he never advocated violence, no need to make things up.

It will do him a lot of good. He started acting like a spoiled brat. Too much junk food. All those McDonalds and KFC meals. Brown rice and hard work will get him back into shape. Send him to work in rice fields. Let him and others contribute to the part of society they claim to represent in a meaningful way.

I am by no means a fan of his, but think he's actually done more meaningful community related work than many other Thai politicians.

• Like 1

Actually he is one of the good guys, a true democracy activist unlike many of the other red shirt leaders. He split his group from the UDD after Thaksin attempted his amnesty and the UDD did nothing.

He was even attmpting to set up a political party. I hope he gets out soon and they don't give him too hard a time.

• Like 1

Violent---non-violent, he ran his mouth once too often...............going down.

going down..mmm he sure will once hes locked up..w00t.gif

"Catch me if you can"

His hubris got him caught. Some posters on this forum, who were attributing all sorts of wonderful traits to him, will now know where to send the beers they wanted to buy him. This guy has his photo taken with Ko Tee where both are flashing handguns. He then goes on the run and taunts the NCPO. He is proof that people can be intelligent without being smart. I hope that, during his week in detention, the army can impress on him his responsibility to follow the law.

It's a common Red Shirt attribute that they only follow laws if they like them or when they like them. One may not like a particular law; in this case it is 'martial law', but it is still the law, and those that enforce it have the power. He sets a bad example for others when he openly flaunts the law. People like him are extending the time the military will be in power.

Actually that's not him in the photo with Ko Tee. The captions were misleading, and if you look again you can see that those were two different persons.

"Catch me if you can"

Actually that's not him in the photo with Ko Tee. The captions were misleading, and if you look again you can see that those were two different persons.

Then I was misled. The quality of he photo is not the best and I haven't seen many photos of Mr. Sombat. Take out the line where I say he was associating with Ko Tee and brandishing a handgun and I stand behind my post. Thanks for the further corroboration of that not being Mr. Sombat in the photo.

I posted this once before and am posting it again. It's Sombat's pre-recorded message to be played in case he got arrested. I'm not persuading anyone to like or dislike him, agree or disagree, just adding something factual to this discussion. You can decide for yourself whether or not these are the rantings of a violent, dangerous criminal.

http://t.co/Ltip3eh4d1

• Like 1