New Bike Choice - Suggestions

soihok

Not in Thailand, but in Singapore.

Looks as if I will be moving back to Singapore later this year for a new job, so this gives me the opportunity to buy a bike for getting to work to as well as getting around for other stuff ........biggrin.png

Been about 2 years in KL now, without a bike, the last one was a 2009 Street Triple R (again in Singapore).

I would only be commuting again (like a mad man) covering about 20KM a day. I am kind of stuck between these 3:-

Street Triple R = tried and tested, awesome (2014 under slung exhaust), would prefer to buy used price would be over SG$20K

MT-09 = maybe a bit big for tripping about Singapore (saying that I used a ride a V-Max there for 8 years) , but seems to be the bike of choice right now, would probably have to be new at SG$21 K (520,000 Baht + COE = 66,000 Baht).

KTM690 SMC R 2014 = a bit rare so would probably have to new at about SG$22K (560,000 Baht + COE). Sounds like a barking mad bike though.

Wouldn't it be nice to buy all three?

Afraid that can't happen as I am not a rich man or playboy (ho ho, in my dreams.....sorry what was that love?).

Problem is with new bikes is that you get hammered by depreciation upon selling, not interested in a SportsBike, not suited to city life much.

Any thoughts?

Not sure about that, but you would probably get hit by import duty and the hassle of registering it and applying for a COE.

It may not be possible to do this with used cars/bikes as the country has strict quotas for the amount of vehicles on its roads (which are usually packed by the way). Hence, the beauty of motorcycling.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/owning-a-vehicle/vehicle-quota-system/certificate-of-entitlement-coe.html

Oohh, just checked and the present quota is at SG$4K = about 100K Baht. Blood and sand (this a ten year tax on the vehicle itself to legalise it for road use).

http://app.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=23b01a8f-234f-4483-a016-c654ec9dce3d

Some interesting stuff on here from Singapore Bikers.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/index.php

Don't know about the import duty for bikes in Singapore but a Ducati Monster 796 is 26,900 SGD = 670,000 THB

You can buy a Thai made Ducati 796 (Ducati Corse Stripe) for 449,500 THB = 17,320 SGD

http://www.ducati.com.sg/bikes/price_list.html

http://www.ducatithailand.com/bikes/monster/796_corse_stripe/index.do

It's easy to drive back and forth to Malaysia for the weekend.

• Like 1

MT-07 could be a possibility, had some nice reports.

Ducati, never had one but there is always a first time. I am being drawn towards the KTM though.

• Like 1

Just received an email from the only KTM supplier in Singapore, price is 22K + COE 4K + others + tax, with insurance = about Baht 725K

Also just had a quote for new Street Triple (not R) with ABS = 19.5K SG$.

Its the COE that is the bummer at 4K SD$ or 100K Baht.

Just received an email from the only KTM supplier in Singapore, price is 22K + COE 4K + others + tax, with insurance = about Baht 725K

Also just had a quote for new Street Triple (not R) with ABS = 19.5K SG$.

Its the COE that is the bummer at 4K SD$ or 100K Baht.

Last I saw ( 2013 prices ) here in Thailand the 690 Duke was 678,900 baht

The R model was 748,900 Baht

I'm very interested in the 690 Enduro, and I've read several recent reviews for it and the SMC- it might not be the most comfortable commuter, but it's a great bike.

Comfort ain't high on the list, more of a mad and involving experience that is required thumbsup.gif

MT-07 could be a possibility, had some nice reports.

Ducati, never had one but there is always a first time. I am being drawn towards the KTM though.

KTM's are great but watch out for the Indian made ones. I expect you would get 20 lashes for riding a KTM 1290 SuperDuke in SG

Ducati 796 is a great bike it's air-cooled but runs very cool and if you drive one down from Thailand don't see why you can't use it there. Also check out the prices of Honda, Kawa etc. compared to SG.

Super Duke R there is 34K SG$ +COE 4k + tax and insurance and others so should be at least 40K on the road or 1.25 Million Baht.

Same official price as Thailand, it's a beast. Give a Ducati Monster 796 ABS a test drive. Great bike for SG. The KTM 690 I believe is a single cylinder whereas the Duc is a V-Twin.

• Like 1

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/trad/imp/Importation+of+Motor+Vehicles.htm 12% import duty plus 7% GST

The Ducati Singapore website quotes $26,900 for a Monster 796 ABS on the road so the difference importing bike from Thailand is going to be negligible.

But you are allowed to drive in SG for 14 days using a foreign vehicle http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/driving-in-and-out-of-singapore/vehicle-entry-permit-vep-fees-and-toll-charge.html

• Like 1

STOP PRESS!

Just learned that my new employer is to purchase Kawasaki Tunnel Boring Machines for the new job.

Well I never, should I show support and follow suit with the bike?

Considering that the cost of a bike against a TBM is like buying a washing machine in a 6 bedroom mansion, no one would care anyway.

Funny old game.

STOP PRESS!

Just learned that my new employer is to purchase Kawasaki Tunnel Boring Machines for the new job.

Well I never, should I show support and follow suit with the bike?

Considering that the cost of a bike against a TBM is like buying a washing machine in a 6 bedroom mansion, no one would care anyway.

Funny old game.

Get you boss to negotiate a Z1000 into the deal!

Had a good look at a 2014 Z1000 at the Sepang circuit yesterday - very nice. Not a good idea for the pillion though (extremely small seat).

What are you talking about it's plenty big enough for a clitoris.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good look at a 2014 Z1000 at the Sepang circuit yesterday - very nice. Not a good idea for the pillion though (extremely small seat).

What are you talking about it's plenty big enough for a clitoris.

Good that means that Ladyboys don't fit on.

Just been back in Singapore and seen and heard an MT-09 on the road.

This makes my mind up.

Now I have a new job to return to in Singapore I will (at some point) buy an MT-09 wub.png

Excellent choice- that's definitely a fun bike and will suit your commuter needs as well.

• Like 1

KTM 690 SMC R is the perfectly urban brawler!

It's fast, light, economical, super easy to maneuver, easy to park, long service intervals (10,000km) and it's actually comfy.

Have toured 4,000kms in northen Thailand!

Heavy traffic becomes fun! Instant acceleration. Decent top end 190kmh. 160kmh on the highways easy.

The KTM is a cracker! Give it a try.

• Like 1

Just been back in Singapore and seen and heard an MT-09 on the road.

This makes my mind up.

Now I have a new job to return to in Singapore I will (at some point) buy an MT-09 wub.png

Nice choice! I love mine. It's not perfect but the overall fun factor is right up there and it's an easy commuter too. Enjoy.

• Like 1