Mozilla Memory Monster

dive_mistress

Mozilla memorry usage increases and increases by the minute. I changed the about:config (something like that) weeks ago but it really seems to slow down my computer. What can I do ? I heard about "memory leaks" , how can i fix this in a not to complicated way?

What is a normal amount of memory usage?

Mine was up to 100kb last night.

Thanks

Mozilla memorry usage increases and increases by the minute. I changed the about:config (something like that) weeks ago but it really seems to slow down my computer. What can I do ? I heard about "memory leaks" , how can i fix this in a not to complicated way?

Thanks

Hi , I'm pretty sure you mean 100MB.

If you have mutliple tabs open with graphic intensive sites, that's normal. Poorly written extensions can be memory hogs as well.

There's a good article here with some suggestions.

Reducing Memory usage - Firefox

Don't suppose you can tell us what you changed in About:Config?

There is nothing you can do yourself about a memory leak, aside from disabling that functionality (which may or may not be possible). If the memory goes up while Mozilla is idle (you aren't browsing), that is a good indication of a memory leak.

hi'

never had any problem with it, just run Firetune to set it up without any risk to make a silly mistake and then check how many extensions you have that you don't use ...

could be smart to unsintall it, save bookmarks before ... )

they are in docs and settings/app data/firefox or mozilla{depends which one you use}/profile/abcdef1234/bookmarks.html :o

once uninstall, delete all program files folder and doca nd setting as well.

reinstall, cleanly, and add only the extensions that you use :D

perso, I have only one : noscript.... enough :D

francois

Oh I changed the about config thing that was recomended somewhere on this forum. Nothing I came up with myself. :o

Thanks for the tips. By the way I have learned the hard way to save my book marks. I usually just go to ..manage bookmarks .>>> Export >> and save as an html. Easy to edit them with an editor as well. :D

I love all my extensions!! Could be the problem though. I will get rid of the ones I dont use. Thank you.

Hi,

My Firefox is using 85-90 MB right now out of the 2 GB I have installed - seems like a reasonable amount to me. "Memory leak" generally implies a leak that uses ever increasing amounts of memory until you run out or crash.

For backups, I'd like to suggest MozBackup. Although there is a disclaimer on that functionality, it also backs up externsions, and does work with all of mine.

Peter

Thanks