Police to launch new campaign against traffic law violators

Lite Beer

I am yet to see how the Police mounting a campaign against bike riders saves the lives of the riders. Yes, it raises revenue, but only the rider is in control of their riding 'destiny'. I will make my own decisions as to how fast I will ride and I (not you) will wear the consequences, even if this means injury etc. This is my RIGHT as a biker. I will fight for this here just as I did back in the penal colony (Australia). Thailand offers one of the few remaining 'free zones' where we can enjoy the experience of riding without being encumbered by the need to constantly check our speed, look out for speed cameras, in other words do everything except concentrate on the real task at hand i.e. riding with due regard for the circumstances.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must admit...since the military has taken over...they are trying to put a new face on politics...policing the streets...and the demeanor of the police...kudos to the military...

• Like 1

I'm guessing this replaces the stern enforcement they introduced so loudly in March,

Notice that all the enforcement "infractions" detailed by the RTP adviser are revenue generating situations.

Nothing mentioned about safety for pedestrians primarily and secondarily for all motorists. TIT.

A bit of a different tone this time (we live in hope). It will be intended to ease traffic jams & congestion in BKK.

Double and treble parking outside shops, parking at random, cutting across all lanes as the lights turn green, etc, etc.

We'll know by Tuesday if it's serious.

Depends on what you mean by faulty lights, if you are driving along the road at night, can you tell if one of your back light or brake light fails? That happened to me back in Scotland, I told the two cops straight that they are not booking me as I did not know one of my back light bulbs conked out. They just let me go.

I suspect they were using the conked out light bulb as an excuse to see if I had been drinking, and when I stood my ground, they knew I wasn't, so they just let me go.

So was one of your back lights out ??

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm guessing this replaces the stern enforcement they introduced so loudly in March,

Didn't we heard this before?

I take it you two are not aware that Thailand has a no nonsense government now.

They might be a tad bit over optimistic in this how ever.

and traffic cops being polite,

Also with all the stupid traffic laws will they have time to train the officers. I liked the one a guy who took the new driving test told me about.

The question is do you have to park with in 30 centimeters or 35 centimeters of the curb?

Won't it be nice having the pavements motorcycle free Monday morning.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does that come under traffic laws.

It would sure be nice. Also get rid of signs that completely block the side walks. While we are at it put in sidewalks all at the same level with out booby traps to trip in.

The Royal Thai Police has to be forbidden to collect money. If they want to fine anybody, they should send the bill to their post address. 50 % of the Thai corruption already in one easy fix.

• Like 1

it looks, like this campaign is going to be in bkk and they don't say what violations they are going to concentrate on.

a campaign should be focused on several the most dangerous/important aspects, otherwise it's counterproductive. Drivers will concentrate on avoiding police rather than changing their habits or even repairing their cars

Perhaps they would consider Samui, the land with the highest fatality rate in the free world, per capita? The families of the tourists who are at risk here would be grateful. So would the Thai families. No more allowing kids to drive bikes, no more tolerance of driving without helmets, no more tolerance of incredibly reckless driving. In other words ask the police to do real police work. Imagine that?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Perhaps they would consider Samui, the land with the highest fatality rate in the free world, per capita? The families of the tourists who are at risk here would be grateful. So would the Thai families. No more allowing kids to drive bikes, no more tolerance of driving without helmets, no more tolerance of incredibly reckless driving. In other words ask the police to do real police work. Imagine that?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good plan in any part of Thailand.

The down side of it is that they would require the tourists in the tourist areas who have never ridden a bike in their life to live up to those standards.

That alone would cut the number of deaths.

Well it looks like the locals are getting that last bit of bad driving in before the crackdown. Just near Tesco on Rama 4 today, one designated turn right lane, three lanes turning right as people as to ignorant or selfish to wait their turn.

It gets better. At the Asok/Rama4 intersection again three lanes turning right where as is supposed to be one. Probably the same reasons as above. Only on this intersection there is an additional hazard to be missed. A MANNED police box.

I will watch the latest crackdown with interest and hope it gets better. Unfortunately based on previous experience it probably will not. Until they get rid of the Thai "me first" problem and the police actually start doing a little bit, nothing will change I think.

Cheers

Thailand most definitely does not need to go down the moronic path of most western countries where traffic law enforcement (revenue raising) supersedes all other forms of real crime prevention, because drivers are soft targets who subsidize government to the tune of millions of dollars each year. What we need is relaxed interpretation of road law based on what is commonly accepted as being reasonable by the people. I am not a child/you are not children and subsequently DO NOT need the powers that be telling me what is good for me. I will decide this! This is called freedom. If you want a draconian police state then return to Australia/USA etc and bask in the false security that government is looking after you. Surrender your freedom in the process, and vacate Thailand, because clearly Thailand is not the place to be.You might have to make a decision.

Celtica,

Why do we have to polarize issues like this? Isn't there a reasonable middle ground between the utter lawlessness that endangers public safety in Thailand and the draconian traffic enforcement of countries like the US???

I'd love to agree with your argument about freedom, I definitely don't need the "benefits" of a nanny state, but I don't think freedom includes being harassed by idiot police who do not even KNOW that law that they are supposed to enforce.

Don't you think that it would be reasonable to have enough traffic law enforcement to ensure that drivers are licensed and have insurance and are properly penalized if they are not?

That drunk drivers are arrested and face legal penalties stiff enough to deter future violations, even if they are some connected Hi-So @$$hole who thinks the law doesn't apply to them because of "who they are".

That fleeing the scene of an injury accident should be a felony crime in its own right and it should be strictly enforced.

That school and public bus drivers, truck drivers, and intercity van drivers have proper training and licensing and that their vehicles are properly maintained?

That helmets are worn on motorcycles and they do not exceed 2 passengers?

That vehicles have working LIGHTS at night, as another poster already mentioned?

I, for one, believe that there is an appropriate level of enforcement that starts with cops at least stopping me for a REAL INFRACTION instead of some bullshit thing they made up just to try to squeeze out a few baht in tea money. It infuriates me to be pulled over for some made up reason when I've done nothing wrong and I'm properly licensed and insured, while I watch scooters go by with 4 people on them, with no helmets, no shoes, and no lights, running red lights, driving on the wrong side of the road, etc... or taxi drivers, or worse, BUSES and vans driving like maniacs... Or some rich &lt;deleted&gt; trying to show off to his girlfriend with his supercar on sukhumvit because his penis is too small and it makes him feel important.

Traffic police launch a crackdown on illegal parking

6-9-2014-1-42-33-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Starting today (Monday) traffic police in Bangkok and its peripherals have launched a crackdown on illegal parking with violating cars facing wheel clamping or being towed away.

Before the launch of the crackdown today, authorities concerned were briefed of the need to get tough with illegal parking on roads as a means to address traffic congestion and to prevent road accidents.

Pol Gen Wuthi Liptapanlop, an advisor of the National Police Office, said that traffic police would take the immediate action against illegal-parked cars by towing them away to the nearest police stations or having the car wheels clamped.

He added that shop houseowners who illegal occupy the footpaths in front of their shops would face a fine of 500 baht.

The slogan of the crackdown is: tow-away, wheel clamp, fine, arrest and polite.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/traffic-police-launch-crackdown-illegal-parking/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-09

Thailand most definitely does not need to go down the moronic path of most western countries where traffic law enforcement (revenue raising) supersedes all other forms of real crime prevention, because drivers are soft targets who subsidize government to the tune of millions of dollars each year. What we need is relaxed interpretation of road law based on what is commonly accepted as being reasonable by the people. I am not a child/you are not children and subsequently DO NOT need the powers that be telling me what is good for me. I will decide this! This is called freedom. If you want a draconian police state then return to Australia/USA etc and bask in the false security that government is looking after you. Surrender your freedom in the process, and vacate Thailand, because clearly Thailand is not the place to be.You might have to make a decision.

Celtica,

Why do we have to polarize issues like this? Isn't there a reasonable middle ground between the utter lawlessness that endangers public safety in Thailand and the draconian traffic enforcement of countries like the US???

I'd love to agree with your argument about freedom, I definitely don't need the "benefits" of a nanny state, but I don't think freedom includes being harassed by idiot police who do not even KNOW that law that they are supposed to enforce.

Don't you think that it would be reasonable to have enough traffic law enforcement to ensure that drivers are licensed and have insurance and are properly penalized if they are not?

That drunk drivers are arrested and face legal penalties stiff enough to deter future violations, even if they are some connected Hi-So @$$hole who thinks the law doesn't apply to them because of "who they are".

That fleeing the scene of an injury accident should be a felony crime in its own right and it should be strictly enforced.

That school and public bus drivers, truck drivers, and intercity van drivers have proper training and licensing and that their vehicles are properly maintained?

That helmets are worn on motorcycles and they do not exceed 2 passengers?

That vehicles have working LIGHTS at night, as another poster already mentioned?

I, for one, believe that there is an appropriate level of enforcement that starts with cops at least stopping me for a REAL INFRACTION instead of some bullshit thing they made up just to try to squeeze out a few baht in tea money. It infuriates me to be pulled over for some made up reason when I've done nothing wrong and I'm properly licensed and insured, while I watch scooters go by with 4 people on them, with no helmets, no shoes, and no lights, running red lights, driving on the wrong side of the road, etc... or taxi drivers, or worse, BUSES and vans driving like maniacs... Or some rich trying to show off to his girlfriend with his supercar on sukhumvit because his penis is too small and it makes him feel important.

I tend to agree with much of what you said. I think a middle ground is ideal. It seems like the biggest problem is the judiciary. I am told even if the police do their jobs correctly, when it gets to court, that most judges get paid off. If the defendant has cash, the prosecutors and the judges get paid off, and the buck stops there. So, without a judiciary that has courage, integrity, and honor, how do you make people pay for their crimes? How do you create a society that is accountable? If you are able to go out onto the road, massacre a mini van full of 9 people with reckless driving, and then when charged, pay off the judges, how is there any justice on that? Why does society tolerate that? Why don't people hold the morally bankrupt judges accountable? Why doesn't the govt. care? It feels as if the system is broken. Yes, I have no interest in being subject to the US traffic laws. The system back there is bordering on being fascist. But, a middle ground of some sort? Has anyone ever been arrested for reckless driving, in the history of this country?

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app