Battery Recommendations For Yamaha Nouvo

I think I need a new battery for my Yamaha Nouvo scooter. It usually won't start using the starter, but does once the engine is warmed up for a few minutes after starting using the kick-start.

I did some battery voltage measurements:

13.39v - measured after ignition off for about 15 minutes

13.09v - ignition on

14.65v - engine started, ticking over

13.70v - engine off, ignition off, but slowly dropping to...

13.10v - after a few minutes.

I think 14.65v on tick-over is good enough to charge the battery - opinions welcomed.

Odd that the battery voltage is worse at the end of the tests - 13.10v - than at the beginning - 13.39v.

But maybe it'll creep up again if I leave it a while.

So I'm after recommendations for a quality battery.

The one fitted is a Yuasa "YTZ5S". It is the second battery I've had in the 5 year old scooter.

I can't remember what the original was - the spec says GTZ5S: 12v 3.5 Ah., which is the same as the Yuasa one now fitted.

I think you are putting too much thought into it.

2 batteries in 5 years sounds pretty good, it's hot here so batteries die fast.

Just take your old battery to any shop and swap it for a new one.

They're all sealed gel cell; so I don't think there's much difference in brands of battery.

Yuasa has a good reputatation but it won't last much longer than a generic brand.

Just get whatever is cheap and expect to replace it in a year or 2.

I went through 4-5 batteries in 5 years because I didn't ride my Nouvo every week.

I think you are putting too much thought into it.

2 batteries in 5 years sounds pretty good, it's hot here so batteries die fast.

Just take your old battery to any shop and swap it for a new one.

They're all sealed gel cell; so I don't think there's much difference in brands of battery.

Yuasa has a good reputatation but it won't last much longer than a generic brand.

Just get whatever is cheap and expect to replace it in a year or 2.

I went through 4-5 batteries in 5 years because I didn't ride my Nouvo every week.

Yes, I think you're right. I change my pick-up battery every 2 years, so it's probably just got old. Plus, I didn't use the bike for about a year and only recently charged up the battery.

Mind you, the bike wouldn't start after that one year "rest" and the battery was turning over the engine for ages - and I tried for several days - before I got the local shop to clean the carburettor. Then it started OK.

Maybe I'll give the battery one more charge before giving up on it. At least I can rely on the kick-starter if it dies on me when I'm out.

Update:

I charged the battery starting from Saturday 7th June. Forgot about it all Sunday until about 8 pm when I stopped charging it. It had got quite hot by then even though the charger was set to the lowest current.

Replaced it in the bike on Monday and it started OK - let the engine warm up so it was at tick-over speed and switched off.

Ditto Tuesday and today. I'll keep doing that until something goes wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes , sounds like battery , but consider getting a "new generation" dry cell sealed gell battery - even a lithium (LI PO) if the price is right.Last much longer , heat and in-frequent use kill batterys.

Didn't know about them!

http://www.atbatt.com/shorai-lfx07l2-bs12-lithium-iron-phosphate-powersports-battery.asp

3,000 baht for a battery? Almost as much as my pick-up battery! biggrin.png

Well , i didnt claim they were cheap ! LOL.I would have thought you could get them cheaper than this - maybe ask in another thread.You could transfer to your next bike , swaping with that one - if a similar bike. EDIT -- YOU CHEAP CHARLIE !!

Edited by nigel jeffrey

Well, I went the cheap Charlie route. 600 baht for a Yuasa YTZ5S. Bike started immediately.

Normal price is 300-400bht fitted.

They had a 400 baht one. The one on the right.

post-35489-0-49670300-1403798394.jpg

I didn't fancy the company name.

Fitted? I have a screwdriver.

post-35489-0-49670300-1403798394_thumb.j

Just bought a new on for my 6 year old Nuovo..B500 from the local dealer.

I'm in Phuket, commonly known as the most expensive and rip-off province in the country. smile.png

Whereabouts is your local dealer, if I may ask?

- just curious about price variations around the country for what ought to be standard prices.

(BTW, Patong has the most expensive KFC in the country, I believe.)

• 11 months later...

One year later and I'm thinking I need a new battery again. sad.png

Fortunately, I went to the local bike/battery guy and he did a few tests and asked a few questions. He reckoned the battery was OK and that I should take it for a long ride to get it charged up and see how it starts then.

So I did that and it seemed to start OK.

The next day I went out to the shops - 5 minutes up the road. Parked it, bought some stuff and tried to start it - tick, tick, tick. Every time I pushed the start button I got a tick noise from the starter solenoid, but no starter motor. About 12 attempts later and it started.

So went back to the battery guy the next day and he got his electrician guy to check it over. It was the starter solenoid that was the problem. Because I use it very rarely and only start it once a week, the starter solenoid contacts get oxidised or corroded and don't give the full power from the battery to the starter motor.

They fitted a new one and it now starts instantly - 800 baht.

So that may have been the problem a year ago, too.