Decent shop for higher grade Audio/Video equipment

moogradod

Does anybody know if there Is any decent shop in Thailand (anywhere) for

1. Audio/Video equipment with consumer grade brands like Pioneer, OPPO, Denon, Sony, Panasonic etc.? I have seen some decent TVs in LoS, but never Homecinema equipment and speakers of middle to upper class, let alone High End. Beamers ? Projection screens ?

2. High End Audio equipment and accessories like cables ?

Thanks for any advice.

Google the brand and add distributors Thailand at the end of your search, that will find the official places to buy from.

eg Denon

Mahajak Development Co., Ltd.46 Mahajak Building, Sukhumvit Soi 3 (Nana-Nua), Klongtoey Nua,
Wattana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand

Tel.: +66 (02) 2256 0020 Fax: +66 (02) 2253 1696

Bose

Thailand
spc.gif Mr. Phaisal Asavasopon
The Asavasopon Company, Ltd.
50-52 Siphya Road
Mahaprudtharam, Bangkok 10500
Tel-1: (66)22346467
Tel-2: (66)22668136
Fax: (66)22375603
Email: Click here to send us an email

Must be the first time I have heard of Pioneer, Sony or Panasonic being mentioned in high end audio equipment.

Go to The Mall Bang Kapi and you will find it littered with the very names you mention.

What equipment are you looking for, amps, speakers or CD players, maybe a Linn turntable?

Try Piyanas.com - they have proper HT demo rooms where you can listen to any combo of gear you want, test projectors etc.

But be warned, the brands you've listed would be considered low-end to them... Well unless by "beamers" you mean B&W not projectors, and I suppose Oppo's more expensive units (which they sell) could be considered mid-end.

They carry it all wink.png

Edited by IMHO

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As for the High End - Non High End confusion (that I have started obviously):

Question 1 was about Consumer Grade equipment. I will bring with me a home theatre installation, but most probably would want some additions and would like to look into projectors as well.

Question 2 was about High End. I started this hobby in the early 1980's with an installation based on a Krell KSA-100 amp and Agogee speakers. I now own a quite pleasing (altough very different) setup that may rival many demos on any High End show. When I bring everything with me to LoS I may need new speaker cables (length !), exchange a player, look into streaming (currently I run strictly digital, but no streaming) etc. Never seen a High End dealer around Bangkok or Korat, though - so I am pleased to hear that they exist.

Will try Piyanas.com and all that you have listed. Hopefully they have posted prices on their sites as well that I may compare.

I hope you read the list pinned at the top of this forum??

Mainly, if not all, in Bangkok.

I posted under general topics first and could not see the list then. I did not even know there was an Audio Forum.

And yes, Pioneer may not be regarded as a High-End brand (same as Denon, Panasonic etc.) I never thought it was and I dont recall saying that.

It is an interesting question though ("What is High End"). I absolutely recommend to read chapter one (titled: "What is High End Audio") of the book "High End Audio" by Robert Harley.

This is an absolutely stunnig text about this subject but it might not contain what you expect. smile.png Believe me this 6 page essay is absolutely marvelous and contains the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

moogradod, if you "began" with a Krell KSA100s and Apogee speakers that is already high end and will compete very closely with modern systems costing 1 million baht up. I know because I've heard that combo. What system are you bringing to Thailand? Different speakers/systems seem to favour the different characteristics of speaker cable brands.

I have no idea how you could be happy with Denon, Marantz and the likes after a system like that, but let us know your budget and room size. I'd definitely recommend Piyanas for mid range equipment and farang-friendly attitudes. I'd stay clear of KS Sons (Paragon, Amarin, Fortune) and the one at the top of MBK. 3rd floor of Amarin is well worth a look...always great little dealers popping up there. Fortune is worth a look (Piyanas have a branch here).

You'd get a lot worse that a good little streaming system for a small room. I own a Krell/Wilson/Wadia/Modwright system, but if moving to a condo in BKK I'd definitely go for some new Elac speakers (or other ribbon tweeters), Aura Premier amp/CD player and Squeezebox Touch for streaming duties.

• 3 weeks later...

You can find many of the major hi-end audio brands in Bangkok.

KS & Sons have been around a long time selling McIntosh & Sonus Faber to name just 2 of their lines.

DECO 2000 sell Lexicon Ayre Boulder & Aerial speakers.

Ayre have just released a 2 channel integrated that sells for $7000 plus tax here in the states.

Piyanas sell PROAC which are very high end speakers.

Then of course in Amarin Wuti sells Krell & Magnepan & Theta.

The guy selling Accuphase & JM Labs Focal moved to MBK.

There is even a Eggleston Works agent in Piyarom.

Virtually any kind of hi- fi can be bought in BKK if you have enough cash.

Edited by snarky66

Actually the shop in Amarin is KS World aka "Everest" in the directory.

They represent Wilson Audio Specialties, Adcom, Audio Research & other brands.

Elpa Shaw used to carry Transparent Audio, a very fine line of cables.

XLO Kimber MIT & Audioquest are also available.

Snarky you know your stuff. What system are you enjoying yourself?

The guy in Piyanas gave me the website of the main second hand hiend but/sell in Thailand...looked a few times then lost it! Any idea what it is?

Hi Carl.

My rig consists of CD Player Cary 306/200 hand carried by a friend from States. Still 120 volt.

Preamp Threshold FET- 10 high level with E power supply.

Amp Threshold SA-4E 100 watt pure class A

Speakers Meadowlark Audio Osprey 3 ways

Cables SYMO balanced. My amp has absolutely huge terminals & the guy I bought it from had the speaker leads made up with real big spades. Symo as well.

I really enjoy the sound. I had a Wadia 16, a Krell MD-1 & A C.E.C. TL-1 I bought from Pordee. Like my current front end the best.

My house is about 2 blocks from the Piyanas main showroom on Suk 101/1. I have posted the brothers names several times on here. Just call that store & ask to speak with them. I'm sure they will be glad to give you the name of the website again.

Does anybody know if there Is any decent shop in Thailand (anywhere) for

1. Audio/Video equipment with consumer grade brands like Pioneer, OPPO, Denon, Sony, Panasonic etc.? I have seen some decent TVs in LoS, but never Homecinema equipment and speakers of middle to upper class, let alone High End. Beamers ? Projection screens ?

2. High End Audio equipment and accessories like cables ?

Thanks for any advice.

Cables are very, very overpriced here. I have purchased cables for $20 on eBay, that I have seen for $200 here. Best to buy them overseas and have them sent here. Even duty on $20 is a lot better than the alternative. Do not give into the gouging.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I'm about to move back to Bkk from Uk next month and I have a lot of spare kg. any recommendations on what to bring over? I'll be leaving my main system in storage in the Uk and looking to start again with a condo-sized system. Not sure what's available second hand in Bkk now, but thinking along the lines of an Arcam Solo and good bookshelf speakers like Neats. Will just stream music from laptop.

Snarky, nice system...I heard that Meadowlarks are excellent. Mine is Wadia 8, Wadia 321 dac, Modwright ls36.5 valve pre, Krell ksa300s, wilson Sophias, squeezebox touch.

I puzzled about something. What is a Beamer? Is that like a Trekkie?

btw Khun Winnai 's main showroom used to be in Discovery Center. Might still be.

Then there was a guy selling Classe in that Mall that used to have Planet Hollywood.

I was told if I wanted to audition the Aerial 20T mk2 with the big Ayre Monoblock's I would need to make an appointment.

My dream system those 4 pieces plus the 10k$ Ayre preamp & the Boulder network CD player hard drive.

Estimated cost 3.0 million WITHOUT cables.

Classe/B&W still have their shop in Gaysorn and also one in Ploenchit Centre. Never have I seen a prospective customer inside them!

There is a new shop in the ever-changing Amarin Plaza showing some Boulder monos with Wilson Alexias. Wonderful!!

There is also a B & W dealer on I think it is the 2nd floor of Times Square. Piyanas are a good bunch of people at 101/1. Bought a number of audio gear from them. Amarin Plaza has pretty much any high end gear you could want. The only place in Bangkok that I could find Magnepan Speakers.