Surprised by their hair cut prices Bangkok?

Hal65

I recently moved from the On Nut area to Asoke. When in On Nut I was surprised to see two haircut places were charging 300 and 200 baht respectively. Now in Asoke, I found 2 places at 280 and 250.

That's actually more expensive than a haircut back home ( I'm a male with short hair and used to pay seven dollars at the local barber).

Am I just visiting the wrong areas of town, or are haircuts really that expensive all over Bangkok?

Since you said 'barber', I assume you are a male. I live on On Nut Road. I pay 70 baht for my hair to be cut. That price was 60 not too long ago, but he had to raise prices due to inflation. I don't often tip in Thailand, but I usually give the guy 10 baht because he does a good job. I've been going to the same guy for 5 years, so he knows me pretty well. I don't know where you are going to get the prices you are getting, but it sounds like a beauty salon or something.

If you have difficult hair I would hope the more expensive shop has trained staff. Doubt it tho - haven't found anyone qualified at international standard for hair style (creative) in LOS yet. Hair diva must therefore take a trip to HK for a haircut.

So if you're in that area now OP, just go to the MRT station across the road to Asoke BTS (the one by Soi Cowboy) and rather than going down 'To Trains' take a left into a small shopping area and after a 30 second walk on the left is a place you pay 100 baht for a trim. Put your note into the machine, get a ticket and wait (not long) for your turn.

Get away from Sukhumvit and the local Thai places will indeed charge about 60 baht as a previous poster said. Never had a bad haircut or experience in one of those places, but like the other guy said, seeking a basic short haircut is what you'd need to be going for.

If you are going to malls that is the problem. I use the electric clippers with #4 spacer, anybody can do that without messing up, so my cost is nothing because I just go to the hair salon schools, they need someone to practice on and men's haircuts are free.

The last time i went in a mall to the barber. The floor was covered in hair, even the chair i had to sit in. When i pointed at the chair they wiped the hairs of for me.

I don't want to have my hair washed, no blowdry, no gel, just cut and go and that was 250.

The only good thing was that i didn't have to wait in a qeueu.

Yes you are visiting the wrong shops, cheapest haircut will be 40 baht, 60 is the average, for 100 baht, I get a haircut, shave, nostrils and ears trimmed as well as my eye brows, 20 baht tip for the barber with a 5 minute neck massage thrown in for good measure.

This is in the non farang area of Bang Kapi.

Same here, Klong Samwa, near Bangkapi.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Crazy. A haircut for the price of a farmers daily income.

Pricelist of my village hairdresser. Nice and clean aircon room.

I give him 10 Baht tip, so 50 total tongue.png

15933454yd.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Where are you from, Africa? A bog standard haircut in the UK costs at least 1000 baht.

Whereas in Bangkok 1000 baht will get you very nice treatment at a salon.

Naa, you can always pay more for goods and services- maybe that gives you bragging rights :)

Regular babrer shops - away from malls and tourists ghettos- can be had for under 100 baht.

100 Bhat on Soi 71 with a lady who is so so talented is what I pay and would go to high price places in Paragon if the talent was better but it's not . Was staying with girl I knew over on 71 and decided to try this lady as her shop always packed and wow what a surprise . She is more talented than the so called superstar cutters I have used in this city with trophies on the wall and cost 10 times the price . Bangkok has so many rare treats if one really investigates . Don't judge just by price here .

What we think we become ...

Edited by Lumbini

Crazy. A haircut for the price of a farmers daily income.

Pricelist of my village hairdresser. Nice and clean aircon room.

I give him 10 Baht tip, so 50 total tongue.png

15933454yd.jpg

฿20 in my village and no tip expected.

Don't know where he learned his trade though as there's no sheep around here.

Still like to put it off till I'm in BKK and can have a professional job for ฿80.

Huai Khwang, 1 min walk form the MRT by Soi 6, they will do a great scissor cut, or clipper for 80THB. Prior to that was using one in the Esplande on the Rachadaspiesk Road, was costing me 400THB........call me Mr Tight

Since you said 'barber', I assume you are a male. I live on On Nut Road. I pay 70 baht for my hair to be cut. That price was 60 not too long ago, but he had to raise prices due to inflation. I don't often tip in Thailand, but I usually give the guy 10 baht because he does a good job. I've been going to the same guy for 5 years, so he knows me pretty well. I don't know where you are going to get the prices you are getting, but it sounds like a beauty salon or something.

I think I might also go to the same place ;)

Near the entrance to On Nut Road in the parade of shops with the food market stalls lining the street in front of them, in between Big C and the corner of On Nut & Sukhumvit, same side of the road as Big C, are 2 barber shops which charge 70 Baht, and were charging 60 Baht last year.

Or you can pay 150 Baht in the hairdressers inside Big C mall, where you get a clean, bright room, music playing, more flirty / pretty staff and your hair washed afterwards. I prefer the 70 Baht places though.

I always go to the one in the underground mall at Sukhumvit MRT.. 100b and the only place I know that vacuums the bristles off instead of blasting them down your shirt. I even let a mop grow just so I can go there each trip.

Where are you from, Africa? A bog standard haircut in the UK costs at least 1000 baht.

Whereas in Bangkok 1000 baht will get you very nice treatment at a salon.

Had me haircut on Saturday in Reading (UK). £7.00 (about 350 baht) plus tip. Grade 2 back and sides nicely cut in leaving a bit of hair on top.

So much competition barbers springing up all over the place here keeping prices down. Mainly eastern Europeans.

I think I might also go to the same place wink.png

Near the entrance to On Nut Road in the parade of shops with the food market stalls lining the street in front of them, in between Big C and the corner of On Nut & Sukhumvit, same side of the road as Big C, are 2 barber shops which charge 70 Baht, and were charging 60 Baht last year.

Or you can pay 150 Baht in the hairdressers inside Big C mall, where you get a clean, bright room, music playing, more flirty / pretty staff and your hair washed afterwards. I prefer the 70 Baht places though.

I know exactly where you are talking about, almost right next door to each other, I used to use the one furthest from Suk Rd, the one with the black and white chess board floor tiles and the horrible red PVC sofa on the RH side as you entered the shop.

If you head just down the road to Prakanaong, right under the bridge beside the market there are plenty of places doing haircuts for 60/80 baht.

• Like 1