NCPO to brief foreign envoys

Lite Beer

NCPO to brief foreign envoys
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Diplomats will be told reasons for coup; security tightened today at five locations

In an apparent attempt to update the international community about the post-coup situation in Thailand, the Foreign Ministry will on Wednesday hold a meeting between junta leaders, foreign ambassadors and Thai envoys based overseas.

Meanwhile, a joint force of police and soldiers from 42 companies (about 4,200 people) will be dispatched today to five locations in Bangkok where anti-coup protesters plan to gather, deputy national police chief General Somyot Poompanmoung said.

The permanent secretary at the Foreign Ministry, Sihasak Phuangketkeow, yesterday said the ministry would invite ambassadors for a discussion with General Prayuth Chan-ocha, leader of the ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), and deputy junta leader General Tanasak Patimapragorn.

The aim is to explain to the diplomatic community why the military needed to seize power on May 22 and detail the NCPO's measures to restore peace in the country, according to Sihasak.

Prayuth is also the Army commander-in-chief and Tanasak, who is in charge the NCPO's security affairs, is the supreme commander of the Armed Forces.

Sihasak said Western countries, particularly the United States, Australia and the European Union, were "especially worried" about the political situation in Thailand.

Sihasak will this week inform the latest political developments to the United Nations Human Rights Council, Foreign Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee said yesterday.

He said the permanent secretary would attend the UN Human Rights Council meeting in Geneva and would use the opportunity to explain to member countries why the NCPO seized power.

Somyot said security forces - 15 companies of police and 27 companies of soldiers - would be stationed today at Victory Monument, Siam Paragon shopping mall, Suvarnabhumi Airport, McDonald's Ratchaprasong outlet, and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. He said the military would devise the operational response to deal with protesters.

Security forces will also be deployed at all BTS train stations and on trains, Somyot said.

He said the authorities would screen out protesters to avoid causing inconvenience to people unrelated to the protest.

In a related development, Cambodia's Ambassador to Thailand You Ay has reaffirmed to the Thai Foreign Ministry that Phnom Penh will not allow anyone to use Cambodia to campaign against the junta, Foreign Ministry spokesman Sek said.

Sek said East Asia Department director-general Damrong Kraikruan had met the Cambodian ambassador over reports that former PM's Office minister and red-shirt leader Jakrapob Penkair had been using Cambodia as a platform for campaigning against the NCPO.

The Cambodian ambassador told Damrong that Phnom Penh would not allow Cambodia to be used as a base to campaign against its neighbours.

On Friday night, Prayuth addressed the country in the weekly programme "Returning Happiness to the People". He said foreign countries needed to be informed that the NCPO was working to create stability for the country following years of political instability and damaging conflict.

He urged the Information and Communications Technology Ministry and the Foreign Ministry to step up efforts to create understanding in the international community towards post-coup Thailand.

Prayuth said there would be no corruption in the development projects overseen by the Armed Forces. He would ensure that procurement projects and the project to refurbish military weapons would be in line with development plans and there would be no corruption.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-08

• Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real nations won't accept their reasons and/or potential shenanigans. It's that simple. You either have elections or you're a dictatorship.

I personally enjoy the peace, and will admit that so far the junta has done a good job and cleaning things up and settling the children down, but please, call it what it is. It's either a democracy, or it's a dictatorship. Even if it's temporary.

We also know that as soon as the military steps down, this madness starts all over again. It's easy to agree with your armed leaders when they have surrounded you and are the only ones holding the guns. It will unfortunately be business as usual sometime in the distant future. In the meantime, if they can back off the media censorship and internet filtering, I think they are doing a good job.

• Like 1

Memo NCPO when you brief the Australian envoy , Explain to him " Why" the Australian Chanel is off air and to newsman Jim Middleton, I thought you would have more sense than to air that UDD interview , Jim , you lowered your colours Thursday night mate. I rest my Case.bah.gif

and at the same time as trying to convince the world they are doing whats required and to understand

Meanwhile, a joint force of police and soldiers from 42 companies (about 4,200 people) will be dispatched today to five locations in Bangkok where anti-coup protesters plan to gather

While having stood by for the past 6 mths and actively encouraged it. Good luck with that campaign

• Like 2

I'm sure that all the ambassadors will attend this meeting, smile, pose for photos, and agree with the dictator --- if they are forced to at gunpoint.

The generals just don't get it. The whole world despises them.

Edited by Thanet

Western Governments like anything that gives the people the right to vote ,they all feel happy and glad and warm inside , never mind if that is all the people get (China) , the US has a set of guide lines that Jon Kerry refers to as democracy , Julie bishop of Australia wouldn't have a clue what democracy was and refers to Webster's dictionary for advice , the point is in-fact there is no hard n fast rule for democracy, PTP never had a clue and used the word Democracy consistently, Thailand had their Thai Democracy and from what I have seen lately , Democracy is improving with each day.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Unfortunately the PR campaign is already lost on foreign governments. They can't invite them to a meeting to explain their actions and at the same time send in over four thousand troops to stamp on any protests .

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Waste of time.

According to Thai officials, foreigners cannot comprehend the complexity and issues unique to Thailand - maybe because the biggest issue(s) cannot be publicly discussed.

Deputy army spokesman Col. Weerachon Sukondhapatipak said the clampdown was necessary because “if you let people talk at the moment, they will talk with emotion, they will be very critical.”

Not to mention the conspiracy being carried out by the foreign media...

"Pol Gen Somyos warned whose who planned to join the protest either voluntarily or involuntarily to think twice that they might be used by foreign media to tarnish the reputation of Thailand. He accused foreign media of harbouring ill-intent against Thailand."

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-police-brace-tomorrows-anti-coup-protest/

People who hear but cannot listen. Coming down from their airconditioned offices on witthayoo road and actually meeting people on the street as well as in the villages that MAINLY (not all) are relieved that the tension of the divide is released. Stay on your thrones, in your limos, in your protected moo baans and report your nonsense back to your home countries.

• Like 2

Real nations won't accept their reasons and/or potential shenanigans. It's that simple. You either have elections or you're a dictatorship.

I personally enjoy the peace, and will admit that so far the junta has done a good job and cleaning things up and settling the children down, but please, call it what it is. It's either a democracy, or it's a dictatorship. Even if it's temporary.

We also know that as soon as the military steps down, this madness starts all over again. It's easy to agree with your armed leaders when they have surrounded you and are the only ones holding the guns. It will unfortunately be business as usual sometime in the distant future. In the meantime, if they can back off the media censorship and internet filtering, I think they are doing a good job.

Quote. " You either have elections or your a dictatorship"

I would like to add we had this combination of Both with the PTP. This is what the main objection to the PTP government was about, they were turning that corner at the time they were kicked out.

The rest of your post is spot on, it was my first line here that I wanted to speak about.

I'm sure that all the ambassadors will attend this meeting, smile, pose for photos, and agree with the dictator --- if they are forced to at gunpoint.

Hateful posting. 4 years a member been in a coma ?? Your last 5 words tells me why you are posting on TVF. Accept the results of your corrupt government, who self destructed.

Can you imagine the worlds ambassadors in Thailand being " forced at gunpoint" grow a pair.

The envoy's will not all the words carefully. J Head could report differently.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

The ambassadors didn't come the last time the army rulers had a meet and greet - they sent their subordinates, basically a diplomatic two finger salute.

Western Governments like anything that gives the people the right to vote ,they all feel happy and glad and warm inside , never mind if that is all the people get (China) , the US has a set of guide lines that Jon Kerry refers to as democracy , Julie bishop of Australia wouldn't have a clue what democracy was and refers to Webster's dictionary for advice , the point is in-fact there is no hard n fast rule for democracy, PTP never had a clue and used the word Democracy consistently, Thailand had their Thai Democracy and from what I have seen lately , Democracy is improving with each day.coffee1.gif

Democracy is improving with each day.coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

tuzki-bunny-emoticon-048.gif

Nobody is likely to listen.

No normal country will condone a military occupation or whatever you want to call it. There are armed military with live ammunition on the streets.

Civil liberties have been curtailed,media heavily censored.

Next will be the interim unelected government,to try to make the situation look better, that will not help international relations either.

This is my third coup in Thailand, the previous 2 and all those that went before all basically ended with the same result, not likely to be any different this time.

Coups are the elites and the militaries alternative to elections.

On a different note I see that the ex top general of Egypt has just been voted president.

Democracy is improving with each day.coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

tuzki-bunny-emoticon-048.gif

Ha. since being elected 3 years ago democracy went over the cliff. Now you complain when we are trying to get it back.w00t.gif

Hateful posting. 4 years a member been in a coma ?? Your last 5 words tells me why you are posting on TVF. Accept the results of your corrupt government, who self destructed.

Can you imagine the worlds ambassadors in Thailand being " forced at gunpoint" grow a pair.

The envoy's will not all the words carefully. J Head could report differently.

Looking at the events of the past few weeks, there are various cases of the junta forcing people to do things at gunpoint. After all, the junta are just a bunch of old career soldiers, so forcing people to do things at gunpoint is all they understand, and it's what they do best.

I didn't understand your statement: "The envoys will not all the words carefully" --- are you referring to the establishment of a dystopian totalitarian society, one in which everyone loves each other, and dissenters are intimidated into shutting up?

Edited by Thanet

The ambassadors didn't come the last time the army rulers had a meet and greet - they sent their subordinates, basically a diplomatic two finger salute.

Members of the Junta are banned from entering Australia, they have been blacklisted so I guess they are not interested in dialog with the generals and they have probably instructed the ambassador not to meet with them also.

• Like 2

Please post a list of "subordinates" that were sent.??? your last six words are immature.

Members of the Junta are banned from entering Australia, they have been blacklisted so I guess they are not interested in dialog with the generals and they have probably instructed the ambassador not to meet with them also.

Chooka -does that still stand ?? and if so back up your words with todays situation.

Why would the army want to be travelling to Aussie land when they are up to the eyeballs cleaning dung up left by PTP.

• Like 1