Overweight, low-IQ kids 'a wake-up call for society'

Lite Beer

So if Thais are drinking more milk, why are IQ's not getting better. Do they have to drink even more? Milk is good for you, but Asian's don't drink a lot of dairy, yet some Asian countries have very high IQ's. Fish is a much better brain food than milk.

The most common brain food is fish. In my home country in the Philippines most parents encourage their children to eat "moringa" it is an excellent brain food because it is a natural source of many of the essential brain nutrients. Moringa increased clarity and mental focus.

Here in Thailand I never see them eating moringa.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Shancloudy

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

The ancient Romans didn't have knowledge of such techniques. Instead, when gorging themselves at a banquet and feeling full, they would stick something down their throat to induce vomiting, so that they could continue eating to experience that great sensory pleasure of the banquet food..
<snip>

Ah, that old piece of utter nonsense is regurgitated (excuse the word) one more time.

It’s been reported as true by legends, textbooks and history teachers who just want to get kids interested in Tacitus. In fact, it might be the only thing you know about eating habits in ancient Rome. But did the average John Doeus actually throw up in a vomitorium during feast times just so he could return to the dinner table for seconds of the roast mutton? The answer is no.

Source: http://www.history.com/news/hungry-history/vomitoriums-fact-or-fiction

I suggest you read all of it.

Of course the average Roman couldn't afford to gorge himself at banquets, and I imagine that only a few extreme gluttons would ever vomit in order to be able to continue eating.

As a matter of fact, most Romans would probably have only one meal a day. Eating 3 meals a day, as most people do nowadays, would have been considered excessive and gluttonous in ancient Rome.

So, let me get this straight, you are now saying that you knew that the legend of the vomitorium was just the entrance/exit to an amphitheatre, but decided to use it in a way that wasn't actually factually correct?

This calls in to question anything else you say.

The problem is the word "vomere" which people seem to apply an English sub-meaning to. It actually means to pour forth.........anything crowds or whatever. The meaning in English like words of Latin origin has become more specific and is used to describe the ejection of stomach contents.

Whether or not Roman elite used features in order to induce "vomiting" the English version is really not a connected matter to the misconnect about a vomitorium. They probably threw up a lot....but not in the vomitoria

Feed them soymilk and watch the katoy population soar.

Erm, why?

Unfermented soybeans are reputedly packed full of oestrogens and progesterones. It actually might explain a lot about the preponderance of gatoeys in LOS. And earlier puberty amongst girls. wink.png

I've come to the conclusion that most are groomed to become ladyboys, as families have seen how much their daughters can make. Cynical, but with a anecdotal evidence from various people I am assuming this is the case!

No they aren't as such. Being gay in thailand isn't as well accepted as some may think - in fat a lot of cultures including Thai are quite anti-gay. a way round this for some is to be a "woman" and for many homosexuals this is a way to live a relatively normal life. Some lBs are transsexuals others are simply tranvestitites and the pressures of family and society are so strong that to many it wouldn't even occur that they are what we in the west call "gay".

Poor diet can affect cognitive development - mistakenly called IQ. unfortunately in most developing countries the first thing people do when they have money is buy food...then lots more food and they give loads to their kids - they feel obliged to.....who can f=refuse someone food when only a generation before they knew of running out of sen the basics and near starvation?

Problem with all this is they still don't differentiate between "good" and "bad" food.

in the west we have gone beyond this into the world of "dieting" a misnomer for eating too much and fad eating (cranberries, gluten free etc...) and it prevailing accepted "wisdom" is that diet ca affect all aspects of your health.......this is of course patent nonsense.

Feed them soymilk and watch the katoy population soar.

Erm, why?

Unfermented soybeans are reputedly packed full of oestrogens and progesterones. It actually might explain a lot about the preponderance of gatoeys in LOS. And earlier puberty amongst girls. wink.png

Utter piffle!

Milk? Sure is good for babies for calcium and bone development but overtime you really should steer away from milk. Why would you want to continuously drink something that turns a 90lb calf into a 1200# adult cow? Soy/rice milks are a healthy alternative.

There are quite a few posts in this thread attempting to demonize milk, but you're going to have to do a lot better than this. It's easy to make something sound like poison if you put a silly non-sequitur next to it. Regard:

Water? Sure it's good for hydration but over time you really should steer away from it. Why would you want to drink something that's used to flush away human waste millions of times a day?

And this nonsense about milk being "made for" or "designed for" some specific purpose is pretty meaningless too. What are chicken eggs "made" for? Should we restrict consumption to only those things that are explicitly "made" for us to eat? Who sets that standard?

Milk is animal fats suspend in water.........like any food consumed in excess it will have a toll on you - as part of a balanced healthy and varied diet it should be fine. The problem is that most people wouldn't recognise a balanced healthy diet if it was handed to them on a plate.

Edited by wilcopops

I would like to see more breast feeding.

In the park ... biggrin.png

Seriously, we have multi-national food companies to thank for the lack of breast-feeding too. The most natural way to feed a child, designed specifically for mammals, and people are brain-washed into thinking it is somehow 'dirty'.

And people fall for it too ... All my children were breast-fed for up to a year (one had to stop at 3 months due to mum having a mammary cyst which curtailed milk flow) and I strongly believe they had the best possible start in life.

"bitty!"

The low IQ can be fixed by a complete revamp of the Thai school system.

The fat part is a tougher fix, that would involve closing down all the 7-11

stores that the Thai kids buy their candy and junk food from.... Course I guess

that would piss off the CP group who owns 7-11... :-)

Of course the average Roman couldn't afford to gorge himself at banquets, and I imagine that only a few extreme gluttons would ever vomit in order to be able to continue eating.

As a matter of fact, most Romans would probably have only one meal a day. Eating 3 meals a day, as most people do nowadays, would have been considered excessive and gluttonous in ancient Rome.

So, let me get this straight, you are now saying that you knew that the legend of the vomitorium was just the entrance/exit to an amphitheatre, but decided to use it in a way that wasn't actually factually correct?

This calls in to question anything else you say.

I'm happy to get you straight. Go back and read my post. Did I ever mention the word 'vomitorium'?

This is what I wrote: "The addition of fructose to most processed foods has an effect on the brain that reduces the brain's sensitivity to its awareness of 'fullness' or satiety, when eating. People can therefore continue eating for the pure sensory pleasure of the tasty food, without experiencing any general sensation that, 'I've eaten enough. I'm full.'

The ancient Romans didn't have knowledge of such techniques. Instead, when gorging themselves at a banquet and feeling full, they would stick something down their throat to induce vomiting, so that they could continue eating to experience that great sensory pleasure of the banquet food."

Now I understand that everything requires interpretation. If I'd thought it likely that anyone reading the above would have inferred that most Romans, as a matter of course, were in the habit of vomiting in order to continue enjoying the taste of food and wine, I would have phrased it differently. My error has been in assuming that the reader, in this case you, would understand immediately that such practices of vomiting would only apply to a few, very rich, and very gluttonous individuals.

There seems to be no doubt that the practice of vomiting in order to continue eating did exist in Ancient Rome at all-day banquets. Here's an extract from the following Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulimia_nervosa

"In ancient Rome, elite society members would vomit in order to "make room" in their stomachs for more food at all day banquets. Emperors Claudius and Vitellius both were gluttonous and obese, and they often resorted to habitual purging."

The modern food industry with the help of widespread advertising and first rate photography that can depict so clearly in close-up, the mouth-watering, delicious appearance of food, is doing its best to sell as much of its product as possible. That's the nature of business.

Many cooks will tell you that the appearance of food is actually the most important aspect because that's what often tempts people to try the food in the first instance. If the taste then matches the delicious appearance, the food manufacturer or cook has a winning product.

In general, the order of concerns tends to be (1) Appearance, (2) Taste (3) Nutritional value. But of course, there are other considerations of cost and convenience that will fit into that order, according to individual circumstances. This is just a general trend which I've observed.

My own order of concerns is (1) Nutritional value, (2) Taste, (3) Appearance. As a consequence, I'm not overweight, I very rarely need to visit a doctor, and am generally very fit and healthy, despite being rather elderly.

Hope I've managed to clarify the situation for you. wink.png

I think this article is a waste...

For some reason we affliate overweight as being stupid... I am an computer programmar, engineer, teacher... and i am overweight and I don't feel my IQ..quite high infact...

Another fact... countries who live around the equator tend to have more high weight then other countries... maybe because of lack of motivation due to the heat... (Mexico, India, (exclude Africa because they are all on poverty levels), Thailand, Malay, Indo..)

Then Low Thai IQ's .... not because of OW..but because the schools are lazy to teach... go sit in a thai classroom with fan rooms and tell me if you have any feeling to learn...not to mention the continual blubbering of the thai teacher who just teaches the same lesson for most of the school career lives... no student interaction, just talk, copy homework... (copying in this country is such an outrage)...(China as well). No punishment for copying... so why do the students need to work hard?

To wake up this country... bring back discipline to the classroom, fire lazy teachers with the pensions, and then when you motivate the student's learning skills then everything else will kick in... but just to speak of it without action... is a pure waste of time.

again everything here said is my observation of this system and my opinion.

iqnationals.png

For the benefit of those who are seriously interested in this issue of increasing obesity levels, I provide the following link to a report of a recent Yale University study into the effects of excess Fructose in our diets.

Here's an extract:

“Increases in fructose consumption have paralleled the increasing prevalence of obesity, and high-fructose diets are thought to promote weight gain and insulin resistance. Fructose ingestion produces smaller increases in circulating satiety hormones compared with glucose ingestion, and central administration of fructose provokes feeding in rodents, whereas centrally administered glucose promotes satiety. Thus, fructose possibly increases food-seeking behavior and increases food intake.”

My previous analogy, making reference to the practice of certain gluttonous Romans vomiting in order to be able to continue enjoying the pleasurable sensation of eating and drinking at banquets, was to illustrate the point that it is difficult to enjoy food when one has a sensation of fullness or satiety.

If one wants to continue enjoying the pleasurable sensation of tasty food, one has to somehow get rid of that sensation of 'fullness'. An extreme measure would be to vomit. Not recommended! I'm sure that sensitive and educated Romans would have deplored such activity.

However, in our modern society there is no need to take such extreme measures as to vomit in order to dispel the sensation of satiety. The excess fructose in our diets does that in a far more benign way, making it so easy for anyone to become a glutton, even the relatively poor.

Had lunch in a Tesco food hall yesterday. At a nearby table sat an overweight boy of about 11 or 12 and a normal sized woman (probably mother). The boy couldn't stuff food into his mouth fast enough. Not only from his plate but his mother's too. Then a man (probably father) arrived and sat down. He too was of normal build. The boy then started to attack father's plate until all three plates were empty. He then grabbed the payment card from the table and ran off. Some minutes later he returned with yet another plate of food which he proceeded to gulp down. The parents just sat and ignored him while he gorged himself. Disgusting. Bad parenting.

OK, OK, Thailand is not that bad on a world scale.

This is what happens when you let LOW IQ people vote.
"5 percent of the population scores above 125 IQ"
Hence the reason stupid politicians are elected by the stupid majority.
Democracies ALWAYS fail, because the majority of the voting public are ignorant.
Even Koko the gorilla has a higher IQ than MOST Africans and Latins.
"Koko has a tested IQ of between 70 and 95 on a human scale" koko "Koko's World"
People with Neanderthal DNA are more intelligent that those without it DOLT.
The four different hominids are (H)omo sapiens, (H)omo neanderthalis, (H)omo erectus and (H)omo habilis.
The four (H)omo sapiens races are (N)egroid, Caucasoid, Mongoloid or Australoid.
The (N)egroid race is the ONLY race with NO Neanderthal DNA. Thus explaining Aisha Harris & the rest of the blacks low IQs. website photius "National IQ Scores - Country Rankings"
"With an average cranial capacity of 1600cc Neanderthal's cranial capacity is known to be notably larger than all races of modern humans on average, indicating that their brain size was at least as large, if not larger. In 2008, a group of scientists produced a study using three-dimensional computer-assisted reconstructions of Neanderthal infants based on fossils found in Russia and Syria. The study indicated that Neanderthal and modern human brains were the same size at birth, but by adulthood, the Neanderthal brain was larger than the modern human brain."
READ photius "National IQ Scores - Country Rankings" That will explain everything
Look where African and Latin countries rank.
READ paulcooijmans "I.Q. and real-life functioning "
50-69 - Mildly ®etarded
70-79 - Borderline®etarded
80-89 - Below average.

We're all adults here. If we grab smokes or alcohol it's our choice. So is the choice of food/diet for us and our kids. Don't ban anything - just think wisely while shopping.

Your obesity or ill-health costs ME money!!! So damn to your "free hoice" - if you aren't going to listen to good advice then the rest of the population will need legislation to stop this unnecessary strain on our healthcare and related expenses. ...and if this is aimed at those unscrupulous companies that profit from this at my expense, so be it.

We're in Thailand, not your healthcare, you aren't entitled.

It is no wonder that people associate (incorrectly) obesity with stupidity when someone posts a comment like this one.

Healthcare is paid for by EVERYONE regardless of where they are - if you are obese, then the extra cost of treating you doesn't just get paid by my taxes - and YES I AM entitled to healthcare in Thailand - but it also goes on my INSURANCE premiums - so thank you very much, your selfish attitude is putting money on the cost of my insurance and the Thai tax payer.

Edited by wilcopops

We're all adults here. If we grab smokes or alcohol it's our choice. So is the choice of food/diet for us and our kids. Don't ban anything - just think wisely while shopping.

Your obesity or ill-health costs ME money!!! So damn to your "free hoice" - if you aren't going to listen to good advice then the rest of the population will need legislation to stop this unnecessary strain on our healthcare and related expenses. ...and if this is aimed at those unscrupulous companies that profit from this at my expense, so be it.

Simple solution, end taxpayer provided healthcare, problem solved.

It doesn't matter if it's the tax payer or private healthcare either way you end up paying either in tax or insurance premiums.....US pays one of the highest percentages of the national income on healthcare and has the worst services in the western world......and just about the worst obesity problem too.

Microbes don't register on the IQ scale but they have the largest biomass on the planet. We can't eat of breathe without them, but they do OK without us.

It is a mistake to look only at IQ for a population. People have procedures evolved in their culture which help them to reproduce in their environment. You have to take the look at everything as a whole to see how a species, or a people, are doing in their "niche". Evolution hasn't happened exclusively from the neck down. An IQ of 90 sounds about right for Thailand. That is no reason to run them down. They have their own way of doing things like any people. The main thing is to ensure that no population gets exploited by any other. We aren't doing too well there..

Simple solution, end taxpayer provided healthcare, problem solved.

It doesn't matter if it's the tax payer or private healthcare either way you end up paying either in tax or insurance premiums.....US pays one of the highest percentages of the national income on healthcare and has the worst services in the western world......and just about the worst obesity problem too.

Simple solution, outlaw insurance, problem solved.

It is no wonder that people associate (incorrectly) obesity with stupidity when someone posts a comment like this one.

Healthcare is paid for by EVERYONE regardless of where they are - if you are obese, then the extra cost of treating you doesn't just get paid by my taxes - and YES I AM entitled to healthcare in Thailand - but it also goes on my INSURANCE premiums - so thank you very much, your selfish attitude is putting money on the cost of my insurance and the Thai tax payer.

I'm 6ft tall and weigh 73Kg, my only health issue is a chipped molar, rooted but not capped.

I'm 6ft tall and weigh 73Kg, my only health issue is a chipped molar, rooted but not capped.

I'd say you also have a comprehension issue

• Like 1