American Man Arrested for Pattaya Murder

alocacoc

If he is guilty, he's not that smart. The alleged murder was March 18 and he didn't "flee the country.

My first thought was, he didn't try to leave the country? It's clearly very suspicious circumstances (if as described), but it would be strange that he would hang around for a good while that way - wouldn't it?

I have to say though - I read about all these horrible crimes on this site, and my friends talk about them too. People stabbed, or this kind of thing..or any suicide here is immediately blamed on whoever the gf was, as if the guy of course was pushed. And that everything is a big 'cover up' because Thais are so this or that.

And, I've lived here 5 years. I've seen wild stuff at times, from ladyboys to very poor people doing all sort of things around my neighborhood. I've never ever felt threatened or like a situation was on the edge of violence somehow. The closest thing to that is my girlfriend used to threaten to pour water on my computer if she didn't get her way about something emotional ('computer go shower!', ha). I can live with that.

I always sort of think that when people have violence troubles in Thailand, in some real way, it's something they bring with them. Because I've seen my share of stuff here, and...no violence or even very hard feelings. Really ever. And when I read people sort of implying that Thais are the violent ones, I question the writer.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 2

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any man who is cowardly enough to lift their hand to a woman deserves to be locked up for a very long time. If found guilty the death sentence would be too lenient.

I am so glad I do not live in your world. There are scum woman, just like there are scum men. Should not both be treated equally?

Yes, equally - and never ever hit either of them for any reason, unless your life was truly and undeniably threatened at that very moment. But that's not what you mean, right? You want to hit people.

Did not or could not flee the country? What was he doing in Udonthani if he wasn't fleeing?

If there was an award for the most stupid comment, this would win !

So.. people in Udon Thani are fleeing the law... I think a lot of people in Udon would be offended by your stupid comment !

Technology...

learn to read. Your comment is stupid. The crime has been committed in Pattaya, the suspect's home was in Pattaya.

Tanlic's question is right: What was he doing in "wherever". Why not stay in Pattaya ? Nothing to do with Udonthani.

He's a suspect...thank God no pointing fingers until proven guilty!

Does this make any sense? Finger pointing means suspect is being accused.

Since when has finger pointing been used after a suspect has been proven guilty?

Two news reports where one said he confessed and other said he did not admit guilt . . . hmmm.

The other part of confessions is that they are often not true! An outfit called the the Innocence Project claims approximately 25% of convicted criminals ultimately exonerated had, in fact, confessed to the crime. And that is just the ones who went to jail. Often the police and courts themselves toss out a confession as the person giving the confession could in no way have done the crime.

It will put you on the stupid list but that's about lit.

If he is guilty, he's not that smart. The alleged murder was March 18 and he didn't "flee the country.

My first thought was, he didn't try to leave the country? It's clearly very suspicious circumstances (if as described), but it would be strange that he would hang around for a good while that way - wouldn't it?

I have to say though - I read about all these horrible crimes on this site, and my friends talk about them too. People stabbed, or this kind of thing..or any suicide here is immediately blamed on whoever the gf was, as if the guy of course was pushed. And that everything is a big 'cover up' because Thais are so this or that.

And, I've lived here 5 years. I've seen wild stuff at times, from ladyboys to very poor people doing all sort of things around my neighborhood. I've never ever felt threatened or like a situation was on the edge of violence somehow. The closest thing to that is my girlfriend used to threaten to pour water on my computer if she didn't get her way about something emotional ('computer go shower!', ha). I can live with that.

I always sort of think that when people have violence troubles in Thailand, in some real way, it's something they bring with them. Because I've seen my share of stuff here, and...no violence or even very hard feelings. Really ever. And when I read people sort of implying that Thais are the violent ones, I question the writer.

Yes, and the fact that Thailand has one of the highest gun murder rates per capita is also due to foreigners bringing aggression with them.

No way it could be those cute, small, brown people with big smiles.

But, you know what? I haven't seen any murders in Thailand myself, so I have to question the statistics. They can't be correct

Any man who is cowardly enough to lift their hand to a woman deserves to be locked up for a very long time. If found guilty the death sentence would be too lenient.

I am so glad I do not live in your world. There are scum woman, just like there are scum men. Should not both be treated equally?

Yes, equally - and never ever hit either of them for any reason, unless your life was truly and undeniably threatened at that very moment. But that's not what you mean, right? You want to hit people.

No, I am not, and never have been, one who wants to go around hitting people. I think hitting people is not the way to go. However, there are circumstances where one must protect ones self, whether you are male or female. It is called "self defense".

• Like 1

he confessed!

If this is correct as an American citizen, go after him under Thai law. Lock him up and do what is needed.

I totally agree with you stkyricesf and if I may send a brief nota bene to the American Embassy who will no doubt try to have this murderer repatriated. In the Thai justice system your Steven Timothy Rowe will not be denied due process but be treated with respect - as is his entitlement under basic human rights.

While detained in Thailand waiting for his day in court, he will not be subjected to any kind of physical, psychological and/or sexual abuses performed by Thai prison staff either. Unlike back in the United States.

You (the U.S. Department of Justice) therefore need to take a leaf out of the Thai justice system's book and not interfere with this matter any further than you already have.

The weed in Thailand must be getting stronger lately.

• Like 2

Did not or could not flee the country? What was he doing in Udonthani if he wasn't fleeing?

So.. people in Udon Thani are fleeing the law... I think a lot of people in Udon would be offended by your stupid comment !

he thought Larn Island was in Udon and spent the last 2 months looking for it his girlfriend and friends that he was supposed to meet there

A post in violation of this forum rule has been removed:

26) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

A reply to that post was removed as well.

Yes, and the fact that Thailand has one of the highest gun murder rates per capita is also due to foreigners bringing aggression with them.

No way it could be those cute, small, brown people with big smiles.

But, you know what? I haven't seen any murders in Thailand myself, so I have to question the statistics. They can't be correct

Ok...let's see: 5 years of experience meeting and having involvements with thousands of people from all walks of life, never one really bad experience at all. Or, an angry guy over the internet who wants to paint Thai people as violent, untrustable 'brown people', who for some reason want to murder him. Which one to go by....decisions decisions.

Edited by John1thru10

If he is guilty, he's not that smart. The alleged murder was March 18 and he didn't "flee the country."

Immigration had already been told to look out for him, so he would have been caught unless he fled across an unmanned border crossing. But then he'd be stuck in the next country. And if he used ATM, etc he could have been traced.

If he is guilty, he's not that smart. The alleged murder was March 18 and he didn't "flee the country."

Immigration had already been told to look out for him, so he would have been caught unless he fled across an unmanned border crossing. But then he'd be stuck in the next country. And if he used ATM, etc he could have been traced.

Basically, any moment where things might even start to get violent in a situation, particularly overseas, get the heck out asap without stopping to discuss anything, and never take another moment to prove how tough you are, or anything like that. No chest beating, no insluting names, nothing. I just am baffled after 5 years or all kinds of things here, how farangs manage to get into these horrible situations with women and relationships. I usually assume that it's the farang, from what I've seen from some of my neighbors over the years. My relationships have always been positive here. So I don't get it.

Edited by John1thru10

Never agree to talk to the police without your lawyer being present. Never "admit" anything involving your "case" to anyone, especially not: the police; the press; a cellmate. The late great trial lawyer Jake Ehrlich always said: NEVER Plead Guilty! Doesn't matter if 50 people "saw" you do whatever you were charged with. That's the value of high quality legal advocacy.

Of course, if you are in the degree of trouble that you need to hire somebody that good, prepare to pay. When asked what his fee was to defend someone in a high profile capital case, he replied, "Everything."

Chok dee, Mr. Rowe.

• Like 1

No, I am not, and never have been, one who wants to go around hitting people. I think hitting people is not the way to go. However, there are circumstances where one must protect ones self, whether you are male or female. It is called "self defense".

Sorry, I didn't realize you were such a tiny guy, that you need to worry about protecting yourself from a 19 year old girl from Pattaya. My mistake.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why jealous on her and not on her boyfriend?

right. and a 49 y/o pervert and a teacher hitting on a 19 y/o? total scum.

You sure it was not the 19 year old hitting on the older man? You say no, that is impossible, OK. I was just asking.

If he killed her though, he should pay with his life after a few years in prison and then the gallows. Just to clarify.

Basically, any moment where things might even start to get violent in a situation, particularly overseas, get the heck out asap without stopping to discuss anything, and never take another moment to prove how tough you are, or anything like that. No chest beating, no insluting names, nothing. I just am baffled after 5 years or all kinds of things here, how farangs manage to get into these horrible situations with women and relationships. I usually assume that it's the farang, from what I've seen from some of my neighbors over the years. My relationships have always been positive here. So I don't get it.

I agree. When I first came here in 1993 on a golf holiday (Hua Hin) I always remember the warning of our tour guide. Essentially.............with the girls, love them and leave them, don't get emotionally tied up. Secondly, if you see a fight between Thai's, men or women, keep out of it and don't be tempted to intervene, as you might find yourself attacked by both parties. It's often about 'face' which you could not understand.

Very sound advice,

• Like 1

Hope they have more evidence then her friends seeing him walk off.

A confession made in a Thai police station isn't worth the paper it was typed up in Thai on.

Edited by 332

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh me, oh my, please tell us more and be clear about it.

Although it is clear that people in Udon Thani are fleeing the law how about the people from Udon Thani, are they double guilty as it is obvious they are fleeing from fleeing the law?

Udon Thani sure sounds like a safe place if you need to flee to someplace but then again.....I am getting confused again.....please fill in the blanks.....

PS: disclaimer, I am not in Udon Thani.

I have never been in Udon Thani.

I never think about Udon Thani or Udon like you insiders say.

Oooops there we go, 'insiders'.

Some troll posts removed also one with links to Bangkok Post which is not allowed by them.

26) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

RIP to the victim, condolences to family and friends. Such a waste - only 19 years...

The case looks pretty much like an open and shut. Thus dogoodering and trying to find excuses for "Whitey" are inappropriate here. And hellyeah, he sure looks like a cold-blooded F#$k and I have no sympathy for him at all. Hope he gets everything he deserves shoved up his butty in Bangkok Hilton.

Edited by catweazle

If you're a decent guy in Thailand, in a real way, then this stuff is not gonna happen. That's the easy part. You just have to be a reasonably honest, well meaning person who isn't just off the boat, who has some actual interest in who people are and what they're facing, who has at least some positive experiences with women in other places first, before landing in Pattaya, and then conduct yourself as such. That's all there is to it. And possibly, just stay out of places like Pattaya, frankly. That's my experience over many years now.

Myself, I don't hit the sex areas at all - but mostly, because every time I do, I actually fall in love with someone who ends up moving in with me for years. 2 times now. And both times were very fun and surprisingly 'normal' experiences. I wasn't conned, or 'taken for everything I had', or anything I couldn't recover from - sometimes things were sort of crazy, but only in ways that I can laugh about looking back now. We just loved each other, and simply wouldn't want anything to be violent or angry.

I just don't get it when I read comments or stories about how Thai women are supposed to be so evil, or these situations that get so out of control, whatever happened in this story.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

Why jealous on her and not on her boyfriend?

right. and a 49 y/o pervert and a teacher hitting on a 19 y/o? total scum.

If that's the case you better jail 99% of farang with TGF, not to mention the expats in The Philippines, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, etc.

Isn't 19 years old considered an adult in nearly every country in the world? Let's give female humans freedom of choice and not just try and reserve that for males.

• Like 1