Short Term Monk for step son -party costs etc?

petejjj

Hi, can someone please assist me with clarifying what is involved with my Thai step son becoming a short term (approx 11 days) monk?

He has just turned 20 years old and lives with my mother in-law in a small village in the Sukhothai province. This is out of town and secluded, so I am the only farang in the village.

My Thai wife, our toddler son and I will be doing the annual trip to visit her family there soon and we will do the monk thing and party etc.

My questions are:

1. What is the steps or process of becoming a monk
  2. Expected donation to the monks at the local Wat – temple
  3. Party costs for approx 100 guest
  4. What is the norm for party, i.e. alcohol, food, tables, band and dancing girls etc?

I’ve read similar posts on here, but costs varied and I couldn’t find much detail on what the monk process is.

Many thanks

-Pete

• Like 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many thanks krisb. My wife is suggesting around THB100k which I think is excess.

Band with dancing girls is approx THB12k.

I recall from our wedding there in 2009, it cost about THB40k for the party, and another THB40k for sin sod.

Many thanks

-Pete

Many thanks Costas2008.

OK understand re ‘face’ and money envelopes back to family. Agree re leave it to wife. I just wanted some idea for budget instead of the usual open cheque book, open wallet policy that normally happens J

Many thanks

-Pete

• Like 1

…I mentioned the words, monk and money should not be in the same sentence. Paying for a party I can understand. Paying for a monk is different story.

I’ve contributed to the local village Wat in the past, as they’ve recently built a new one. I’m happy to assist for that purpose.

I’ve asked for a break down of cost from the family. I will post once I get it J

Many thanks

-Pete

• Like 1

Do yourself a favour and tell the wife you are not paying a penny towards the party. On so many levels its wrong. This is straight out of the "How To Take The P*ss Out of a Farang" handbook.

100,000 baht for a party for an eleven day monk? Seriously - have a good talk to your wife about that. Not a coin.
She's taking the p*ss out of you. Big time.

Agreeing in part ...

"100,000 baht for a party for an eleven day monk? Seriously - have a good talk to your wife about that. Not a coin. She's taking the p*ss out of you. Big time."
My gf's nephew did exacty that.
CIMG6596-1LR_zpse9ac0685.jpg
There was a procession etc, the baht coin toss ... all true.
But Bt 100,000 is simply face.
There is an expectation to provide some sort of celebration and a food/drink reward for the procession ... but Bt 100,000 ... facepalm.gif

David,

Don't forget the OP, is speaking about an 11 day celebration.

Feeding and entertaining all people for 11 days..............

This is the full monty........can cost a lot.

As I mentioned earlier, 100k is excess. Happy to enjoy the party and to cover the expensive of it, but not to have the p*ss taken.

The coin from the pickup truck sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the comments & advice. It’s much appreciated

-P

In brief discussions with family I was told that the following happens:

1. day 1 prepare for party etc, buy monk robe etc.
  2. day 2 go to wat and do the monk thing, i.e. shave head etc
  3. night 2 party with food, drinks, dancing girls and band.
  4. day 11 last day when step son is released, we provide him with new set of clothes

Party - food etc is only first 2 days to my knowledge?

Event still evolving.

Thanks

-P

• Like 1

I attended one such gathering in Wang Nam Khaeo. The pick up thing and music deal was in the morning. But at night, was a big stage, dancing girls and band, I am sure that there were a couple of hundred people there. Chief of Police and some government officials an their entourages.

Might have been around 100,000 baht, that one

• Like 1

I have seen these and a lot depends on how far you want to go, some here have commented "crap" but it really depends on the individual just like wedding ceremonies can vary.

As for the 'party' from my observations the group and girls is the norm, again depends on how many tables you set, each table generally seats 8 people, has a bottle of whiskey and 1ltr coke and 6 soda water on it.

The bill was around 30k for food and drinks.

The band was 6k

The money for wrapping and throwing may be 200 baht coins

Round it up for other bits and bobs and probably about 50k.

Thats my experience in this area and appears to be the standard from the few I have seen and been involved in.

Not too much different (apart from the coin throwing) to a village wedding.

• Like 2

Mania, thanks for the advice. Well said.

Agree re the last paragraph.

Many options as to what is right and what is wrong.

Had a chat to my mate's Thai wife, and she said her brother's monk party etc cost THB 80k 15 years ago and was over the top.

She also said a party for her family with total of 20 guests, 1x pig, drinks and other food, monks to house cost THB 15,000. That was for 1 meal, no music or over the top dancing girls.

thanks

-P

• Like 1

Yeah I think the guys got a little spread out over a couple of posts causing wires to be crossed.

The op's son is doing 11 days. More of a band camp really.

He never mentioned spending 100k.

Costas posted saying up to 100k. Obviously this is a serious move to becoming a full time monk...right Costas?

I think if it were me, I would just go with the flow, spend what you feel comfortable spending for an 11 day stint in the wat.

Sometimes our partners can get a little carried away, this costs more usually. Let's face it, Thais love throwing parties and great parties usually cost a little more.

Me personally, would not let it get over 30k for only 11 days. NO WAY.

This would include a bottle of the best scotch I could find for me.(of course).

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

The main problem with the parties and tables and how many is this, its free foof and drink, so what usually happens is you invite mr & mrs somchai, but they bring the entire family. Its almost impossible to guage how many will turn up, and no one wants to be embarrased with not eniugh seats and or food and drink.

So they tend to go ver the top to compensate

And whatever you do, keep the cases of whiskey out of sight after laying out the tables, or they will be gone in 30 minutes flat! Whats not out on the tables HIDE IT until its called for.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

My thai single sister in law who also lives in Europe. Did it for here son who then still lived in Thailand

We had an great small party with fam and friends. In Europe. She is on welfare . I did not pay a thing. She had not more than a 1000 euro s to spend on a 16 day Holliday and that is including the party for the little fellow. Oke I just remember,, I payed the brother I'm laws the beers

100k. Is way to much

Edited by robin33
  • Like 1

Yeah I think the guys got a little spread out over a couple of posts causing wires to be crossed.

The op's son is doing 11 days. More of a band camp really.

He never mentioned spending 100k.

Costas posted saying up to 100k. Obviously this is a serious move to becoming a full time monk...right Costas?

I think if it were me, I would just go with the flow, spend what you feel comfortable spending for an 11 day stint in the wat.

Sometimes our partners can get a little carried away, this costs more usually. Let's face it, Thais love throwing parties and great parties usually cost a little more.

Me personally, would not let it get over 30k for only 11 days. NO WAY.

This would include a bottle of the best scotch I could find for me.(of course).

Kris, that's what his wife is suggesting......look at post 4.

Don't forget in the parts we live in, you invite 100 people and 1000 turn in.

And don't forget the OP is a farang.

Wife has to show big face to the rest of the village and the surrounding villages.

I suggested up to 100k, because I have come across similar celebrations where these money was spend.

And the fathers were not farangs.

• Like 2

That's handy you mentioned fathers who are not farangs. Is the OP aware that this is the fathers responsibility, not his? If the father is dead, it's the father's families responsibility?

What's the status of the father, OP?

• Like 1

....my step son's paternal father is long gone, i.e. 16+ years ago, and has no connection to step son. Haven't seen him for dust!!

My wife's father, i.e. my father in-law passed away in 2007.

For 50 guests, plus the money for temple - total no more than 30k.

Why on earth are you being asked to pay for it? What about the boy's real father - is he laughing in the bar with his mates?

If you are so gullible to pay this ridiculous amount of cash then you'll be branded the farang idiot for the rest of your life.

This reputation will spread to the neigbouring villages and they'll all be coming to laugh at the farang while drinking his alcohol.

Are you happy with them all getting drunk for a religious festival? When I throw a party, I buy a couple of beers and whisky for the drinkers and if they want to get pissed they can buy their own bloody booze.

What you allow , you condone.

I recently paid 2000 baht for some monks to come and bless my house. My wife is preparing for the 1 year event which I disagree with so she has to do it with her own cash.

Has this stepson ever given you anything apart from disrespect - I thought so.

• Like 2

....my step son's paternal father is long gone, i.e. 16+ years ago, and has no connection to step son. Haven't seen him for dust!!

He'll be back when he hears about your extravagance generosity.

• Like 1

It's still the responsibility of the wider Thai family, in particular the father's family. I don't think you are aware of the cultural importance of this event. If you were not on the scene there would still be a party and the wider family would have contributed. They would gladly have contributed as they would have regarded it as being a meritorious act.

As Neeranam pointed out, 30,000 baht would have been the going figure. I've been talking to people in Isaan and Uttaradit, Phrae areas in the last few minutes. They said that 50,000 baht would be extravagant, 100,000 baht absurd. A years wages for a Thai on a monk party? ridiculous.

Stand to side and watch what's really going on here. You are being victimized for something which has got nothing to do with you. This is a Thai cultural issue, a deep family issue. You are not family and you never will be. Hand this issue back to the family. It's nothing to do with you. You are not the father, and you never will be.

I'm prepared to put money on it that the boy doesn't even know your second name.

• Like 2

It's still the responsibility of the wider Thai family, in particular the father's family. I don't think you are aware of the cultural importance of this event. If you were not on the scene there would still be a party and the wider family would have contributed. They would gladly have contributed as they would have regarded it as being a meritorious act.

As Neeranam pointed out, 30,000 baht would have been the going figure. I've been talking to people in Isaan and Uttaradit, Phrae areas in the last few minutes. They said that 50,000 baht would be extravagant, 100,000 baht absurd. A years wages for a Thai on a monk party? ridiculous.

Stand to side and watch what's really going on here. You are being victimized for something which has got nothing to do with you. This is a Thai cultural issue, a deep family issue. You are not family and you never will be. Hand this issue back to the family. It's nothing to do with you. You are not the father, and you never will be.

I'm prepared to put money on it that the boy doesn't even know your second name.

This one.