What Help Can I Get From My Local Poli'

:o

I am wanting to attempt the impossible to have my fiancee immigrate to Australia after we are married in los at the end of the year. But, I am first going to try and get her here on a visitors visa for her to come here in July.

What help can I expect from seeing my local member of parliament?

I will be back in los in May to assist her in the application.

Should I buy her an open return ticket for her in advance of the application?

Apparently they want proof of travel insurance at the time of the application.

Do I pay her travel insurance for the time I hope to have her visit?

and can I get a refund on the insurance if the visa is declined?

I have known my fiancee for 1 year and have been contemplating the visa question for a long time. Only recently did I discover this site and am very gratefull to find so many people willing to help others in this torturous task.

Even now I feel like my head will pop from the constant worry and stress the prospect of dealing with the Australian embassy in Bangkok has created.

Thanks again to all.

There will be elections come the end of the year so they might be slightly busy. My MP had an Immigration secretary who really did everything, all the MP did was add a monnica. She made representation to embassy on our behalf for the spousal visa application.

We had two tourist visa's refused and had the same CW for both. I kept details of interviews, she made some clangers.

A spousal visa is supposed to take 9 months to process, so dont expect to be granted one on the spot. We applied in November and had a short initial interview, we handed over photos, telephone records, my wage slips etc. and was told our next interview would be in February, bit of a shock. During this time you will have to get Health and Police checks done.

Dont buy a ticket untill you get the visa in case of a refusal.

I applied for medical cover from Aust Unity, activated on her arrival in Oz again no visa no pay, bring the form with you.

I don't know laws down in Oz but an American asking for a tourist visa for a girlfriend when he has plans to marry would send up all kinds of red flags I fear as first thought is that you are attempting to bypass immigrant visa process - get her into your country and marry her - and then do the immigrant visa process in your homeland with her already there. As I say, don't know if that is possible in Oz, but something to think about if it is.

If you did apply for a visa with plans to marry it would certainly influence the CW's descision.

I cant find anything on the DIMA site that says you can't get married and apply for spouse visa while in Oz on a tourist visa, unless it has an 8503 (no futher stay) stamped on it.

The spouse visa can be lodged in Oz by the look of it, but I seem to remember that we were told it had to be lodged overseas.

The prospective spouse visa is the only one that must be lodged overseas.