Thai Police to target gouging by motorcycle taxis

webfact

Police to target gouging by motorcycle taxis
By Coconuts Bangkok

moto.jpg?itok=oCi4xiQ2

BANGKOK: -- Last week's arrest of a motorcycle taxi operator accused of overcharging could be a sign of things to come.

Traffic officials have called on city government and traffic police to crack down on operators who charge too much during peak hours.

Fines of up to THB5,000 are possible under the law.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/06/09/police-target-gouging-motorcycle-taxis

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-06-09

Crackdown on the tuk - tuk mafia ripping the foreigners off with the "" Grand Palace is closed today, but I know a good gem shop" etc etc. ??..... no, of course they'll do sweet F.A. about that, even when it discredits the Grand Palace.

• Like 1

In my locale and in general when I'm in the suburbs I've seldom had a problem. I find them a little more rapacious in central BKK yet given the clear dangers of their profession I don't begrudge them a few baht extra for having to weave in and out of that traffic....

Price fixing leads to shortages. Crackdown on "overcharging" and too few workers will wish to be motorcycle taxi drivers. Or at best too few will wish to take the less profitable trips. See also: regular taxis.

Edited by cocopops

Never usually have a problem with the scooter guys either,,, but about 2 months ago,,, took one from Soi 5, to Cowboy,,, normal is about $40,, same same going back,,, This occasion, there was some, "mafia" type,, standing around the entrance of Cowboy,, he wasn't letting the scooter guys quote you,,, NO,,, HE was doing the "negotiations" for them,,, (they didn't act like they had a choice),,,, I wanted to go back to Soi 5,,, he say's,,, "$200!",,,, I told him to puck off,, and he came after me, raised fist,, Stopped right in front of me,, fist raised,,, I simply laughed,,, walked away,,, lolol,,

Chatuchak is notorious for this. My Thai g/f was told 200 baht to go down the damned street during peak hours. They know you have no other choice unless you want to spend the next 2 hours sitting in traffic.

Edited by l3fty

In my locale and in general when I'm in the suburbs I've seldom had a problem. I find them a little more rapacious in central BKK yet given the clear dangers of their profession I don't begrudge them a few baht extra for having to weave in and out of that traffic....

Weaving in and out is the fun part! I do it all the time and am quite a bit more weavy than they. That's one of the perks of Bangkok gridlock. The trick is to see how fast one can weave without using the brakes, hitting side mirrors or misjudging a closing gap. My vehicle of choice is quite superior to motorbikes for this sport. However, it is definitely not recommended for HeavyDrinkers.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

Price gouging is better left to the appropriate group, ie consumer protection. When gouging is no longer a police endeavor, they can be considered actual police, serving and protecting the interests of all inhabitants of the country.

Chatuchak is notorious for this. My Thai g/f was told 200 baht to go down the damned street during peak hours. They know you have no other choice unless you want to spend the next 2 hours sitting in traffic.

"On Wednesday, an operator working out of the Mo Chit area was arrested for attempting to charge two customers THB 680 for approximately 10-minute rides." - Coconuts Bangkok link in OP

The operator must have been attempting to charge at destination (and with some threat?). I can't believe someone (or even two) would agree to such a high fare in advance. If they did agree, then they should have paid it. In my mind, there is a difference between an over-quote and an over-charge. An over-quote can be refused, whereas an over-charge occurs after the delivery of services at a higher price than originally agreed upon and its payment refusal is problematic.

I get over-quoted often, but over-charged (so far) never - except in the rare case where I did not get a quote in advance - my fault. Of course, unmetered fares should always be established in advance before accepting the quoted rate.

The details are lacking, but if a lower fare had been quoted at the start of the trip and a higher fare was demanded at destination, isn't this some form of extortion? Also, how can law enforcement (for the lack of a better term) really determine in a quote situation if there has been an over-quote and what would be the exact infraction?

Is there a set of motorbike taxi quote/charge guidelines available or is just (as it seems) whatever the traffic will bear?

I believe there should be a distinction between over-quoting and gouging. To me the distinction is that gouging is an over-quote (aka offer) that, from a practical standpoint cannot be refused, but I"m open to other views on this.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ten yearrs ago 5/10 Baht was the norm for motorcyle journeys in BKK, same now is at least 40 and many journeys asing for 100 upwards, Thai or Foreign, they dont discrimnate.

In known tourist areas like Siam Paragon, MBK, Central World Rama 1 (Ratchadamri), the tuk tuks seem to discriminate less and less against Thai or foreign customers.

Really I was hoping this article was going to address Phuket province.

Of course, unmetered fares should always be established in advance before accepting the quoted rate.

That's not always the case with motorbike taxis though, as by asking what the fare should be you're letting on that you're not familiar with the area and you don't know what the correct, standard rate should be, and so the driver may try and give you an inflated price. Motorbike taxis that operate from a specific taxi rank always have set fares to go to various local (and sometimes not so local) destinations, usually pinned up on a board near the main taxi rank (often these price lists will be all written in Thai though). If you're going way out of the neighbourhood, that's when a quoted fare comes into play.

I have to say that motorbike taxis are by and large the most honest of all public transport drivers in Bangkok. I hardly ever get quoted/charged an extortionate rate by one, and I rarely encounter a rude or grumpy driver; something which is far more common with taxi drivers. On quite a few occasions, if I catch a moto taxi who's passing through the area and isn't assigned to one of the nearby taxi ranks, when I've reached my destination he's asked me how much I normally pay for that journey and they always trust and accept the price I reply with.

• Like 1

I am clearly confused this morning.

Thought the headline read, "Motorcycle taxis to target gouging by police"......

I am the same (confused) are they going to take their eyes out so farang have to say left here right there farang say meter say 100Bt tuk tuk driver say ok i trust you ...biggrin.png

• Like 1

Of course, unmetered fares should always be established in advance before accepting the quoted rate.

That's not always the case with motorbike taxis though, as by asking what the fare should be you're letting on that you're not familiar with the area and you don't know what the correct, standard rate should be, and so the driver may try and give you an inflated price. Motorbike taxis that operate from a specific taxi rank always have set fares to go to various local (and sometimes not so local) destinations, usually pinned up on a board near the main taxi rank (often these price lists will be all written in Thai though). If you're going way out of the neighbourhood, that's when a quoted fare comes into play.

I have to say that motorbike taxis are by and large the most honest of all public transport drivers in Bangkok. I hardly ever get quoted/charged an extortionate rate by one, and I rarely encounter a rude or grumpy driver; something which is far more common with taxi drivers. On quite a few occasions, if I catch a moto taxi who's passing through the area and isn't assigned to one of the nearby taxi ranks, when I've reached my destination he's asked me how much I normally pay for that journey and they always trust and accept the price I reply with.

I've never had a bad experience with motorbike taxis either, but I completely eliminated them my transport options years ago along with Tuk-tuks by evolving to using bicycles as my primary short-range transportation (and sometimes long-range on crazy days). I actually have multiple bicycle types for different types of trips - shopping, high-speed commute, bus (foldable), mountains (kidding, but I do own a mountain bike for those days I feel the need to keep up with Bangkok cycling fashion - never). Nowadays it's more often then not a hybrid bicycle/BTS/MRT trip or a medium-range trip - Din Daeng to Sukhumvit, for example.

I find the bus operators to be the most honest ( :-) ) but usually ride them only to the nearest MRT or BTS station. Bus stops are literally only a few seconds walk from my abode.

I've a few notable bad experiences with taxis such as one changing his flat rate quote after I was in the taxi and rolling, having one clear the meter before I could see what has on it (arriving guest) and attempt to overcharge 100 baht, having one attempt to keep the change from 100 baht on a tollway fare, having a whole line of them quote a 200 baht flat rate and refuse to go on meter from Mo Chit to a shopping center and so on.

In general, though, I've had good experiences with taxis, but If I take one these days it's because it is absolutely the only practical alternative or it's time-critical. It certainly would not be for the air conditioning or the potential for scintillating conversation with the driver.

Edited by MaxYakov

I've often had bad experience with tuk tuk drivers in Thailand, But how can it be a crime to charge a high price unless you are deceiving someone?

Who sets the price?? Whats next? Charging clubs that sell beer for 150baht? Or bargirls that charge more than 1000 for Long time?

How can it be illegal to set the price of your services? Nobody is being forced to buy...?

I've often had bad experience with tuk tuk drivers in Thailand, But how can it be a crime to charge a high price unless you are deceiving someone?

Who sets the price?? Whats next? Charging clubs that sell beer for 150baht? Or bargirls that charge more than 1000 for Long time?

How can it be illegal to set the price of your services? Nobody is being forced to buy...?

Who hasn't? It can't, but anything is possible. Negotiated. Who knows? Maybe. 1000 for a long time?! Not in Bangkok. I don't know, but they could find a way. Not yet.

Edited by MaxYakov

The motorbike taxi guys in my soi still charge the same as 10 years ago I've never had any problems with overcharging with any motorsai or taxi guys.

Same here. Usually pay 20-40 thb...most I've ever paid is 60 thb.

I refuse to take tuk tuks in Bangkok because of the gouging by that group.