Train derails in Mae Klong

webfact

Leaves on the track i suspect facepalm.gif Cannot wait until they get

the high speed trains,not that i would ever travel on one.

regards Worgeordie

Like you, I can't wait for the high-speed trains. But I'll definitely be using them. Amazing how some farangs prefer Thailand to stay in the past rather then develop.

Unfortunately, the NCPO is about to announce that they will not be proceeding with any of the HSR projects. They will have to wait until the next govt. They will happen in time given the bipartisan support for the projects (and obviously given money will be made).

The irony is that the HSR line projects were proposed by the previous Democratic government, had it been reelected in 2011 would have started on the Rayong HSR line (first proposed in 1996) by the end of 2011 (realistically early 2012). We'd now be talking about that line opening in 2016 and the ability to get down from inner BKK to the eastern seaboard in less than 1 hr. This line is financially the most sound.

PT wasted about 18 months reviewing the projects and changing their priorities to the two N & NE HSR lines. They then caused further delays by consolidating all transport projects into the 2.2 trillion baht bill. The "can do" PT Transport Minister really didn't do much at all apart from make the courageous yet necessary move to close down the northern section of the chiang mai line for much overdue and urgent repairs.

HSR will come to Thailand eventually but more like the early to mid 2020s rather than the mid this decade. It's similar to the expansion of the metro network in BKK, everything is running 5-10 yrs behind original timetables due to the dysfunctional political decision making environment. We all suffer because of it.

I'd say another 20 or 30 years at least. Maybe longer than that.

Bear in mind that Bangkok didn't even get a mass transit system (the skytrain) until 1999 - decades after most other Asian capital cities.

Too many corrupt vested interests cause plans to be scrapped and rehashed time and time again ...

Edited by Thanet
  • Like 1

Oryx816, on 09 Jun 2014 - 12:10, said:

ratcatcher, on 09 Jun 2014 - 11:37, said:

attachicon.gifmk1.jpgattachicon.gifmk2.jpgattachicon.gifmk3.jpg

A wonderful little area of Thailand that the majority of tourists miss seeing. A world away from HST. Charming. Amazingly few reports of people being killed on the tracks, just a few squashed vegetables.

Well worth a day trip from Wong Wian Yai.

Looks delicious! Is this what is being fed to Thai children?

Of course not. Have you ever been to Thailand? They eat stuff like this:

attachicon.gifsnacks.jpg

You're right! What was I thinking? Thai children are at 7-11 not the railroad farmer's market!

attachicon.gifmk1.jpgattachicon.gifmk2.jpgattachicon.gifmk3.jpg

A wonderful little area of Thailand that the majority of tourists miss seeing. A world away from HST. Charming. Amazingly few reports of people being killed on the tracks, just a few squashed vegetables.

Well worth a day trip from Wong Wian Yai.

Looks delicious! Is this what is being fed to Thai children?

I assume you are referring to the track-side vegetables and fruit. If so, I would think that the adults buying the produce are aware that they come with a liberal coating of brake dust, diesel exhaust residue, and high quality lube grease. nothing that a good wash & rinse in clean water won't remove.

I would be more concerned with Thai children consuming some of the fast foods that the west has introduced into Thailand over the last few decades; fried chicken, pizza, donuts, candies, chips and other quality junk food..

There are only a few trains a day, so the majority of the produce is probably sold with one train at most passing over them. Most produce is sold early morning, and maybe before any trains at all have passed. Also, most produce is off the ground and back from the tracks. I'd guess that less than 5% (maybe less than 1%) is actually near the track. Many uninformed comments appear to be by people that have never been to the market but think they still know what it's like. I'd be more worried about possible pesticides than anything that might come from the trains.

'Many uninformed comments appear to be by people that have never been to the market but think they still know what it's like."

To whom are you directing your negative comments dave?

I have made that trip quite a few times and found it interesting and a step back in time. Not everyone in Thailand wants to live in a world of sanitized supermarkets, soulless malls, hi rises, HST, traffic jams and regulations. Life alongside the tracks continues as it has since the service first started years ago. The same goes for the rural Thailand served by the rather antiquated stopping trains dropping passengers off at every village station.

It obvious what happened here 'the wrong type of vegetables' on the track.

Actually i was thinking how can a vegee make a train derail..but TIT

Yes, this whole thread got off track.

Leaves on the track i suspect facepalm.gif Cannot wait until they get

the high speed trains,not that i would ever travel on one.

regards Worgeordie

Like you, I can't wait for the high-speed trains. But I'll definitely be using them. Amazing how some farangs prefer Thailand to stay in the past rather then develop.

Unfortunately, the NCPO is about to announce that they will not be proceeding with any of the HSR projects. They will have to wait until the next govt. They will happen in time given the bipartisan support for the projects (and obviously given money will be made).

The irony is that the HSR line projects were proposed by the previous Democratic government, had it been reelected in 2011 would have started on the Rayong HSR line (first proposed in 1996) by the end of 2011 (realistically early 2012). We'd now be talking about that line opening in 2016 and the ability to get down from inner BKK to the eastern seaboard in less than 1 hr. This line is financially the most sound.

PT wasted about 18 months reviewing the projects and changing their priorities to the two N & NE HSR lines. They then caused further delays by consolidating all transport projects into the 2.2 trillion baht bill. The "can do" PT Transport Minister really didn't do much at all apart from make the courageous yet necessary move to close down the northern section of the chiang mai line for much overdue and urgent repairs.

HSR will come to Thailand eventually but more like the early to mid 2020s rather than the mid this decade. It's similar to the expansion of the metro network in BKK, everything is running 5-10 yrs behind original timetables due to the dysfunctional political decision making environment. We all suffer because of it.

I'd say another 20 or 30 years at least. Maybe longer than that.

Bear in mind that Bangkok didn't even get a mass transit system (the skytrain) until 1999 - decades after most other Asian capital cities.

Too many corrupt vested interests cause plans to be scrapped and rehashed time and time again ...

The development of BKK's metro system (which should have started in the mid 80s with the cancelled Lavalin project) DID NOT come "decades after most other Asian capital cities". That is patently wrong. Exclude Tokyo & there were basically only 3 metros in asia capitals before the start of the 80s!!! Seoul (74), HK (79), Beijing (77 but really 84), Manila (84) Singapore (87), Taipei (96) & KL only a year before BKK. Many major cities still do not today have metros, think Jakarta (though the MRT finally started construction last year after 6 years of delay), Hanoi, HCM, Mumbai etc.

Most of asia was a backwater metro wise until the 80s & 90s. Unfortunately, everyone is paying the consequences for that and belatedly trying to play catch up (Shanghai has gone from nothing in 94 to having the largest metro network in the world). Yes, Bangkok started a decade late but no where near the "decades" that you mistakenly assert.

Metro expansion in BKK has nothing at all to do with the development of a new HSR lines anymore than extending Kaset-Namawin rd does with building a new $US6 billion Highway to Korat. It is apples and oranges.

In relation to vested interests and the ubiquitous corruption, that will ensure that HSR lines are gradually built much earlier than you suggest (even the military stand to make money from this). If you can see a reason why construction companies, land owners and politicians won't want to make large sums of money on these major infrastructure then pls articulate that. It is no different to any other major project in Thailand.

The common factor in all transport planning - if you can call it that - is a dysfunctional policy framework lacking integration and clear policy coordination. Even the much needed projects such as the Phase 2 & 3 expansion of BKK airport are 5-6 years behind schedule (Phase 2 tender should go out in July). Throw in the fact that the ongoing political turmoil and power struggle since 2006 has created 6 different govts in that time impacting on policy continuity and it is a mess. However, somehow the Thai mess is still able to get things built ....... belatedly.