Convert a Tourist Visa to a Non-B Visa - possible?

A big company have just offered me a job in Thailand. This is good news, but I got myself a Double Entry Tourist Visa 1 week ago.

The company are advising that I leave the country to get a Non-B, they will provide all the supporting paperwork. The company have several farang staff already, so I would not expect any problems if I did things the way they are suggesting.

Is there a way to convert my Tourist Visa to a Non-B without leaving Thailand? Since I just went through all the hassle of getting a new Tourist Visa, I would rather not leave Thailand again if possible.

If you are in Bangkok and the company qualifies you might be able to do it.

Most people have to go out for a non-b.

The work permit will have to be applied for and a approval letter issued by the labor ministry before you can get it.

From Phuket it would be almost as easy to make a trip to Penang for a visa.

The problem with Bangkok is that that don't always do it in one trip. They often do a 15 day under consideration stamp before they do the visa/entry stamp. 

Thanks Ubon - I'm reluctant to leave Thailand again so soon, but perhaps I have no choice.

Has anyone successfully converted a Tourist Visa into a Non-B visa before? I would be interested to hear some real-life examples.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have similar issue. I have just found a job and they are going to give me all the required papers to get my Non B. They told me to go to any embassy out of Thailand to get it. Now I'm on tourist visa which expires on August the 30th. I heard that it is possible to convert my tourist visa into a NON B without leaving Thailand.

Please, can anybody answer this?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, I have similar issue. I have just found a job and they are going to give me all the required papers to get my Non B. They told me to go to any embassy out of Thailand to get it. Now I'm on tourist visa which expires on August the 30th. I heard that it is possible to convert my tourist visa into a NON B without leaving Thailand.

Please, can anybody answer this?

Thanks in advance.

Seems to me it has been fully answered by ubonjoe above, it has not ?

Edited by paz

I was in the same situation last year whilst between employment. I couldn't change Tourist to non-Imm, my company had to pay for me to fly and stay/apply in Singapore for a few days.

PROS = few days in Singapore for sightseeing & shopping.

CONS = hassle & expense of the above- rather than spending XX,000 on this process, why not allow people to change for a 'reasonable' fee paid in Thailand ?

Most people have to go out for a non-b.

Also ubonjoe said :

"The problem with Bangkok is that that don't always do it in one trip. They often do a 15 day under consideration stamp before they do the visa/entry stamp. "

I'm bit confused  :(