Aviation and Thai tourism likely to recover for high season starting in October

webfact

Aviation and tourism likely to recover for high season starting in October

BANGKOK, 9 June 2014 (NNT) The Director General of the Department of Civil Aviation believes that both aviation and tourism in Thailand will largely recover during the upcoming high season starting in October this year.

The Department of Civil Aviation Director General Voradej Harnprasert commented that during the political turmoil from October 2013 – May 2014, and before martial law and the coup d'etat took place, the number of normal service flights had reduced by only 5% while the number of charter flights saw a reduction of more than 5% with some flight cancellations.

Overall the number of incoming passengers decreased by around 10 – 15%%. Among all nationalities, the number of Japanese passengers declined by up to 50%, however, those travelers of Chinese and Russian origin remained at normal numbers partly because it was the off-season period when the number of tourists is always lower.

Relevant agencies are attempting to adjust to and closely monitor the changing situation. Moreover, the number of flights and passengers is strongly expected to return to normal numbers from this October.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-09 footer_n.gif

Believing in something is always a good thing, but it might help if the Director General could share any foundation for his beliefs.

Did he consult a fortune teller?

Or does he have some insight into the things that might change near-term, which would lead to an increase in tourist arrivals?

All the statistics they quoted here point to a decline, there is no factor mentioned that would impact this current set of circumstances favorably, but the Director General "believes" things will recover in October. Is this even newsworthy?

Tomorrow's headline: Eight year old girl in Chiang Mai believes in unicorns, stampede expected in October.

• Like 1

Once foreign governments realise that Thailand is more stable now than it's been for years there's every reason to believe that tourism will pick up again.

Why is that? Are foreign governments now tour operators?

But screw that, I want to hear more about this unicorn thing in Chiang Mai, that's a winner, who needs a panda.

No foreign governments aren't tour operators but they do issue advisories against travel which have a negative effect on tourist traffic in many ways.

As for the unicorn it's all true. It currently makes it's home in a field right next door to our restaurant in Chiang Mai and often pops it's head over the fence when the customers are enjoying their meal. Booking details are available on our website.

PS.... I think he even has a mate. wink.png

bigbamboo you forget one important fact: Thailand is under martial law, everywhere in Thailand.. and the "Non-tour-Operators.." the governments of more then 60 Independent states have given a travel warning about travelling to Thailand. This facts shure will not boost the success for the travel industry.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I wish somebody would tell these Thai government officials, to just shut the F*** Up.

Jeeze. I am not Thai but it is embarassing to read all the stupid comments these officials come out with.

I am not Thai either "but it is embarrassing to read all the stupid comments these" TV poser nay sayers "come out with".

Once foreign governments realise that Thailand is more stable now than it's been for years

Thailand is sitting on a timebomb thats going to explode when a certain event happens.

Wikileaks confirms foreign governnments are very clued up about this.

• Like 1

Once foreign governments realise that Thailand is more stable now than it's been for years there's every reason to believe that tourism will pick up again.

Why is that? Are foreign governments now tour operators?

But screw that, I want to hear more about this unicorn thing in Chiang Mai, that's a winner, who needs a panda.

If there were unicorns here, it might bring more of those "quality" tourists we keep hearing about. I understand they also repel backpackers.

According to Wiki, Thailand hosted 11.6 million visitors in 2004. That number has skyrocketed to 26.7 million for the year ending in 2013.

(Don't shoot the messenger guys...)

A cool 35 million is probably doable for 2015 :)

All joking aside, Thailand really has become over visited, IMHO. It no wonder about the jet ski and tuk tuk non sense, tourists seem to lap it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

According to Wiki, Thailand hosted 11.6 million visitors in 2004. That number has skyrocketed to 26.7 million for the year ending in 2013.

(Don't shoot the messenger guys...)

A cool 35 million is probably doable for 2015 smile.png

All joking aside, Thailand really has become over visited, IMHO. It no wonder about the jet ski and tuk tuk non sense, tourists seem to lap it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

The ten fold increase in Russians in just 5 years wont be surprising to many but really is an incredible increase.

so so, thai tourism likely to recover for high season.....hahaha after the "tat" did it allready now somebody else with the same wishfull thinking or day dreaming. just look on the latest iata travel estimation report for thailand for the next high season than somebody will wake up from this dream. as a consul from austria saying to me yesterday in graz, i guess too this time, with another military dictatorship in a short time after the other before, the tourists have really enough now from thailand. this consul know it very good because he operates a travel agency in thailand and his partner in austria and in germany. .

BANGKOK, 9 June 2014 (NNT) The Director General of the Department of Civil Aviation believes that both aviation and tourism in Thailand will largely recover during the upcoming high season starting in October this year.[/b]

The Department of Civil Aviation Director General Voradej Harnprasert

Where on earth could an opinion like this have come from? What is he basing this on, besides wishful thinking? Does he have any specific info we do not, such as when foreigners will feel comfortable again visiting Thailand? I just spoke to several people in the US, and they are all very scared to visit. Most people assume it is an Egypt style coup. Thailand has done Nothing, as usual, to disseminate info around the world that it is safe here. Nothing. And things will just be honky dory on its own? Wow. What can one say?

Spidermike007

While there are Military on the Streets and the country is under Military Law with Curfews still in place (yes I know a fraction have been lifted in tourist areas) there is NO WAY Tourism will increase especially when the opposition is oppressed right now under threat of arrest should you even question the coup.

When you see on world News seen all over the world that a bunch of poor folks have already been arrested for BEING SILENT and making the 3 finger salute can it get any more ridiculous and oppressive as that.

Yes I think it can, and until that changes Tourists would be well advised to follow their countries TRAVEL WARNINGS which are there for a reason

Edited by DiamondKing

Would be great if Thai Air would start a deeply discounted fare from all destinations to Bangkok starting the first of October. If it was discounted enough all the other airlines would have to match it.

Thai%20AIrways%20A380-thumb-450x303.jpg

Edited by BillyBobThai

Once foreign governments realise that Thailand is more stable now than it's been for years

Thailand is sitting on a timebomb thats going to explode when a certain event happens.

That certainly was the case and that is why it has now been defused.

but that is probably years away, isn't it?

While there are Military on the Streets and the country is under Military Law with Curfews still in place (yes I know a fraction have been lifted in tourist areas) there is NO WAY Tourism will increase especially when the opposition is oppressed right now under threat of arrest should you even question the coup.

When you see on world News seen all over the world that a bunch of poor folks have already been arrested for BEING SILENT and making the 3 finger salute can it get any more ridiculous and oppressive as that.

Yes I think it can, and until that changes Tourists would be well advised to follow their countries TRAVEL WARNINGS which are there for a reason

Jonathan Head, filed a report on the BBC today from his visit to Udon Thani where he interviewed red shirt supporters. They are literally like rabbits in the headlight -stunned and have no idea what to do next

Would be great if Thai Air would start a deeply discounted fare from all destinations to Bangkok starting the first of October. If it was discounted enough all the other airlines would have to match it.

Thai%20AIrways%20A380-thumb-450x303.jpg

Last week when I was in BKK, I went on the Thai airways website and it quoted me 8,925 for me and my daughter full flex fare. I then asked the concierge at the hotel to book it for me as it was not letting me book online for some reason....he called them and I paid 6,000 for both with 100% mileage accrual. So it is worth a try to call.

The flight was half empty....bet they could have flown a couple of unicorns up to CM to draw some tourists... Another opportunity squandered. :)

but that is probably years away, isn't it?

Judging by the timing of the coup and the fact the VIP that fled to the UK is still there I suspect its imminent or perhaps has already happened but been hidden.