Isan Highlights

Cam Khao

Hi guys,

I'll be returning to Thailand at the end of the month, and want to plan a 3-4 week tour of Isan, taking in some of the highlights.

Having lived in Surin for a few years, I know all the local attractions around that area such as Phenom Rung etc. But I don't have much of a clue about the rest of Isan.

So if anyone has any ideas on must see attractions in their local part of Isan, I would be very pleased to hear them, so I can make a list.

Thanks in advance.

Wat Phu Tok (Baan Kum Kaeng Pattana, Moo 6, Na Saeng subdistrict, Si Wilai district. Open daily 6:30am-5pm, closed Apr 10-16 of every year) is perched on a sandstone hill surrounded by dense forest. The temple was founded in 1969 by a revered Buddhist monk, Ajarn Juan, and the most memorable landmark is its very unusual minimalist chedi (or stupa). Once there, make sure you make the pilgrimage to the peak of Phu Tok Noi, a sandstone hill inside the temple grounds. A rickety wooden walkway with seven stops takes you on a heavenly path without the need for hours of meditation. Each stop features a different theme aiming to teach Buddhists all about nirvana. The creepiest exhibit has to be the skeleton of a man who died from cancer standing in a glass case, acting as a gentle reminder that nothing lasts forever. The sixth stop is a whole lot more rewarding, though, offering a panoramic view facing east and over the trees, making it the best spot to capture that Instagram-perfect sunrise.

• Like 2

Make sure your printer has a lot of ink left. It will be a long list........!

Cheers.

Apologies. Was meant as an innocent sarcastic remark. Highlights and Isaan don't mix well. Something even returning Backpackers will gladly confirm.

Cheers.

OP - your topic was covered 6 months ago - here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/678598-where-is-nice-up-in-isaan/

Yes, looking back at that other thread we didn't get around to Udon or Ubon, which both have a few western oriented bars and restaurants. Udon in particular has two little clusters of farang style bars around Day and Night and Nutty Plazas (think I have the names right), plus several others dotted around. It also has the most dreadful ago-go bar that I've ever seen - Wolverine - which is perhaps worth taking one drink in just to say that you saw it. Admittedly there was a close contender in the old Nate Night Plaza in Khon Kaen, but it has long since closed.

Edited by citizen33