Have I caught a virus or some malware?

jack2964

This is going to be a bit lengthy so please bear with me.

I have two windows machines, both on Win7 Home Premium. The first is a Dell laptop running 64bit Win7 and a desktop running 32bit Win7. I have multiple problems with the lappy.

The desktop is running fine without any problems (that I know of). The laptop is behaving strangely. First up, my Chrome browser has suddenly lost all my 'Extensions'. Every time after I shutdown Chrome, all the extensions disappear and I have to go to Chrome store to re-download the missing extensions only to have them go missing after every shutdown. Then, I have Malwarebytes (freebie version) failing to update nor scan. I get a message which says MBAM has stopped working when I attempt to update or scan. And finally the 'Remember Me' option for ThaiVisa Forum sign in doesn't work anymore. Although I tick the option to 'remember me', I need to login every visit.

For MBAM, I have trawled the net for solutions and have followed instructions to 'clean uninstall and reinstall MBAM' to no avail.

Fearing I have caught something, I downloaded Sophos and Kaspersky's virus cleaners and they both ran and declared my laptop as clean.

Also have run CCleaner and Spybot S&D and still no fix.

In the meantime, I have downloaded and installed Opera browser and the extensions work fine.

Anyone has any idea what is going on with my laptop?

Thanks in advance for all help/advice.

Your best bet is to download a Bootable Virus cleaner and burn it to a CD.

Then boot that CD in the misbehaving PC and let it scan. Malware that loads first can have a nasty habit of shutting down security services and anti-malware, and then hiding itself.

The Kaspersky one is here and you can find others with Google.

also try Kaspersky TDSS killer and hitman pro.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/TDSSKiller you will need to put in your email address

http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads/

Do you do windows updates?

That's the one I d/loaded-TDSS and the scan came up clean.

Might try Hitman Pro.

Still d/loading the file Chicog suggested. D/load speeds are very slow lately on TOT WiNet. Nearly an hour and that 385Mbyte file is still going.

Yes, Windows update is on auto. Thanks.

Edited by jack2964

Another alternative is to create an Avast Rescuedisk via an running instance of Avast 2014 ( basic freeware version ) on your computer: http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB114

Note:

"A bootable media will be created with the latest avast definitions. The definitions grow old rather quickly, so it is recommended to create a new Rescue Disk before you use it."

Size of this Avast rescuedisk (.iso) is approx. 250 MB, thus smaller than the Kaspersky Rescuedisk ( so less to download; Avast 2014 will download the LATEST info needed and automatically create the .iso file on your computer ).

Edited by astral
Please do not shout with large font size, Thank you

Viruses are pain, experienced techs have difficulty with removing them and then undoing the damage they caused.

Many techs will just just reload the operating system. Your dell should have a restore partition the that can reload windows for you. Choosing this option WILL ERASE ALL...I REPEAT ALL OF YOUR DATA AND SETTING... ALL OF IT...

https://neosmart.net/wiki/dell-recovery-partition/

Losing the extensions and failing to stay logged on to a website are both signs of (as BuddhistVirus says) of a corrupted user profile.

The Malwarebytes problem is almost certainly unrelated. It might be malware related - something unpleasant trying to stop you from detecting that it's there. Try running one of the online scans to see if it picks up anything.

Maybe corrupted user profile. Try creating a new one.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142059

Not sure I understand this fully being somewhat IT illiterate but like I mentioned, my desktop Chrome browser is working fine with the same user ID and presumably my user profile. The Extensions and Thaivisa Forum login 'remember me' function work as they always have.

Based on the above am I right to say my ID and User profile aren't corrupted on my Dell Lappy?

If you did not download your extensions from the google web store they will be disabled.

http://thenextweb.com/google/2014/05/27/google-starts-blocking-extensions-chrome-web-store-windows-users-disables-installed-ones/

In my initial post I did say I got the Extensions off Chrome store and yet they disappear on Chrome shut down so something else is causing the issue.

The laptop is behaving strangely. First up, my Chrome browser has suddenly lost all my 'Extensions'... the 'Remember Me' option for ThaiVisa Forum sign in doesn't work anymore.

The Extensions and Thaivisa Forum login 'remember me' function work as they always have.

Based on the above am I right to say my ID and User profile aren't corrupted on my Dell Lappy?

Please try and get your story straight.

If you have a problem with extensions disappearing and the browser not remembering your login, then you probably have a corrupt browser profile and need to create a new one.

And if things are working as they always have, then why even bother mentioning them?

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question but I too would be interested to know if there is a way to know if you have a totally "clean" computer ?

Buy a Mac, easiest solution to avoiding viruses...

And anyone that says Macs DO get viruses are correct, but the fact remains that Mac security updates change the way the OS is built therefore viruses and other harmful bots etc are useless against an OS when it doesn't understand how it's made...

FACT :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The laptop is behaving strangely. First up, my Chrome browser has suddenly lost all my 'Extensions'... the 'Remember Me' option for ThaiVisa Forum sign in doesn't work anymore.

The Extensions and Thaivisa Forum login 'remember me' function work as they always have.

Please try and get your story straight.

If you have a problem with extensions disappearing and the browser not remembering your login, then you probably have a corrupt browser profile and need to create a new one.

And if things are working as they always have, then why even bother mentioning them?

I am comparing the Chrome browser on my Desktop...where everything works against my laptop where the issues are. I think I've made that clear right from the start. But I do thank you for your input.

Not sure I understand this fully being somewhat IT illiterate but like I mentioned, my desktop Chrome browser is working fine with the same user ID and presumably my user profile. The Extensions and Thaivisa Forum login 'remember me' function work as they always have.

From google support page.

Exit Google Chrome completely.

Enter the keyboard shortcut Windows key +E to open Windows Explorer.

In the Windows Explorer window that appears enter the following in the address bar.

Windows XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\

Windows Vista/ Windows 7/ Windows 8: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\

Locate the folder called "Default" in the directory window that opens and rename it as "Backup default."

Try opening Google Chrome again. A new "Default" folder is automatically created as you start using the browser.

I am comparing the Chrome browser on my Desktop...where everything works against my laptop where the issues are. I think I've made that clear right from the start. But I do thank you for your input.

Sorry, I misread your posting and jumped to conclusions.

The assumption that just because your profile is OK on the desktop does not mean that your profile is OK on the laptop.

You have a corrupt profile on your laptop. Just do as BuddhistVirus suggests and I'm 99% sure your browser problems will be solved (though you will need to redownload your extensions afterwards).

From google support page.

Exit Google Chrome completely.

Enter the keyboard shortcut Windows key +E to open Windows Explorer.

In the Windows Explorer window that appears enter the following in the address bar.

Windows XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\

Windows Vista/ Windows 7/ Windows 8: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\

Locate the folder called "Default" in the directory window that opens and rename it as "Backup default."

Try opening Google Chrome again. A new "Default" folder is automatically created as you start using the browser.

I'll give this one a go thank you.

Interestingly, I am now on the laptop using Opera browser and it too is not 'remembering me' on Thaivisa forum login.

Sorry, I misread your posting and jumped to conclusions.

The assumption that just because your profile is OK on the desktop does not mean that your profile is OK on the laptop.

You have a corrupt profile on your laptop. Just do as BuddhistVirus suggests and I'm 99% sure your browser problems will be solved (though you will need to redownload your extensions afterwards).

No worries AyG, just one question-if I create a new user profile on the laptop does that mean I end up with 2 Google accounts or do I simply fill in the same personal details as my original account?

Did exactly what Buddhist Virus and AyG suggested and it appears to be a partial fix.

I've got the extensions to not disappear but this forum's 'remember me' still not working.

I'll try the other suggestions later.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Final followup:

The Kaspersky Rescue CD didn't work neither did Hitman Pro.

Being annoyed with Windows, I tried installing dual boot Linux Mint17 and made a fine mess. But it is certainly an option I would be looking at and worthy of a new thread.

In the end, bit the bullet and did a Dell Recovery Partition and all's well again.