Do you trust ? have you changed ?

CharlieH

When I came I was very untrusting and tried to check and verify everything was very worried about anything I had to pay for.

As you gain experience and understand cost and the "people" (I don't mean in a bad way) then you relax more feel clam

When I understood more, I would really get angry and tell them to their face they are scamming me or I would say "hello I can speak Thai

I'm talking to you in Thai"

But now I just laugh joke with them and say hey come on what the real price or bargain them down to a stupid price

then just say ok I'm joking and just pay the right price

So now no I'm not worried

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A laugh.........Went to buy a TV with Mrs.Trans.....Found just the thing at a the right "marked" price............thumbsup.gif

"I will have that"

"Eeeeeeeeer, the price is marked wrong, it should be.....blah blah"

Mrs.Trans said, "They made a mistake on the price"

"Really, well I am not making a mistake, lets gooooooooooo"............laugh.png

Im not a long term resident but it would depend on regulations and reputations of certain countries or areas

for example in Australia, taxis don't rip you off

none of this "no meter" stuff

none of this taking you in the wrong direction

the drivers can lose their license and if audited theyd be in big trouble

the worst that can happen is they take you a slighter long way

if the system were the same in Thailand for example, i would never even consider getting ripped off

same thing here with the shops, usually items have prices on them so need to worry about getting over quoted,

obviously not at local markets etc

Taxis ARE a rip off in Australia compared to Thailand. If if a taxi driver over charges you in Thailand your getting a way better price than in OZ. I can get a taxi from BKK to pattaya for $40-$50 odd. Taking a cab the same distance in Oz would be $250-$300!

You don't have to be paranoid and distrustful to be careful and aware.

$hit bad happens everywhere. Scams happen worldwide. Keep your eyes and mind open.

Anything more than an open eye to badness and being careful can be paranoia.

I'm inclined to trust them Charlie, it is my opinion that the vast majority of Thais are decent and honest people. I could write a book about the honesty and helpfulness I have received from Thai people.

Nice to hear that. I can only say exactly the opposite. (I am saying this as I speak, read and write Thai) Of course I have come across a couple decent people, but not too many.

In general, Thais tend to palter. One thing I have learnt here that they never tell the truth. Not even to their closest relatives.

I find it funny when foreigners call their Thai acquaintences friends. Their way of living or culture doesn't require the sort of friends we got used to in western countries. Soul mates and confidants are rarities here.

I can only say what my experiences have been. Is it possible you have the opposite view because you live in a big town or city, and I live in a small village upcountry? Just trying to figure out why your view is so different from mine.

• Like 2

I dont trust anyone but more so in Thailand

That's a shame.

I think maybe that's language related? not fully understanding the language?

I think that's where lots of peoples mistrust of Thais comes from.

What shame? If you understand the language and somebody lies to you it somehow is not such a problem for you? Sounds like pretzel logic.

I stopped caring about getting stung for pitiful sums of money from shops, taxis etc a long time ago. For me the thought that if they need it so much, then I'm not going to let my day be ruined for few baht.

Same here, it really does not matter if you have paid a bit more for a taxi or some late night noodle soup- there really is more to life.

I hate the tourists on the beach hammering down the price of some sunglasses or whatever for half an hour- the guy selling them has to eat or feed his family.

I would be careful when dealing with some of the major hospitals, they do seem a bit gung ho with reccomending surgery ( not my experience but from a friend who was told he needed a 400 000 baht back operation )

I must sound naive. I've been coming/going to LOS for many years. I don't have much trouble with being ripped off. If I am I either don't know about it or don't care. Thai's always seem to be pretty decent to me. I have even had them come running after me with the change that I forgot to pick up. They often want to help me cross the street (that annoys me very much) but they are so sweet about it that I let them do it and when they want to walk for ages with me, well I bite my tongue. My tuk tuk drivers have known me for years. I get in, I don't tell them where I want to go and they don't ask. They know that I pay a certain price and quite often give a bit extra.

I have every confidence in the Ram in CM. I pay what they ask, but I seem to get a discount.....don't know why. Don't care.

On the other hand I am extremely wary of foreigners. If anyone is going to rip me off, it will be one of them. And even then....ah well that's another story. I just coast along in Thailand and quite happy to do so.

Edited by Gillyflower

I'm inclined to trust them Charlie, it is my opinion that the vast majority of Thais are decent and honest people. I could write a book about the honesty and helpfulness I have received from Thai people.

Nice to hear that. I can only say exactly the opposite. (I am saying this as I speak, read and write Thai) Of course I have come across a couple decent people, but not too many.

In general, Thais tend to palter. One thing I have learnt here that they never tell the truth. Not even to their closest relatives.

I find it funny when foreigners call their Thai acquaintences friends. Their way of living or culture doesn't require the sort of friends we got used to in western countries. Soul mates and confidants are rarities here.

Burgess, MaClean, Philby and Blunt. Benedict Arnold, John Walker, Jr., Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.

I stopped caring about getting stung for pitiful sums of money from shops, taxis etc a long time ago. For me the thought that if they need it so much, then I'm not going to let my day be ruined for few baht.

Same here, it really does not matter if you have paid a bit more for a taxi or some late night noodle soup- there really is more to life.

I hate the tourists on the beach hammering down the price of some sunglasses or whatever for half an hour- the guy selling them has to eat or feed his family.

I would be careful when dealing with some of the major hospitals, they do seem a bit gung ho with reccomending surgery ( not my experience but from a friend who was told he needed a 400 000 baht back operation )

If you are observant you will see the mental pause when they are thinking what to charge you. At that moment, ask them for a "farang discount." Never fails to get the actual Thai price.

Edited by unanimosity

Yes absolutely, I am pretty much on the defensive all the time calculating what angle someone maybe trying with me!
This I hasten to add is due to a cumulative experience within Asia over the past 20 years.
Every major city that attracts expats or tourists in the World has its scammers. My Asian (inc India) experience quickly thickened my skin and made me aware of my vulnerability as a non Asian in Asia.
Therefore now I prepare, avoid, even *retaliate.
*I have an effective and discrete method to administer disruptive retribution to Taxi Drivers/restaurants or shops who wanna play games (but that's another story for another topic maybe?)
The trick here is to remain happy, content and not let the prospect of being conned get you down.
Prepare to avoid a situation or subtly retaliate!

If you stand your ground over here and make sure you don't raise your voice or get angry, if you are in the right. then most times you will win, but I emphasis, only if you sre definitely in the right. I know from experience.

Yes absolutely, I am pretty much on the defensive all the time calculating what angle someone maybe trying with me!
This I hasten to add is due to a cumulative experience within Asia over the past 20 years.
Every major city that attracts expats or tourists in the World has its scammers. My Asian (inc India) experience quickly thickened my skin and made me aware of my vulnerability as a non Asian in Asia.
Therefore now I prepare, avoid, even *retaliate.
*I have an effective and discrete method to administer disruptive retribution to Taxi Drivers/restaurants or shops who wanna play games (but that's another story for another topic maybe?)
The trick here is to remain happy, content and not let the prospect of being conned get you down.
Prepare to avoid a situation or subtly retaliate!

Get that other topic running, I think it will also be very interesting.

I think if you live out in the country like i do,no,people are pretty honest and fair,that does change in the tourist area's,l stayed in Jomtien back in feb,for the first and last time on my way back home from Koh Chang,the hotel wanted 300 baht deposit for the key,i told the girl i was leaving at 6am ,so how would i get the deposit back,the security Guard will give it to you she said,of course the next morning the guard,did not have a key for the safe or money,i realised at once it was a rip off,he said i could wait until 8am,and reception was open,but i wanted to get an early start,clearly,either he,or the reception girl or both of them where lying,and i was a bit fed up with it,but as it was only 300 baht and i wanted to get home,i shrugged it off.

Only 300 Baht?? A very well known guesthouse in Chaing Mai, wanted 1000 Baht from me for the key.

If you are observant you will see the mental pause when they are thinking what to charge you. At that moment, ask them for a "farang discount." Never fails to get the actual Thai price.

Yes I see what you are saying- but what HeavyDrinker and myself are saying - it really does not matter if you pay a few baht more every now and then.

Would be different if we are talking about 1000s when dealing with contractors etc

If you trust Thais...I have several attractive real estate ladies I would like to introduce to you...

I flew here on Air Thai with Thai pilots. I had my heart operated on by Thai doctors in a Thai hospital with Thai nurses.

I don't trust all Thais. I don't distrust all Thais. What are you? What am I? I don't stereotype people based on nationality. You?

• Like 1

:...the people you encounter or have to use ?"

The people I have to use. Hmmm.

Aside from "deaf" farang wanting donations in exchange for key chains, I trust people here as much as I trust people anywhere.

Most of those who are cheated or scammed in Thailand have to be incredibly naive or starved for "friendship" at any cost or walking around with a (metaphorical) "Kick me" sign stuck to their backs.

I always find it both amazing and amusing that so many of them rush to Thai Visa to proclaim to the world how gullible they are, issuing warnings to others who they seem to assume are equally clueless ... well, I suppose they have probably chosen the right target population for the warnings anyway.

Kick_Me_(Printed_on_BACK)-y7iybr-d.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Take each day is it comes, watch your back, keep your head up and your eyes open and a hundred other cliches I could think of. We all get a bit jaded as we get older but normally common sense and a bit of intuition enables you to determine who may or may not be trustworthy. Remember your only paranoid IF they actually aren't out to get you thumbsup.gif

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, you never met my ex UK wife of 25 years...........coffee1.gif

He didn't meet my US wife of 20+ years either.

If you trust Thais...I have several attractive real estate ladies I would like to introduce to you...

I flew here on Air Thai with Thai pilots. I had my heart operated on by Thai doctors in a Thai hospital with Thai nurses.

I don't trust all Thais. I don't distrust all Thais. What are you? What am I? I don't stereotype people based on nationality. You?

There is a difference between competence and dishonesty.

• Like 1

I can only say what my experiences have been. Is it possible you have the opposite view because you live in a big town or city, and I live in a small village upcountry? Just trying to figure out why your view is so different from mine.

Probably because he understands Thai, and you don't, that's the usual reason.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1